+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about flattening out plate

Post Thanks / Like

Question about flattening out plate

I had a piece of 1/8" steel plate, and I decided to start building a roof for my wife's Polaris rzr. When I got the sheet on my fab table I noticed it has a bow in the sheet. How would y'all attempt to flatten it? Just heat and beat, or heat and sandwich between my table and a heavier piece of plate? I don't do a of sheet metal work so I would appreciate any advise. Thanks
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about flattening out plate

How bad is the bow, and how are you planning on attaching it? Bolting down may exert enough force to pull it into shape.That is a pretty heavy plate to attempt to do any stretching or shrinking if you have no experience. If you can cut the plate to size so that the plate is bowed evenly, you would probably be better off trying to make it work the way it is. If you have a decent size hammer you can work around the perimeter to stretch it out, but you will need a heavier plate laying under it on a concrete floor to act as your anvil. If you go about it bass ackwards you will only make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Fab View Post
    How bad is the bow, and how are you planning on attaching it? Bolting down may exert enough force to pull it into shape.That is a pretty heavy plate to attempt to do any stretching or shrinking if you have no experience. If you can cut the plate to size so that the plate is bowed evenly, you would probably be better off trying to make it work the way it is. If you have a decent size hammer you can work around the perimeter to stretch it out, but you will need a heavier plate laying under it on a concrete floor to act as your anvil. If you go about it bass ackwards you will only make it worse.
    Thanks, which side would u heat ?(the hump or the dent). I was thinking of putting the 1/8" plate on my 1/4" table ,heat the 1/8", then putting sum3/8" plate on top of the 1/8", and clamping securely until the 1/8" cools. Do y'all think it would work.
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit

Post Thanks / Like

You're best bet is to make the roof first and do any cutting, welding and bolting that needs to be done. Then if it is still bent, you can likely support it on 2x4's and stand on it to straighten it back out.

Don't heat it, with no experience on such thin material you're just going to make it worse then it is. Heat straightening is part science, part art, and mostly luck.
    Have we all gone mad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jw3 View Post
    Thanks, which side would u heat ?(the hump or the dent). I was thinking of putting the 1/8" plate on my 1/4" table ,heat the 1/8", then putting sum3/8" plate on top of the 1/8", and clamping securely until the 1/8" cools. Do y'all think it would work.
    No, it won't work. If it is warped, a section of the plate is stretched, then you can heat and quench it on the high side to shrink it down. If it is simply bent, then you would heat it right through and simply bend it back. If you need to stretch a section, just put on your ear plugs and safety glasses and grab a sledge hammer. IMO, due to lack of experience, you won't get the results you are after unless you have some one look at the plate to determinewhy the plate is deformed and show you where to massage it. It may just need a tweak in a shop press, but if it is stretched, the high spot will just spring to the other side every time you push it past center.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it won't work. If it is warped, a section of the plate is stretched, then you can heat and quench it on the high side to shrink it down. If it is simply bent, then you would heat it right through and simply bend it back. If you need to stretch a section, just put on your ear plugs and safety glasses and grab a sledge hammer. IMO, due to lack of experience, you won't get the results you are after unless you have some one look at the plate to determinewhy the plate is deformed and show you where to massage it. It may just need a tweak in a shop press, but if it is stretched, the high spot will just spring to the other side every time you push it past center.

Post Thanks / Like

!/8 inch plate is real overkill on such a small vehicle.WOW!
    !/8 plate weighs 5lbs. per square foot.

If you heat metal when it cools down and it shrinks.

A 3 foot by 3 foot plate would weigh 45 lbs.,!
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 04-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    !/8 inch plate is real overkill on such a small vehicle.WOW!
    !/8 plate weighs 5lbs. per square foot.

If you heat metal when it cools down and it shrinks.

A 3 foot by 3 foot plate would weigh 45 lbs.,!
    Donald. I had the plate for yrs. Just trying to use what I already had. Yes it is a little bit overkill but most o the things I build are
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit

Post Thanks / Like

For heat shrinking plate there are different techniques / methods. For thin small sections of plate I like to use a welding tip on an O/A torch, start in the middle of the hump and heat a series of dull red small circles. Being very careful not to use too much heat! Sometimes I'll let it cool naturally, other times I'll use a spray bottle of water.

For thick large sections of plate I'll use either a cutting tip or rose bud, and heat stripes. And use a water hose to cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

the method i would use is on the hump side start in the center and heat in and ever widening circle like a spiral watching the metal as it moves to straighten until the desired effect is complete. then i would blow low pressure compressed air on it to cool it slowly following the same circle pattern.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

In the grand scheme of things, 1/8" sheet is pretty easy to bend, I personally wouldn't bother with heat (although you've got some good advice on how to do it that way), I'd most likely either put it on some wooden blocks and hit it with a sledge (don't hit the sheet directly with the hammer, use wood) , clamp a bit of box with spacers to the bench and bend it by hand (depending on the size/length of the sheet), wedge it between a pipe and the wall and pull on it, or just tweak it with the press (if you have one).
    Last edited by Baila La Pinza; 04-06-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info y'all. I got started on the project this evening. Got alot done before my phone went to ringing again so back to work I go.
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbmprods View Post
    the method i would use is on the hump side start in the center and heat in and ever widening circle like a spiral watching the metal as it moves to straighten until the desired effect is complete. then i would blow low pressure compressed air on it to cool it slowly following the same circle pattern.
    This evening while heating the high side,instead of flattening out the hump grew. I got called back in to work so I didn't see what happened when it cooled. Does this sound right?
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit

Post Thanks / Like

This evening while heating the high side,instead of flattening out the hump grew. I got called back in to work so I didn't see what happened when it cooled. Does this sound right?
    Yes. The reason for the hump is because the metal is stretched and has no place to go but upwards( the rest of the plate stops it from going outward). When you heat it up, it expands even more. During cooling it will shrink back more than it had expanded, and should leave slighttly less of a hump than what you started with. By controlling the amount of input heat and the cooling rate you can return a plate to its original shape. However this takes a lot of practice, so don't expect perfect results.
    One other thing, don't start what you don't have time to finish. If you aren't there to watch it as it cools so that you can control the quench rate, you are relying too much on luck.
    If you see that you are making progress, then you are on the right track. If not, .........

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist