Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1927

Thread: Scrap metal art or projects

  1. #1776
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    West coast of Florida
    Posts
    377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Name:  20200602_184035.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  215.3 KB

    Great piece Pat, what is the thickness of the side material? (red dot side)
    Richard

  2. Likes xmmancharl liked this post
  3. #1777
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by LtBadd View Post
    Name:  20200602_184035.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  215.3 KB

    Great piece Pat, what is the thickness of the side material? (red dot side)
    Thanks Richard. The face with the stainless is 14 gauge while the red dot side is 1/8"x4" flat bar.

    That was a bit of fun free hand bending, clamping and welding.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  4. Likes ronsii liked this post
  5. #1778
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    A little while back acourtjester had posted pics of his articulating arm for positioning clamps and pieces. It looks like it can be an extra hand for me during some of my work.

    He probably cut his plates out on his plasma table but I had to do it the old fashioned way.

    I started with a piece of 3/8x3 flat bar and used the mag drill to make the holes. Then it was into the mill to even out the sides and knock off the corners. I turned down some 1/2" bar stock and cut a recess into the end to accept the ball. A bit of welding and it is done. I used 1/4" bolts but may step them up to 5/16" to give me a bit more clamping power.

    Name:  20200605_101328.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  91.8 KB

    Name:  20200605_091945.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  107.9 KB

    Name:  20200605_135036.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  158.6 KB

    Name:  20200605_163450.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  159.1 KB
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 06-05-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  6. Likes VaughnT, gregket1, xmmancharl, ronsii liked this post
  7. #1779
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    A few weeks ago I asked for advice in the blacksmithing thread about forging a whaling harpoon for my Dad's birthday. My attempts at forging ended in some pretty ugly failures and my elbow started bothering me again.

    I decided to cut the head out of a piece of 3/8" plate that I had and use that for the head. A bit of rebar ground down some for the shaft, a scrap of thin sheet metal and I was back in business. I also needed this finished pretty quickly since his birthday was a few days ago. The total length was 7 feet and 10 inches so I could stay under the 8 foot mark for shipping Luckily everything turned out fine and he received it intact.

    He had wanted it looking like an antique or original, so that made things easier for me.

    The first pic is the example he sent me.

    Name:  2020-05-02 (4).jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.5 KB

    Name:  20200523_112319.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  26.9 KB

    Name:  20200523_112332.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  51.9 KB

    Name:  20200523_112346.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  78.5 KB

    Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  107.9 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  8. Likes Lis2323, ronsii, 6Boys, VaughnT liked this post
  9. #1780
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    A few weeks ago I asked for advice in the blacksmithing thread about forging a whaling harpoon for my Dad's birthday. My attempts at forging ended in some pretty ugly failures and my elbow started bothering me again.

    I decided to cut the head out of a piece of 3/8" plate that I had and use that for the head. A bit of rebar ground down some for the shaft, a scrap of thin sheet metal and I was back in business. I also needed this finished pretty quickly since his birthday was a few days ago. The total length was 7 feet and 10 inches so I could stay under the 8 foot mark for shipping Luckily everything turned out fine and he received it intact.

    He had wanted it looking like an antique or original, so that made things easier for me.

    The first pic is the example he sent me.

    Name:  2020-05-02 (4).jpg
Views: 370
Size:  44.5 KB

    Name:  20200523_112319.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  26.9 KB

    Name:  20200523_112332.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  51.9 KB

    Name:  20200523_112346.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  78.5 KB

    Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  107.9 KB
    Turned out awesome, Pat! And it totally looks ďat homeĒ on your dadís wall.
    :

  10. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
  11. #1781
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I haven't done much engravings on scuba tanks lately but a couple of weeks ago I had someone stationed in Italy ask for a bell from a scuba tank.

    Here are the design pics plus the finished bell. I just have a laser black and white printer so had to go off the images on the screen for the paint job.

    Name:  DSCN4223.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  78.4 KB

    Name:  DSCN4224.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  80.0 KB

    Name:  DSCN4230.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  149.6 KB

    Name:  DSCN4233.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  144.8 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  12. Likes ronsii, dmcnally liked this post
  13. #1782
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Is there a trick to getting the valve/regulator off medical O2 bottles? I picked up a couple condemned ones last week and the fittings won't budge.

    I'm nervous using my chain wrench - seems it will scrape and scar the aluminum something fierce. Penetrating oil hasn't helped. Do I hit it with a torch? I'm sure they're empty but don't want to blow myself up either.

  14. #1783
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Is there a trick to getting the valve/regulator off medical O2 bottles? I picked up a couple condemned ones last week and the fittings won't budge.

    I'm nervous using my chain wrench - seems it will scrape and scar the aluminum something fierce. Penetrating oil hasn't helped. Do I hit it with a torch? I'm sure they're empty but don't want to blow myself up either.
    If you are talking about this cylinder from your pic:

    Name:  IMG_20200613_132110-01.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  225.2 KB


    You should be able to disassemble the black handle that is on top of the valve. Once you have that off, you should have access to the valve itself.

    Make sure it is empty. Open and close the valve several times to make sure there is no pressure.

    Use a chain vise or in your case a chain wrench to hold the cylinder. Get a big "F" wrench or large crescent wrench on the valve itself. You may need to give the crescent wrench a whack with the mallet.

    It should come right off. These cylinders typically have a nylon washer or o-ring at the base of the valve that acts as the sealing mechanism for the pressure. It sits in a recessed part of the tank.

    If you have a large enough vise, you can put the cylinder in that. The marring of the side usually only happens when the chain or vise is not tight enough and allows the cylinder to spin.

    I will walk outside in a minute and take a few pics
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  15. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
  16. #1784
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Here you go. I usually use my tripod chain vise but also just throw the little ones in my bench vise.



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  17. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
  18. #1785
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pensacola , Fla
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    have you though about using sign vinyl as a template for acid etching the aluminum tanks?
    Name:  DSCN3025.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN3040.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  79.9 KB
    Name:  DSCN4209.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  59.6 KB
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

  19. Likes dmcnally liked this post
  20. #1786
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    'ta town, KS
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I use them for a plasma template... works great with a sharpie... that's one way to improvise a plasma table.. if you can be consistent.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

    Mac

  21. #1787
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Here you go. I usually use my tripod chain vise but also just throw the little ones in my bench vise.



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    One looks like yours, the other has the handle and everything - the guy I bought them from didn't seem to want it. I've been working on the one like yours - I'll give the wrench a whack or two and see how I do.

    Thanks for the detailed info.

  22. #1788
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    have you though about using sign vinyl as a template for acid etching the aluminum tanks?
    I have never tried acid etching so I do not know if it would work. I have used stencils to sand blast designs in aluminum but that does not give me the level of depth or detail I need sometimes. I am honestly trying to get away from doing this since it is quite a bit of time for each one. So of course I got an order last night for an engraved lamp.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  23. Likes ronsii liked this post
  24. #1789
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pensacola , Fla
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I have an optional drag knife I attach to my CNC table to cut the vinyl (small vinyl cutters can be had too) to make the template
    I use a solution of 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide and Muriatic acid to etch with, takes about 10 minutes. The vinyl for the design and use clear shipping tape to cover other areas you don't want etched around the design. For the cylinders you could brush the solution over it and catch the run off and rebrush until you get the depth you want. I get a smoother finish to the etched section then sand blasting. I have seen other changing the ratio and using it to etch circuit board (copper clad) for electronics.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

  25. #1790
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have never tried acid etching so I do not know if it would work. I have used stencils to sand blast designs in aluminum but that does not give me the level of depth or detail I need sometimes. I am honestly trying to get away from doing this since it is quite a bit of time for each one. So of course I got an order last night for an engraved lamp.
    Pat, sign makers can use their plotters and vinyl cutters to make stencils out of specialty pressure sensitive material for sandblasting.

    That way you can choose to blast the reveal or reverse.

    My friend used to use it for sandblasted cedar signs like this one over my outer shop office.



    Edit. It just occurred to me that the material used would utilize PSA. (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive).
    Last edited by Lis2323; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:39 AM.
    :

  26. Likes ronsii liked this post
  27. #1791
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    I have an optional drag knife I attach to my CNC table to cut the vinyl (small vinyl cutters can be had too) to make the template
    I use a solution of 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide and Muriatic acid to etch with, takes about 10 minutes. The vinyl for the design and use clear shipping tape to cover other areas you don't want etched around the design. For the cylinders you could brush the solution over it and catch the run off and rebrush until you get the depth you want. I get a smoother finish to the etched section then sand blasting. I have seen other changing the ratio and using it to etch circuit board (copper clad) for electronics.

    Thanks. I will have to try this on a scrap piece of cylinder.

    This is crazy, I haven't made an engraved tank for months, then suddenly I get a bunch of requests. In addition to the lamp mentioned above, I was just on the phone with a Police Officer I know. He wants to order several engraved tanks.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  28. #1792
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pensacola , Fla
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    hard to argue against success, In addition to the above I leave the vinyl on until after I paint the etched areas.
    have fun Thank the officer and the others for their service too.
    Last edited by acourtjester; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:34 AM.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

  29. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
  30. #1793
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Thanks. I will have to try this on a scrap piece of cylinder.

    This is crazy, I haven't made an engraved tank for months, then suddenly I get a bunch of requests. In addition to the lamp mentioned above, I was just on the phone with a Police Officer I know. He wants to order several engraved tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    hard to argue against success, In addition to the above I leave the vinyl on until after I paint the etched areas.
    have fun Thank the officer and the others for their service too.
    One of my old customers used vinyl graphic masks when he sandblasted sandstone signs. Pretty tough stuff to hold up to that - the signs were really nice.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    I'm a HOBBYIST, not a structural welder (Duh!)
    I do Yard Art, NOT Trailers

  31. #1794
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Here you go. I usually use my tripod chain vise but also just throw the little ones in my bench vise.



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Mine were pretty beat up:

    Name:  IMG-20200616-150302-01.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  98.5 KB

    I used 150 grit on a hand held belt sander to do a rough first cleanup - does that sound about right or do you have another way you clean yours up (if you were to leave them clear coated)?

    (The bottle with the regulator still had gas in it - took it 15 minutes to vent out - guess the regulator was broken and they just tossed it out.)
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    I'm a HOBBYIST, not a structural welder (Duh!)
    I do Yard Art, NOT Trailers

  32. #1795
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    For cleaning my medical cyclnders that size, I use my RIDGID pipe machine to rotate .
    Works well since we I don't have a lathe.
    My old pipe machine is pretty handy for rolling rings too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. Likes Shootr liked this post
  34. #1796
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    For cleaning my medical cyclnders that size, I use my RIDGID pipe machine to rotate .
    Works well since we I don't have a lathe.
    My old pipe machine is pretty handy for rolling rings too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you use wire wheels, flapper discs, sandpaper? Alumina oxide belts don't last very long, and I'm having a devil of a time finding 3" x 18" silicon carbide ones in medium grits.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    I'm a HOBBYIST, not a structural welder (Duh!)
    I do Yard Art, NOT Trailers

  35. #1797
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I put the cylinders in my lathe. It takes less than 10 minutes per cylinder.

    Before I bought the lathe, I was using your technique and it usually took about an hour and half or more per tank. I was using a grinder and flap disc to remove the majority of paint then a 5 inch orbital sander. The big problem with this techniques besides the huge amount of time, is it leaves flat spots.

    You can use a 40 grit sand paper and orbital sander on the aluminum tanks to remove the clear coat. Continually move the sander as you use it to lessen the chance of flat spots.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  36. #1798
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Mine were pretty beat up:

    Name:  IMG-20200616-150302-01.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  98.5 KB

    I used 150 grit on a hand held belt sander to do a rough first cleanup - does that sound about right or do you have another way you clean yours up (if you were to leave them clear coated)?

    (The bottle with the regulator still had gas in it - took it 15 minutes to vent out - guess the regulator was broken and they just tossed it out.)
    This is why I said to open and close the valve several times to make sure they were empty. I have received many cylinders that still had gas in them. Never assume they are empty just because they are thrown away or given to you.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  37. #1799
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Pat, sign makers can use their plotters and vinyl cutters to make stencils out of specialty pressure sensitive material for sandblasting.

    That way you can choose to blast the reveal or reverse.

    My friend used to use it for sandblasted cedar signs like this one over my outer shop office.

    Edit. It just occurred to me that the material used would utilize PSA. (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive).
    Thanks Terry. Many years ago I used the same idea and put masking tape across both wood and glass. Then used an exacto knife to cut out the design and sand blast it. It works great on wood as you have shown and glass as well to give it a frosted or etched look.

    I don't generally do those materials anymore but still have that technique available if required.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  38. #1800
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    psa> I like the whaling harpoon you made for your Dad a lot more than I like the original. The head is just awesome.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

  39. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,594,866,182.60486 seconds with 13 queries