+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some prework for my rail job this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Some prework for my rail job this weekend

The customer ordered all the ballisters and handrail prefabbed from a shop in china. Everything has been close-ish, but they made a mistake and sent 3 too many doubles, and 3 too few singles. Name:  IMG_3473.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  115.4 KB
    First step was to get everything cut apart. Name:  IMG_3479.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  116.2 KB
    The round bar they use was 16 mm, I used 5/8 hot roll. Drilled and tapped the end 8mm to screw onto the existing studs. Name:  IMG_3474.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  118.7 KBName:  IMG_3475.jpg
Size:  124.1 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

2. Likes Freebirdwelds, SweetMK, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some prework for my rail job this weekend

Got the ends welded on. Name:  IMG_3480.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  135.9 KBName:  IMG_3481.jpg
Size:  127.4 KB
    Blended out and ready for install. Name:  IMG_3482.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  111.3 KB
    This was a lot simpler to do in the shop, rather than in the field. I’m hoping to finish the installation this coming Saturday, and I’ll get some pictures then. There are 8 flights of stairs, 6-7 steps each, with landings in between. It’s been interesting!
    Edit- what I meant to say was 4 flights of stairs, 4 landings. 8 sections of rail total. I type faster than I think sometimes!
    Last edited by rancher76; 5 Days Ago at 07:42 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Job!
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

5. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford, NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet... I would have been sweating bullets until I got the first one welded. With my luck they would have been some un-weldable white metal alloy. Nice work...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

7. Likes 52 Ford, NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Sweet... I would have been sweating bullets until I got the first one welded. With my luck they would have been some un-weldable white metal alloy. Nice work...
    Been there, done that. I got this big, fancy, cast bronze urn thing from a job (homeowner's wife was an artist and collected all sorts of stuff) and I wanted to turn it into a flower pot. Got the top cut off, then wanted to braze something onto it. I did a test on the offcut with a MAPP torch to see if I could use solder before I got out the oxy torch.... Melted it! Turns out it was some sort of pot metal. Still turned out fine. Just couldn't add handles to the side of it
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 5 Days Ago at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

9. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    It had already been welded, so I wasn’t too worried. It actually welded pretty nicely.
    And thank you!
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

11. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    Nice Job!
    Thank you!
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

13. Likes Freebirdwelds, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been a great customer to work for. He is pretty sharp and has been helping me so I didn’t have to hire help. And he’s dang good help. He was telling me about working with the Chinese company. He drew up his staircase, sent them the prints. They then built his staircase profile out of square tubing for a jig, and built off of that. Lots of pictures and communication back and forth though the whole fabrication process. Took about 4 months, start to finish. He had been quoted $350/ft from local shops. The overseas company fabricated, painted, and shipped to his house for $100/foot. It’s pretty good quality stuff. There’s things that you can nitpick about it, but you can with about anything. It’s unbelievable to me how they can do it.
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

15. Likes Lis2323, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rancher76 View Post
    It has been a great customer to work for. He is pretty sharp and has been helping me so I didn’t have to hire help. And he’s dang good help. He was telling me about working with the Chinese company. He drew up his staircase, sent them the prints. They then built his staircase profile out of square tubing for a jig, and built off of that. Lots of pictures and communication back and forth though the whole fabrication process. Took about 4 months, start to finish. He had been quoted $350/ft from local shops. The overseas company fabricated, painted, and shipped to his house for $100/foot. It’s pretty good quality stuff. There’s things that you can nitpick about it, but you can with about anything. It’s unbelievable to me how they can do it.
    Cheap steel and cheap labor in China.

If I'm thinking right, that'd be... $5K-ish from Chicom vs $17,500 from a local company? Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit. 7 steps, 7-1/2" rise, 11" run. 8-ish foot rail * 8... $6400

Post Thanks / Like

Made the adapters for the top of the ballisters. Started with 5/8” hot roll. Turned it down and put in a relief for me to stop the threads on, 12x1.75. I’m really liking this carbide insert for single point thread cutting! From right to left- round stock I started with, reduced diameter for threading, finished adapter. Where the corners meet on the staircase, I am having to cut off the original mount, and they aren’t long enough to reuse.
    Name:  IMG_3500.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  127.0 KB
    Last edited by rancher76; 3 Days Ago at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

18. Likes Lis2323, itcanbewelded liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Wonder what the local shop was building it out of. $350 a ft would build some really impressive stuff. I am building some hand rails now and about half the job is aluminum rails with a complex design and i still ain’t hitting $100 per ft. The same customer wants a 2 flight 3 landing staircase built from aluminum and although it will be more per ft than the handrails, i have a hard time finding a way to justify $350 a ft. The company musta been busy and didn’t want the work.
    Some people advocate "thinking outside the box". The rest of us believe that the box doesn't exist until we have designed and built it.

Miller 255, Miller 211, Miller Bobcat 225, Umprotech 2000w laser welder, Eastwood TIG, Hypertherm 45

20. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itcanbewelded View Post
    Wow! Wonder what the local shop was building it out of. $350 a ft would build some really impressive stuff. I am building some hand rails now and about half the job is aluminum rails with a complex design and i still ain’t hitting $100 per ft. The same customer wants a 2 flight 3 landing staircase built from aluminum and although it will be more per ft than the handrails, i have a hard time finding a way to justify $350 a ft. The company musta been busy and didn’t want the work.
    I haven't messed with aluminum railings since before Covid, so I'm completely out of the loop on pricing, but $350/ft is an insult.

22. Likes itcanbewelded liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll try to get some more details from him tomorrow while I’m there. Maybe he’s feeding me a line, I really don’t know. The most I’ve done with the ornamental stuff is built a few gates years ago, and I ordered all the materials for it from Kings Architectural in Dallas. Structural sizes, I can bid and estimate. This stuff, I would have to do some research.
    Got the old farm rig loaded up and ready to head out in the morning, I’m hoping to be on the road by 5:30, it’s just shy of two hours to get to the job site. Name:  IMG_3506.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  207.2 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll try to get some more details from him tomorrow while I’m there. Maybe he’s feeding me a line, I really don’t know. The most I’ve done with the ornamental stuff is built a few gates years ago, and I ordered all the materials for it from Kings Architectural in Dallas. Structural sizes, I can bid and estimate. This stuff, I would have to do some research.
    Got the old farm rig loaded up and ready to head out in the morning, I’m hoping to be on the road by 5:30, it’s just shy of two hours to get to the job site. Name:  IMG_3506.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  207.2 KB
    Good looking truck.

25. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itcanbewelded View Post
    Since you put it out there…

??? Really.

If you are not hitting $100/ft and doing ally, Seems like maybe local pricing issue? But probably your choice and trouble “justifying” it. Run some numbers, what is your actual hourly rate earned(rhetorical). No issue if you are sitting fat.

10 ft of straight stairs for 3500$. Seems fine to me?

If the client can get stairs for 100/ft. Great. Maybe in 2000, I could have entrained that rate. If I can’t compete the I do something else or find paying clients.

No disrespect intended with this post.

27. Likes 52 Ford, itcanbewelded liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post

??? Really.

If you are not hitting $100/ft and doing ally, Seems like maybe local pricing issue? But probably your choice and trouble “justifying” it. Run some numbers, what is your actual hourly rate earned(rhetorical). No issue if you are sitting fat.

If the client can get stairs for 100/ft. Great. Maybe in 2000, I could have entrained that rate. If I can’t compete the I do something else or find paying clients.

Commercial or residential?

Post Thanks / Like

??? Really.

I kinda like where this conversation is going…but don’t want to hijack this thread. I will start a new one on the subject.
    Some people advocate "thinking outside the box". The rest of us believe that the box doesn't exist until we have designed and built it.

Miller 255, Miller 211, Miller Bobcat 225, Umprotech 2000w laser welder, Eastwood TIG, Hypertherm 45

Post Thanks / Like

Got some pictures today before I left, the 6 month old grandson is coming over and I need to get home! I asked him about the bid he got, it wasn’t a formal bid, just the shop saying that was a good budgetary number. The last few pieces from china were too short, I’m bringing them home to fix, and have to make two more singles from the doubles, too. I should finish next Saturday, I’m ready to have this behind me. We got a call to bale 200 acres of rye cover crop, so I need to be getting to the field, too. No rest for the wicked!
    Name:  IMG_3508.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  71.8 KBName:  IMG_3510.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  73.7 KBName:  IMG_3511.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  IMG_3513.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

31. Likes Lis2323, 52 Ford, Freebirdwelds, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's some interesting stuff you're doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Good looking truck.
    Thank you! I’ve had it for 20 years, it’s my go to. The wife wonders why I leave the newer one in the shed, I just like driving this one. 6 speed manual and kinda noisy diesel…it makes you feel like you’re in a truck.
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear..........every time I look at that railing I gotta figure there's some really skinny folks living in that house. Get an old fat boy leaning' up against them, and they'll buckle. They chose 'em, so I guess they'll have to live with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks sturdy to me. Also, several turns and short runs help the integrity.

I was just wondering about the large gap at the transitions.

37. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks sturdy to me. Also, several turns and short runs help the integrity.

I was just wondering about the large gap at the transitions.
    Historic building?

Post Thanks / Like

It’s new construction, a single family dwelling. It’s not my taste, but it’s theirs and they are writing the check. As far as the gaps at the transitions, we are going back with singles to finish them out. And for Sam’s comment, I am 6’2”, 250 pounds on my skinny days. And I absolutely don’t like how the railing feels, either. I don’t think it will catastrophically fail, I guess I am just used to industrial and cattle fencing. But again, I am just the welder on the job, not my design or taste!
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Hobart Champion 10000
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor O/A journeyman
    Primeweld 225
    Clausing 13x40 lathe
    Enco 9x42 knee mill

40. Likes SusKatCas, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How is the Newell attached? Were you able to penetrate the floor? That area will definitely wear and probably the toughest area to affix solidly if there if no agreement with the builder prior to install. Often amazes me how rails were finished 40 years ago and longer. Though not code compliant(short or wide gap), most often soundly attached. Now it is acceptable to hope one hit blocking underneath the finished area. Occasional I will get a contractor who request special provision for install.

42. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist