+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 200 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap metal art or projects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scrap metal art or projects

thanks psacustomcreations, sometimes i'm limited to what i find when i decide to build and i'm still learning what makes things look certain ways when done. i usually have a vision of the finished look or a request from someone to build one of these. my wife even started to hunt scrap for me. copper is hard to come buy because so many people are trying to recycle for money and and i haven't found a cheap source.
    also i checked out your website nice work, where do you get the tanks from. i'm inspired by your work and would love to try to make a chime for the yard
    rob
    Last edited by rob214; 04-27-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks. I get my scuba tanks by visiting all the dive shops in my area. I generally don't pay more than scrap price if possible. The most I usually pay is $10-15. The old steel tanks sound the best. The aluminum tanks are too thick to use for a bell normally.
    I get the fire extinguishers and some cylinders from a place that hydrostatic tests them. The owner is a part time fire fighter. I worked out a deal where I make lamps from the extinguishers and scba and trade them to the test shop for more.
    I would suggest bringing a few pieces with you to show you are not a scrapper.
    If the test place or extinguisher company is run by fire fighters, maybe think about making a fire engine like your other pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks for the info, my little girl takes swim lessons from the local dive shop so i'll start there.

rob

Post Thanks / Like

I made another big bell. This one is out of a very large propane tank. I still need to made the stand for it, I just put it on the sun, moon, and star bell stand to see what it sounds like.

Name:  DSCF0491.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  69.3 KBName:  DSCF0492.jpg
Views: 3684
Size:  56.3 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

That's not a big bell,

This is a big bell!!

9 feet tall and weights in around 300 lbs!

The cylinder is 5 feet tall and 9.5 inches in diameter..

Name:  lrg_nucleus.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  129.9 KB
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

Hah, Thanks Kevin.

Maybe I should have said its a fat bell
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=kevinacaron;7219131]That's not a big bell,

This is a big bell!!

9 feet tall and weights in around 300 lbs!

The cylinder is 5 feet tall and 9.5 inches in diameter..

Nice job guys ! So Kevin you must have a REALLY LARGE DESK since below the photo it says, '' From the desk of Kevin Caron ''. I don't know why you have it on a desk but you must have high ceiling too.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Nucleus.jpg
Views: 3614
Size:  77.8 KB

The top is

5 x 10 x 1.25

Table goes from the floor to 6 feet up..

and the ceiling is 12 feet in this part of the shop.
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of doing something like that... but I needed a nap. Kevin's work is very very nice... One day I am going to pack me a bag for a month or so, and just show up at Kevin's with a wire brush and go to work.
    Last edited by Thats Hot; 05-08-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting on the paperwork for a new public commission..

About 9.5 feet tall by 4.5 by 4.5

Should be in the 500 to 600 pound range.

Fun piece to build, lots of math and 1/4 inch wall minimum.

Stick for the base and tig for the sculpture.

used to live in Ocala, out past the airport, behind the horse farms...
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, congrats on the commission.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did they seek you out or did you put in a bid/compete for the piece?
    If you put in the bid, how did you hear about the work?
    Do you submit a design from a CAD program, freehand drawing or are you using your 3D printer to make a small example and submit that?
    On a piece that large, do you deliver and install yourself or ship using a trucking company and the customer installs the piece?
    How long does a large piece like that take to finish?
    Any chance of a sneak preview of your design?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing the new piece. Please post a thread or videos of the build.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Did they seek you out or did you put in a bid/compete for the piece?

I had the Mayor in the studio for an intro to tig welding session. She saw the smaller version sitting in the studio.
    That was 2 years ago!

If you put in the bid, how did you hear about the work?

Not a bid, direct select.

Do you submit a design from a CAD program, freehand drawing or are you using your 3D printer to make a small example and submit that?

Major saw the full size piece, sent the art committee to take a look.
    For the formal proposal I had a scale down 3d printer and a power point. For the meeting with the full city council, just the power point.

On a piece that large, do you deliver and install yourself or ship using a trucking company and the customer installs the piece?

Because the city is close I will deliver and install myself. They have a crane to help and can get a forklift on site if needed.

How long does a large piece like that take to finish?

This design will take about 45 to 60 days working alone.

Any chance of a sneak preview of your design?

Soon as I have a signed contract and down payment in hand I will post a few photos of the small version.
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Post Thanks / Like

psacustomcreations>Your valve truck creations are way cool. The Dart "Vaderesque" (Punisher) scuba tank bells are FANTASTIC. I think you suggested I stop in at a dive shop. I did.... found it in an old phone book. I drove out only to discover it closed 3 years ago. I was so bummed.
    --
    Bob> I just picked up a few farm object odds and ends that were steel and am "hoarding" them because I haven't quite decided what to do with them yet. They were either interesting or oddball and I couldn't pass them up. I hope you post more of your projects even if they're projects you did years ago to give me ideas.
    --
    rob214> really fun cars and motorcycles!!! All of them!!!
    --
    kevinacaron> You get the "BIG BELL" award. Very nice indeedy.... as was your other big bell creation. I like how you don't coat them in favor of letting them rust.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin,
    Thanks for the detailed response. I travel pretty frequently so one of these days I would love to stop by your shop. My co-worker and I take turns going on various trips. It just so happens he is flying out to Phoenix next week while I get to go to West Virginia. Maybe next time.

I have also been to Ocala, FL a few times at a diving school they have there called 40 fathoms.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Not my work... I took these photos in Shipshewana IN specifically to post in this thread as an idea someone might be able to use. The shovels ranged in price from $25 to $40 each.
    --

Name:  Shovel art 101.JPG
Views: 3513
Size:  110.8 KB

--

Name:  Shovel art 102.JPG
Views: 3556
Size:  103.9 KB

--

Name:  Shovel art 103.JPG
Views: 3532

--

Name:  Shovel art 105.JPG
Views: 3446
Size:  87.8 KB

--

Name:  Shovel art 107.JPG
Views: 3605
Size:  102.2 KB
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have also been to Ocala, FL a few times at a diving school they have there called 40 fathoms.
    I took my full trimix class at 40 fathom grotto back around 2003 or so. 1st dive I almost gave my dive instructor a heart attack. I had just finished my deco at the 20' platform and had started to swim across to check and see how much time my buddy had left when the chains holding the platform broke and set the whole thing rocketing to the surface. All my instructor saw was me over the platform before it went rocketing to the surface in a mass of bubbles and all he could think of was that we all had 20 minutes of mandatory deco at 20' from our 180' trimix dive and he was going to have a bent student diver and he hadn't finished his deco yet. What he couldn't see was that I'd dumped my BC and swam off to the side trying to figure out what azzhole had decided to shoot a lift bag and left it attached to the platform causing it to ascend.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Not my work... I took these photos in Shipshewana IN specifically to post in this thread as an idea someone might be able to use. The shovels ranged in price from $25 to $40 each.
    --

Name:  Shovel art 101.JPG
Views: 3513
Size:  110.8 KB

--

Name:  Shovel art 102.JPG
Views: 3556

--

Name:  Shovel art 103.JPG
Views: 3532

--

Name:  Shovel art 105.JPG
Views: 3446
Size:  87.8 KB

--

Name:  Shovel art 107.JPG
Views: 3605
Size:  102.2 KB
    Yeah, that's a pretty cool idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I took my full trimix class at 40 fathom grotto back around 2003 or so. 1st dive I almost gave my dive instructor a heart attack. I had just finished my deco at the 20' platform and had started to swim across to check and see how much time my buddy had left when the chains holding the platform broke and set the whole thing rocketing to the surface. All my instructor saw was me over the platform before it went rocketing to the surface in a mass of bubbles and all he could think of was that we all had 20 minutes of mandatory deco at 20' from our 180' trimix dive and he was going to have a bent student diver and he hadn't finished his deco yet. What he couldn't see was that I'd dumped my BC and swam off to the side trying to figure out what azzhole had decided to shoot a lift bag and left it attached to the platform causing it to ascend.
    You probably recognize this view then.

This was taken on March 1 2012. The guys I work with and I went to 40 fathoms several times between 2011 and 2013. They were working on the trimix certs before they went to Gas rebreathers. Its a long story but even though I was an Army Master Diver, I could not do the same diving. I still get in the water, just not as much as I want
    Name:  40 Fathoms.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  22.0 KB
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 05-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;7234761]Not my work... I took these photos in Shipshewana IN specifically to post in this thread as an idea someone might be able to use. The shovels ranged in price from $25 to $40 each.
    --
    That's a really cool idea! I like that a lot. Are you going to do some of these?

Post Thanks / Like

HT2-4956> Yes!!! I thought it was a really cool idea too considering used shovels show up at flea markets and garage sales for $2!!! I loved the cattails, dragonfly, and frog the best. I took a look at my notes and made a mistake... prices were $25 (for the cattails and heron) up to $48 (for garden fairies [not photographed] and the butterfly and flowers). Oops.
    --
    BrianC> "Are you going to do some of these?" I took the photos for others here at WW who sell because I liked the idea a lot too and thought they might sell well for them... in looking at the ground.... I could see there had been 3x as many for sale at one time because of vacated holes. I won't be making any though. The shovels appear to have been created with a plasma cutter.... which psacustomcreations and several others must have but I don't.
    --
    While I don't have a plasma cutter....I do have this exact TurboTorch Extreme set, http://store.cyberweld.com/tukitexx.html and a B tank of acetylene. The X-3B torch set came with A-3 and A-11 acetylene tips. I wouldn't be able to get crisp cuts but... that doesn't mean that there aren't other designs that would lend themselves to non-precision cuts. Next time I end up with a decent size piece of scrap, I would like to try a tree of life design for myself, https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

''While I don't have a plasma cutter....I do have this exact TurboTorch Extreme set, http://store.cyberweld.com/tukitexx.html and a B tank of acetylene. The X-3B torch set came with A-3 and A-11 acetylene tips. I wouldn't be able to get crisp cuts but... that doesn't mean that there aren't other designs that would lend themselves to non-precision cuts. Next time I end up with a decent size piece of scrap, I would like to try a tree of life design for myself, https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001.''

Your '' B '' tank turbo torch is HEATING ONLY, no cutting , sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

How do they cut the shovels on a cnc with the arch? Do they flatten the shovels somehow, cut them, and then roll them again?
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

BD1> Bummer!!! I know plumbers solder with turbotorches and I've brazed with my turbotorch and used it to bend some copper for trellises and just assumed with the right tip... I'd be able to cut with it too. Guess not!!! That's okay.... more incentive for me to buy that Bosch jigsaw I've had my eye on for two years now!!! Maybe that would work!!!
    --
    VPT> My mistake.... I meant plasma cutter not laser cutter... I shouldn't have used the terms interchangeably. More shovels here and the artists claims to use a plasma cutter, http://metalutiondesigns.blogspot.com/. I looked online and did find that with some sort of a special adapter, lasers could be used to cut cylinders.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

the shovels don't look worn out so they must have started with imported from China @$1.99 each. Good use of the import junk!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  snake eats dog.jpg
Views: 3009
Size:  4.0 KB This is oscar and enzo gettin acquainted

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist