Thread: Flagpole

Post Thanks / Like

Flagpole

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to start building a flagpole this weekend. I chose Galvanized pipe, the upper part is 1-1/2" (1.9" OD) and the lower part is 2" pipe with an ID of about 2".

I need to weld them together, I was planning about 12-18" of the smaller pipe inside the larger. My supplier gave me some shims to use, but I was hoping someone might have some good tips on laying this out to be plumb and true.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flagpole

I built a similar flagpole years ago and I made four welds 90 degrees apart on the bottom of the smaller pipe and ground then until it would fit tight inside the larger one. I also drilled the larger one above there the smaller would end ( as you said 12" to 18" down) and plug welded it, then welded the joint. I ground everything smooth and filled with bondo and painted it. It came out awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I did similar for a different purpose. Drilled and tapped the larger pipe in thirds close to the bottom end of the smaller. It only needs to be tapped for something like 1/4" or 5/16ths", which ever you have on hand. Put a couple of small shims at the opening for tempory assistance. Running short bolts in allows you to infinitely tune the smaller tube for straight before welding and holds is true while welding. When you're done = leave the bolts for rigidity, take them out and plug weld the holes, cut them off and put button welds over them, do whatever.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

That bolt idea is cool, I'd have to check to make sure there is enough meat to tap the pipe and have a decent amount of strength in the bolt holes I guess. I'd hate to go to all the trouble and have this thing be cockeyed!

Post Thanks / Like

If there isn't enough meat, then drill holes and then tack nuts on the outside over the holes. Once it's welded grind the nuts off and plug weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought but what if you cross cut the 2" put a good clamp (pipe) and crushed it down to the 1 1/5 should evenly space as you tighten the clamp. Weld splits and around the top. Should work no? Any way just my 2 cents.....RED.
    Lincoln Percision tig 225 (Water cooled)
    Lincoln 350MP Power mig (with spool gun )
    Lincoln GXT 250 With Tig Module
    Lincoln Ln-25 Pro Dual Power
    Century 50 plasma cutter.now Lincoln .

Post Thanks / Like

So I went with the threaded bolt hole idea. Worked out pretty good. I used my drill press in the middle and supported each pipe with fixed supports on the other ends. I used my 4' level on each of the pipes until they were dead level, tacked that side then rotated and tacked the other four sides. Then I fully welded all the way around, pulled out the bolts and plug welded the holes. Looks pretty good!

On my mounting sleeve I welded a nut on to it but happened to use a galvanized one, I expected some ZnO2 fumes, but didn't expect the metal fire, that was kind of cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red One. View Post
    Just a thought but what if you cross cut the 2" put a good clamp (pipe) and crushed it down to the 1 1/5 should evenly space as you tighten the clamp. Weld splits and around the top. Should work no? Any way just my 2 cents.....RED.
    That sounds like a good idea to me. Basically make a collet out of the 2" pipe, insert smaller pipe and then close the 2" pipe around the smaller one, weld it up and grind smooth. I think this would make a very smooth transition. Just make sure you cut enough kerf out of the slits where it will close around the smaller pipe. That should take care of the top part of the joint...

For the bottom, to keep it centered, I would take some bare copper wire and wrap the bottom couple inches of the smaller pipe, tight and evenly so it is a tight fit inside the larger pipe. Do you know what the difference between the I.D. of the larger pipe and O.D. of the smaller pipe is?
    Powcon 400SM
    2-PD60 wire feeders
    Miller XR control
    Alumapro push/pull gun
    Speedglas 9100x
    BFH

Post Thanks / Like

The gap was about 1/8" all the way around, so pretty big. I ended up building a taper out of weld.

Post Thanks / Like

AND...Done!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice house, funny lookin flag though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not all confused with those pesky stars and bars, I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, there aren't any stars 'n stripes on that flag!!

Looks good tho.

I see you have the experts eye ballin for plumb.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
    Nice house, funny lookin flag though.
    It must be a State flag.

Maybe Vermont or Maine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salem747 View Post
    It's not all confused with those pesky stars and bars, I like it!
    You are right, I much prefer this one.

Post Thanks / Like

What are those pesky varments catterwallerin about it is perfect and correct to me...
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

"What are those pesky varments catterwallerin about it is perfect and correct to me..."

I dunno, something to do with some sort of garden party or tea party or something...

Post Thanks / Like

"What are those pesky varments catterwallerin about it is perfect and correct to me..."

I dunno, something to do with some sort of garden party or tea party or something...
    TEA PARTY ON BABY!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the ending of your thread salem. Like a good movie where the killer is someone you didn't suspect! All the American flag waving that goes on, on this site, I was expecting the usual ending. But no!!!!! You go and whip out the good ol' Maple Leaf!!! Well played sir, well played!
    Not a sports fan, but Go Canucks !
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

I dig it. but can the mower get between the pole and the fence?

Post Thanks / Like

garden party or tea party or something...
    Where are you bud? You should say in your location box too but I'm just curious? And if your mower does fit in there you need a bigger mower.;.. So now you say "lets go shoppin".
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why the weed whipper was invented! But our push mower fits in there.