+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

it looks like the "missing brush" is on the exciter. . . .which was apparently made in spanish cause i dont understand it. . . . . . .

ive jumped a few times scrolling down and seeing it that way, but it was apparently run for a while like that so im guessing its factory. . . . . kind of weird
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

If you consider cleaning up the commutator with sandpaper do not use emery cloth!! The abrasive is conductive and will wreak havoc with the machine electrically if used and not cleaned out thoroughly. When I mean thorough, I don't think you could clean it up sufficiently and it remain together.

Best purchase a commutator stone to dress this item.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

bwparts.com

stumpfweldingsupplies.com

billswelderrepair.com

weldmart.com

all good sources of information and helpful people in my experience. i hope i didnt leave any out
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

4th pic is left side of exciter, 8th pic is right side of exciter.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope 1 day to make the welder run and look like this project i just finished, i'm nuts 4 old Caterpillars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
    it looks like the "missing brush" is on the exciter. . . .which was apparently made in spanish cause i dont understand it. . . . . . .

ive jumped a few times scrolling down and seeing it that way, but it was apparently run for a while like that so im guessing its factory. . . . . kind of weird
    Its 60 years old and 4 sure messed with, i wouldn't take anything as factory. thanks every1

Post Thanks / Like

There is a like machine on ebay now. This one is set up for dual operators. I don't think this one is as old as your machine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221837013504...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dan D
    Manipulator Of Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get this machine to weld I was just curious ?

Post Thanks / Like

not yet, picking up new axles 4 it this week, got 2 make it mobile b4 going further

Post Thanks / Like

the ebay machine above has been purchased by a caterpillar collector and heading to Minnesota, its a 1963 model using a cat d311-h engine.

Name:  D311 Twin Arc Welder 001.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  $_57-2.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 1426
Size:  104.1 KB
    Last edited by wrenchguy; 09-10-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

brochure pages of my Cat d315 twin arc welding machine.

Name:  img180.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  28.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Today i recoupled the welder to engine, removed brushes, cleaned commutators, reinstalled brushes. I noted the chips and grooves the brushes showed b4 installing. They maybe original to the machine. I covered 6 bare wires in control boxes and 1 on the exciter temporary with tape. Machine #1 would strike arc but not able to continue a bead, but more than just sparkle. [kinda hard 2 explain]. Machine #2 seemed to weld ok but not super with the 1/8" rod i had. 1 brush tension spring mount tang broke while messing with the exciter brushes and didn't hold correct tension. Am i correct assuming both machines work off 1 set of exciter brushes, and can i move the exciter brushes to the other mounts? thanks 4 looking & help.

Name:  SAM_0008.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  49.9 KBName:  SAM_0010.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  42.7 KBName:  SAM_0011.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  57.9 KBName:  SAM_0012.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  53.1 KB

the gobs in the center r from machine 1, the beads left and right of center r from machine 2.

Name:  SAM_0005.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  72.0 KB

The welding machine commutators kinda glazed up after a hour of running????

Post Thanks / Like

Thought i'd share some info from Lincoln about this 2 operator welding machine, mentions my code number at bottom of page.

wiring diagram 4 my machine.

Last edited by wrenchguy; 10-09-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty neat.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw your build on smokstak - cool! This place is the Lincoln experts.... judging by the weld and the appearance of the machine I wonder if the exciter is doing its thing, and is all the juice reaching the main generator?
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickel_city_fab View Post
    I saw your build on smokstak - cool! This place is the Lincoln experts.... judging by the weld and the appearance of the machine I wonder if the exciter is doing its thing, and is all the juice reaching the main generator?

I have a local help who is proficient with motors and generators. We are going to repair and rewire everything we can reach. Every connection is rusted/corroded bad.

I been reading alot about the Lincoln builds here, especially the shortys, i guess i'm working on a extra longy being the hood is just under 10'.
    Its in disassembly now.

Name:  SAM_0052.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  110.1 KB

17. Likes John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    I have a local help who is proficient with motors and generators. We are going to repair and rewire everything we can reach. Every connection is rusted/corroded bad.

I been reading alot about the Lincoln builds here, especially the shortys, i guess i'm working on a extra longy being the hood is just under 10'.
    Its in disassembly now.
    We don't see too many of those around here, yours might be the first one that I know of anyways.. congrats! Somewhat rare beast you have there as far as I know. Hope you document it as much as possible, somebody else might need the info someday.
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

more taking it apart.

gallon can of thinner for size comparison.

reactor for machine #2 that wouldn't make a bead, it has disconnected/broke electrode strap at the connection at the bottom outa sight.

Post Thanks / Like

more taking apart which i'm good at.
    Name:  SAM_0111.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  75.6 KB

at point of pencil cardboard broken away with windings showing.
    Name:  SAM_0112.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  63.8 KB

skid turned into trailer.
    Name:  SAM_0106.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  119.8 KB

21. Likes John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job so far Mike! Keep at it even if the weather turns foul! Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    Nice Job so far Mike! Keep at it even if the weather turns foul! Jeff
    yep, getting the bigger stuff done outside that i can't get in the shop because of other projects, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Mike. Man you have really got into yours. I got mine setting in the shop also. Will have to start a post with some pictures one of these day. Just been real busy with to many other projects. I hope I dont need have to go as deep as yours. Mine welded great when I played with it one day but need paint and some cosmetic work along wih new axles.

Post Thanks / Like

can someone provide the test values of the fdr 125 b exciter coils used on my sae 300 welder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post

In conversation with a old school welder repair guy about this exciter and missing brushes he said "it is a optional oversize exciter but the second set of brushes weren't installed but could be if needed for another 15 amps." he said "most likely for a early style wire feeder or other accessory. "

Post Thanks / Like

pounding out dents, taking most parts to bare metal removing loose and feathering the mill scale, priming and finish paint. 1 bite at a time.

bare metal fuel tank in back ready for primer

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist