Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine today

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

To OP, Just toooo COOL!!!

Another coincidence!

I've honestly have never seen a CAT powered Lincoln Electric, but here this,your thread is.

I was just dreamed up such a rig on CAT steroids (in self-depricating humor, that nobody understood, apparently).
    posted here.
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...21#post7538921

Here's another one, (well kinda).

I am so sold on Caterpillar.
    CAT Diesel runs in the family.
    My Grandfather dozed with em and engineered all sorts of stuff for them
    from Heavy Equipment to Offshore Oil Drilling Rigs.

I drove a brand new rig equipped with a 3406C "four and a quarter" Cat and 13 speed.
    That was 23 years ago. At the time, that was the bees' neeze.

And I'm so fallin' for Lincoln, real hard, now that I've seen this thread.

I feel like I am looking at the holy grail of welders.

Pardon me if I have a feel-good moment.

GO CAT

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Lord, have mercy!

What are the generator's output specs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I became caretaker of Caterpillar D315 Lincoln 300x2 Twin Arc welding machine tod

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    still plugging away with some easy assembly required. everything is painted, picking up decals and fenders tomorrow.

VERY NICE WORK!!!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinhit View Post
    Lord, have mercy!

What are the generator's output specs?
    look here for final finished video of the navy genset.

please maybe look at all my old equiptment videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...5FyObT68C1OpvQ

u have vintage fossil fuel guzzling cat stuff? i like makin smoke
    and fossil fuel is yummy!

there be lots of smoke here, http://www.hcea.net/resources/Docume...Res%200713.pdf
    Last edited by wrenchguy; 08-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchguy View Post
    look here for final finished video of the navy genset.

please maybe look at all my old equiptment videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9X...5FyObT68C1OpvQ

u have vintage fossil fuel guzzling cat stuff? i like makin smoke
    and fossil fuel is yummy!

there be lots of smoke here, http://www.hcea.net/resources/Docume...Res%200713.pdf

No sir, I don't have any vintage or modern CATs. I used to drive big rigs and one CAT that sticks out in my mind was a brand new '92/'93 "thirteen letter poo-poo spreader" that was loaded to the gills with CAT Diesel Power! A 425hp 3406C, to be exact. Buddy, that CAT was a work of absolute sulfuric truckin' art. Behind it was a Fuller Roadranger 13 spd, with 3.73:1 twin screws. After a long stint with 350 and 400 Cummins, the CAT just.... good grief, I can't tell you the joy it
    was to drive that truck. You could lug that engine all the way down into the 12-1300 rpm range! Cummins were "ok" but they loved to run on the high side, closer
    to the governor, or else, they got hot under the collar. Because of this, on a grade, you had to gear down and run it against as close to the governor as possible, whereas the CAT could slow down and hold 'er. Avg. fuel consumption for a coast to coast (3000 mile) trip, fully loaded (80k lbs) was about 4 mpg, whereas the CAT delivered at 6 mpg on average. Interesting how they managed to pull that off. It was a great truck. I've driven other CATs but that one stood out. It could really pull. They called them "Large Cars".

Beside that, I also drove for a dirt haulin' outfit. They ran semi-bottoms, double bottoms, end-dumps, water wagons, roll-offs, low-boys (they had their own loaders, graders, dozers etc). For me, the CATs were the ones to watch. That was twenty years ago, now. Time sure flies.
    But as mentioned, my grand-dad had operated CATs and designed CAT equipment as well as Oil Rig mounting platforms to be fitted with CAT engines.
    He had also operated D-model CATs during WWII while hitched with the Army Corps of Engineers.
    I even have his old Caterpillar dozer cuff-links.

IF I were to drop a list of favorites, for me, the pecking order was and remainis CAT, Detroit Diesel, then Cummins.
    Detroits were fun to drive, too. 6-71s, 8v71s, 8v92s. Those blowers on top of the v8s would scream "Big Daddy Don Garlits"
    better than any diesel I know. I swear you floor that engine and you felt like the king of drag racing, despite the fact that the
    little old lady from Pasadena left you in her dust at the light. LOL. The Jimmys had a whine that just puts a grin on your face,
    especially when you were shiftin' twin-stick 5&4s in needle nose Petes.

I have since heard that CAT halted road engine production. I was sadden to hear that. But I am one of the lucky
    few who got to drive what would be among the last Road CATs.

Nevertheless, Caterpillar is just worlds apart and head and shoulders above the rest in their respective industries.
    I had seen the BIG CAT generator sets. Truly monsters. The first one I saw was at the local CAT dealer. They had it
    sitting in the shop and fired it up. Talk about loud.

Oh yes... I know what it's like. "God! I love the smell of diesel in the mornin'!"
    (looks left, looks right - some folks sniff glue others sniff diesel)

btw, I think you said that it's 3Ř, but you have what appears to be 8 120v receptacles and 1 240v mounted to the breaker box.
    I am assuming these are 1Ř (hi-lo volt) receptacles, on it. Am I correct? IF so is the 3Ř routed out elsewhere? (maybe I missed it)

Thanks again, for sharin' that 13-66. They sure knew how to build them, back then, didn't they??

Post Thanks / Like

PS, before I forget.....
    I noticed that your 13-66 gen set was practically sitting on the ground.
    Being the weight that it is.... if that were my rig, I'd probably want to bolt it down to some heavy I-beams,
    as a precautionary measure with axle mounting holes and a hitch apparatus so that it can be easily rolled in
    and out of the garage..

Something like the chassis in the pic, below.

(In fact, I've got just the design that would work, in mind)

Oh... and my main present squeeze is trying to set up a small metal-fab and machine shop.
    Got a small garage full of Gen. Machine shop equipment. Bridgeport, Brown and Sharpe South Bend. among others.
    It's not much by any stretch. IF I had the room, I'd gladly taken that BIG old Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill a friend had,
    and add A 24" Cincinnati Shaper.
    Some of it came out of General Dynamics / Convair and (a Dake No. 3 Arbor Press) out of Northrop's facility at Plant 42.
    Last edited by Twinhit; 08-12-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry wrenchguy, these things just get my imagination pumpin', when that happens I start to brainstorm and draw up engineering drawings for
    better mousetraps. I can't help myself. it's a passion I have. I hope you understand.

Fuel consumption for diesel powered 66 kW generators @ 60 Hz is about 5.56 gph (gal. per hour).
    Current Diesel fuel prices at the Petro, in Gary, Indiana is around $2.20 per gal.

Cost of running that generator, I think at full (66kw) capacity, is $12.23 per hour.

For those who may be into "strategic relocation" and "living off the grid", who might elect to use such fossil fuel generators, I might suggest
    using multiple sized generators. Wrenguy's 13-66 is fine if you're running a full on shop, and would be the big boy of the bunch.
    I'd be inclined to set up my compound with multiple generators in multiple sizes.
    Because they are loud, I'd be inclined to build subterranean generator shelters so as to keep the noise down. Countermeasures to insure
    against flooding, mildew, mold, humidity and moisture will be critical key points to go over, develop and implement. A passageway between
    living quarters and the power generating station should also be in place and the foregoing countermeasures applied there as well as the living quarters.
    Last edited by Twinhit; 08-12-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I see you also have interest in the CAT dozers.

Here's my Grandson back in 2010 on a Model 15 at the local
    Hawthorne Equipment here in So. Cal.

I hope he grows up with a appreciation for old stuff like I do.
    Old trucks, old pickups, old cars, old motorcycles, old machinery, heavy equipment, old tools, old planes and
    old ships. A love of the Bible, The Truth, history, honest hard work, fierce determination, treating and dealing others right.
    That he will be there for those in need and rise to the occasion when necessity calls. Doing so with admirable
    humility and humbleness of heart.
    But most importantly, I hope and pray that he will have an enduring and true loving obedient relationship with God and His
    Son, Jesus Christ. That is my greatest hope, of all.

Anyway, fun subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen brother. Well said

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

ok twinhit ur cleared to land. it'll take me quite a bit to digest it all as this is real busy time getting this thing done. good luck toyou.

Post Thanks / Like

wrench,

Nice project. Looks like you're gonna need something else to start on soon though. How about this one?

Name:  9 17 11 006.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  69.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad that SIXTY ain't a side boom,Wrench could tow the welder and lay pipe at the same time!
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing resto work and fabrication of replacement panels!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    wrench,

Nice project. Looks like you're gonna need something else to start on soon though. How about this one?

Name:  9 17 11 006.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  69.1 KB
    You youngsters see the bar stuck in the flywheel? That's the starter!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

AH! The ARMSTRONG starter!
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG!!!! "There are three kinds of men.The ones that learn by readin'.The few who learn by observation.The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves"-Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

i seen several guys start dem 60's using the bottom of their shoe to get flywheel spinning then spark or compress the engine. i guess kinda like hit n miss. i think tube got videos…….

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You gotta stop by more often Kaye!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Kaye. We need your guidance here from time to time

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

i never did buy anything from kaye, but from the recommends here when i contacted bills she answered the phone and answered my questions . even helped with stuff i hadn't even asked about. she took time to send pdf files about like all the old sae300's which i learned a lot from. thanks 4 the comments so far.

Post Thanks / Like

more progress pics,

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wrenchguy, I do believe when you're finished she'll look like she just came off the assembly line, maybe even better!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing work and attention to detail!
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!