+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Very neat old machine but I would have restored it to look like it did in the Lincoln video. Personally I think the extra stickers and writing on the sides cheapens it, for lack of a better term.

2. Likes John T, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Very neat old machine but I would have restored it to look like it did in the Lincoln video. Personally I think the extra stickers and writing on the sides cheapens it, for lack of a better term.
    Didn't seem to bother the dozen or so buyers from USA and Europe itching to make the deal. That list is stapled to my will for my family todo whatever they want when i croak. I'm sorry some vinyl stickers triggered your comment concerning the 1st welding machine built by Caterpillar. 1st of 25 total.

4. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    Didn't seem to bother the dozen or so buyers from USA and Europe itching to make the deal. That list is stapled to my will for my family todo whatever they want when i croak. I'm sorry some vinyl stickers triggered your comment concerning the 1st welding machine built by Caterpillar. 1st of 25 total.
    Myself... the stickers don't bother me. Pretty cool to see what may be the only survivor running. Big thumbs up wrenchguy.

6. Likes ronsii, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes altering a classic and/or rare machine lessons the value. If you had an original 427 Cobra and painted it pink people would still be interested, because of what it is, but would probably bring a higher price painted the original color. Caterpillar may have put it together but the welding end is made by Lincoln (maybe built special for Caterpillar). It is a neat rare machine to display but doesn't need to look like it's powering rides at the circus. Sorry.

8. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry some vinyl stickers triggered your comment concerning the 1st welding machine built by Caterpillar. 1st of 25 total.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's hard to hear especially after all the work you put into it.
    Great job!

But the fact is, The stickers DO look like crap.
    maybe if it was a couple stickers... it wouldn't be so bad... ?
    But right now it's approaching gaudy.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

10. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's hard to hear especially after all the work you put into it.
    Great job!

But the fact is, The stickers DO look like crap.
    maybe if it was a couple stickers... it wouldn't be so bad... ?
    But right now it's approaching gaudy.
    It's his machine... Maybe you and Dave can pool up and bid on buying it and strip the stickers. I've never said I thought your garage was gaudy...

BTW John... that's just a little good natured ribbing, but maybe you get the idea...
    Last edited by 12V71; 08-26-2020 at 01:20 AM.

12. Likes ronsii, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Water off a ducks back

Which is the way any comment should be taken.

Welcome to the WWW
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

14. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like stickers might as well put an auto idle sucks sticker on it. The stickers distract from what it is.

16. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From post 1 here its been known i would show this thing, i want to attract attention to it at shows. For 35 years its my goal to get younger people interested in VINTAGE EQUIPMENT. Blinging it as circus ride/tent attacks eyes. Stickers come off, axles come off, back to original easypeasy. I have dozens of "original" equipment videos of my stuff on my tube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/d4mike01/videos. 3 pieces on there been blinged up out of the 20 different pieces in the corral.

Whats the thoughts of guys chopping/customizing 200 pipeliners and junior pipeliners. My view is i'd get bored looking at row of made in the mold originals.
    good luck with ur projects,
    "ducks back"

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrenchguy, I for one really appreciate the work that you put into the restoration as well as sharing your journey. By doing so you have not only preserved history for future generations, you have also freely given of your knowledge of the restoration process, which has benefited others that have read this thread.

What is next on your project list?
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

20. Likes ronsii, FlyFishn, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a difference between customizing and restoring. There's no rows of Cat twin welders. The machine itself would attract attention. It doesn't need extra bling to do that and does as you say "attack" the eyes. The guys chopping and customizing their SA200's are usually making a living with them and in some ways it's advertising for their craftsmanship. If they did a terrible job they would get a bad reputation. I have a 1961 SA200 that some purists would shake their head at because it has an under hood muffler. It's still in it's working clothes though and not restored. Restoring machines to as they left factory condition appeals to the most people. Having a poster beside the machine at a show explaining what it is would be a better option in my opinion. Before and after pics. of the restoration back to factory condition would be the best especially if you showed the original pic. from Cat.

22. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edit, "attract eyes".
    Dave u get last words forever. I'll respond when something about the low commutator bar is posted.
    sc, theres 3-6 things going on at once around here. Plus just keeping stuff running. I usually post up projects on my tube channel. nuff said.

24. Likes scsmith42, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave just likes to find fault with anything and anybody. It's just the way he is so best anyone can do is put him on the ignore list.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

26. Likes ronsii, FlyFishn, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very funny thread.

Facts:
    Awesome job on the restoration
    Stickers look like crap
    Opinions mean nothing.
    Contradictory is business as usual

So thats my stance.

Wheres uncle Opus when you need him?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

28. Likes scsmith42, Welder Dave, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrenchguy, wish I could offer help with the commutator issue, but have no knowledge in regards to that. That is an amazing looking machine please keep doing what you do and keep posting here, I for one really enjoy your posts. I am guessing that Duane would be the person most likely to be able to help with your problem, but I imagine he is trying not to get washed out to sea right now with where the storm is coming ashore.
    Mike

30. Likes ronsii, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s all keep Duane in our thoughts. Looks like the bullseye was on him tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

32. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited it for ya.

Fact:
    Awesome job on the restoration
    That's the only fact that matters The rest are like Aholes. Everyone's got one.

As to the commutator issue - I would be curious if an old-school motor repair shop would be able to guide you on that one, wrenchguy?

The video on the restoration of the 1936 SA 200 (sticky thread here) had footage of one such shop. I don't recall who/what the shop was, but maybe if you scan back around there you can find out. Perhaps they would be good ones to contact - or at least another similar old-school motor shop.

34. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to get honest feed back good or bad, don't post on a forum. Opinions can vary but you have to take the good with the bad. I agree the restoration is awesome but the stickers do take away from that.

36. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

John T

Very funny thread.
    Where's uncle Opus when you need him?
    Fuzzy Dice would distract your attention from the cheap [misguided] signage.

I find the trailer more offensive than the redundant placards - it is wholly
    incongruous with a restoration of this stature . . .

Always at your service . . .

Opus

38. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stickers? What stickers?
    All I saw was one fine *** welder!
    Good job wrenchguy!

40. Likes leightrepairs, wrenchguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrenchguy,that machine is awsome!My Dad used to say some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope!Its your machine!
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome machine and restore. Thanks for bringing it back. It’s your machine, you put any kind of decal you want. Maybe jealousy has reared it’s head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Great engine with great welder.
    Great job of rebuilding

Dave

Video,

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought,could you tig that comutater up with copper?this is completly out of my wheel house
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen this thread in such a long time. Good to see you wrenchguy Mike. I know we've talked in the past, and I just checked I still have your number unless it changed. I will give you a call, maybe I can finally get over by you to see these big dogs.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

46. Likes wrenchguy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist