Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best helmet!

Post Thanks / Like

Best helmet!

Okay... What is the best helmet out there around 250 dollars a little over is okay. I have the miller digital elite helmet and I'm not sure if it's me but I feel like it doesn't work the way it should I have had the lens replaced I'm on my second one but every time I weld my eyes feel really dry and my left eye is kind of red I don't know if I just have dry eyes and are paranoid or what but I'm taking a welding class at college that will cover mig tig and stick welding so I might get a new helmet Amy suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best helmet!

huntsman 411 50-60 bucks, Jackson 4x5 about the same, auto dark no complaints on a $100 lowes ad I bought it is better than my miller big elite[pos] I had, probably lots of companys now with 100 buck hoods the lowes was hydroglifics or some stupid name like that works good 3 yr. warrenty no questions asked

Post Thanks / Like

I like my nexgen alot. Works great welding pop cans and .009 razor blades and on 230 amps on AC.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Lowe's helmet and while I don't have a lot to compare it to I really like it. It says $129 on the website but when I put in my zip it was only $99 in the store.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_396400-47120...d=3773821&pl=1

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Jackson Balder W70. It's about $100 more than your limit, but I absolutely love it.

Irving, TX. Epicenter of the Metroplex!
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You already have it recheck the adjustments, darken it up a point or 2, get your eyes checked, sounds more like eye strain to me.

Have the same model, do not make my living welding, but do weld a fair amount Mig & Tig.
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Post Thanks / Like

I have made my living with the miller digital elite. I bought that helmet when I was just a hobbyist and now I am full time at 60+ hours a week. It is an awesome helmet. There is something else going on, i seriously doubt it is the helmet. Are you welding in X-mode or Weld mode? What are the current settings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    I have made my living with the miller digital elite. I bought that helmet when I was just a hobbyist and now I am full time at 60+ hours a week. It is an awesome helmet. There is something else going on, i seriously doubt it is the helmet. Are you welding in X-mode or Weld mode? What are the current settings?
    I am using weld mode on shade 11 delay 5-6 and sensitivity 6 most of the time on x-mode the settings are the same

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is Weld mode, shade 9, sensitivity 5 and delay 0. You should be more than protected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    Mine is Weld mode, shade 9, sensitivity 5 and delay 0. You should be more than protected.
    Can welding on a too dark of shade cause eye strain I mainly do mig welding on automotive fabrication. I don't wake up with arc eye in the night so I do not think it is getting burned? Maybe strain is causing tired eyes?

Post Thanks / Like

Ya man you don't wanna be on too low of a setting for high amps. You won't be able to see the puddle very good anyway becuase its too bright to look at

Post Thanks / Like

The Jackson Balder w70 is an awesome helmet and worth the extra money IMO

Post Thanks / Like

my eyes used to get tired when i was running an elite. it is since retired.

now i just run a fibremetal pipeliner with 2x 41/4" phillips safety "athermal" lens in shade 11 and i dont look back, and my eyes are nice and relaxed.

i also have an old huntsman with the fibremetal factory lens that i use for 20 amp SS work.

i also have a 30$ home depot lincoln hood with big lens (4x5 maybe? i never measured) that is ok, but if the sun is behind me, having that bigger lens just means more glare, so i learned that a small lens tight to your eyes is much better than a big one far away such as the lincoln or miller elite
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I make my living with the Lincoln 2450. The 3350 is a step up from mine. Both great hoods and I have zero complaints. If mine goes out I'll buy it again in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are getting red dry eyes from being surrouded by welding arcs other than yours when your hood is up. My eyes are almost always kind of crunchy and dryish in the morning because I work in a huge fab shop with over 15 welders welding all day. If you can, try to block out the others welder's arcs with curtins or just live with it. I use these artaficial tear eye drops called Systaine Ultra and they seriously work amazing for red dry annoyed welders eye. I cant imagine working around so much welders without them.
    Last edited by Lunchbox148; 07-31-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My digital helmet sits on the shelf now. The Fibre-Metal "pipeliner" for $60 was the best money I've spent in a long long time. I use it for both mig and stick and won't go back to an auto darkening helmet. I use a #10 gold Hobart Lens from Tractor Supply at around $9.00. Nothing fancy, but damn reliable. If I'm using a bigger 5/32" electrode or a 1/8" above 100 amps, I just wear light sunglasses under the hood.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Optrel e684. You did say "best helmet"!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Wondered if someone was going to chime in on optrel. I'm using a e680. I'd get another if I had to. It just works. And it's comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hicktown View Post
    The Jackson Balder w70 is an awesome helmet and worth the extra money IMO
    I looked this hood up because I too could use a new one. Just what (in your opinion) makes this hood so good? I don't mind a little more money if I get what I pay for.

Jim
    Jim,

I don't mean to be argumentative and cantankerous,
    but I am getting older and a bit crotchety!

Addendum; AND CRANKY

Post Thanks / Like

The term "best" is subjective and, at times, pretenious. You will be hard pressed to out-fox the versatility, functionalism, and performance of a basic FibreMetal Pipeliner w/ fixed lense. Mine is a modified white shell edition, with a Sellstrom FlipFront lense (#11 Phillips Gold). Basic and super functional.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

For TIG, I like my Viking 3350, but I picked up a Jackson WH10 the other day for my dual-shield test, #11 brown glass. The clear lens for chipping is more important than auto dark there.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

nothing beats an old school fibre-metal flip front. those fegelah looking futuristic a/d shields with the graphics look too showy for my taste. all hat and no cowboy.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I have the optrel in my sig line. I love it. One big plus for me is that when its in grind mode, you have a flashing red light that you can see on the top of the lens so you really cant flash yourself by leaving ur hood in grind mode on accident.

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Post Thanks / Like

i work with a guy with an ancient huntsman sliding lens that im a bit jealous of. he grinds comfortable.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RmRider15 View Post
    Okay... What is the best helmet out there around 250 dollars a little over is okay.
    It will be a cold day in he!! when I spend that kind of money on a welding hood! Iíd like to have all the money companies have spent on welding hoods for me over the years. They fall off your head into the bay, and sink like a rock, hard hat and all. Or some dumb ch!t kid moves your bucket, and puts it right in the path of a crawler crane, and everything gets smashed!
    I keep it simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400