Page 9 of 95 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 2358

Thread: Scrap metal art or projects

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    5,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Made this guy from an old compressor tank and some exhaust tubing and whatnots laying around. He lasted a couple years and now last night during the city fireworks someone has stolen him out of our yard. I guess the 3' rod in the ground wasn't enough to save him.

    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Made this guy from an old compressor tank and some exhaust tubing and whatnots laying around. He lasted a couple years and now last night during the city fireworks someone has stolen him out of our yard. I guess the 3' rod in the ground wasn't enough to save him.

    ]
    The minion looks great and should be easy to spot as you drive around town. Odds are it was someone local. It sucks someone did that to you
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    [QUOTE=HT2-4956;7426061]Recently picked this up and am looking forward to trying it on something. A little on the spendy side at $34 ($20 for the can and $14 for the plastic spritzer bottle).

    I am not familiar with that product so please post some pics and pointers as you use it.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Philly
    Posts
    20,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Made this guy from an old compressor tank and some exhaust tubing and whatnots laying around. He lasted a couple years and now last night during the city fireworks someone has stolen him out of our yard. I guess the 3' rod in the ground wasn't enough to save him.
    Looks great. Shame he got swiped. It's worth reporting that to the local cops. He sticks out well enough that they may spot him if someone sticks him out in their lawn. You're not really looking for an investigation, just that they keep their eyes open as they patrol the neighborhood. You might even have luck with putting up flyers.

    When I worked at the dive shop, we had a pond out front of the shop. As a joke we took and old manikin and dressed him up in an old used wet suit, hood and gloves, mask and fins and put him in different places poses out near the road. Anyway one day he disappeared. The boss was a bit ticked, but the other guy who worked with me made up some posters and put them up. Anyways about a week or so later, this truck pulls up with our "diver" in the back. Turns out some kids swiped him and gave mom and dad some BS story about how someone had thrown him out. Mom spotted the "missing" poster and confronted the kids about where the "diver" actually came from, then made them bring it back and apologize and volunteer to do yard work as penance for their crime.
    .



    No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Missouri
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Recently picked this up and am looking forward to trying it on something. A little on the spendy side at $34 ($20 for the can and $14 for the plastic spritzer bottle).

    Attachment 1459931
    I have used that stuff. The copper coat is basically a copper rich paint and the spritz bottle is a cold patina wash. You can do non metallic stuff like pottery etc. If the substrate is copper (mine was a copper flower) all you need is the patina.

    Basic cold patina formula are all over the net and WAY cheaper than that stuff. The only reason I used it was it was supplied by the customer.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

    Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

    Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

    Assorted A/O torches

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    5,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Looks great. Shame he got swiped. It's worth reporting that to the local cops. He sticks out well enough that they may spot him if someone sticks him out in their lawn. You're not really looking for an investigation, just that they keep their eyes open as they patrol the neighborhood. You might even have luck with putting up flyers.

    When I worked at the dive shop, we had a pond out front of the shop. As a joke we took and old manikin and dressed him up in an old used wet suit, hood and gloves, mask and fins and put him in different places poses out near the road. Anyway one day he disappeared. The boss was a bit ticked, but the other guy who worked with me made up some posters and put them up. Anyways about a week or so later, this truck pulls up with our "diver" in the back. Turns out some kids swiped him and gave mom and dad some BS story about how someone had thrown him out. Mom spotted the "missing" poster and confronted the kids about where the "diver" actually came from, then made them bring it back and apologize and volunteer to do yard work as penance for their crime.

    The facebook post I made has been shared over 150 times already by locals and people I know and the Mayor! If it is around my small 22K person town I'll hear about it. I did make a point that I didn't want to harm anyone or even yell at them, just to get Kevin back. They can roll by and throw him out the back of the truck at night for all I care. lol

    But I did get a few offers of old compressors to make a new one. I will have fun with the kids making new ones, the painting just takes a long time drying between coats (oil enamel).
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    1,891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I know about the stolen stuff. I made this cut out of a buffalo for a lady with a registered prairie. It lasted 3 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    psa,

    Looks to me like you're getting to playing with a lot newer generation of diving technology than what I'm familiar with. Cool stuff. Next time you get around that gear I wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of some closer detail of that ss hat. From what detail I could make out so far in your pictures it looks like the bail / latch assembly for locking the hat to the toilet seat / neck dam assembly is different than what my SuperLite 27 had. Also it looks to me that the hat you pictured already has the hot water shroud for the regulator incorporated into it's design (or has had it installed). That would have been an add on feature for my SL 27.

    What about the exhaust port(s)? Is there just the one I can see (on the diver's left side) and is it already a "double". I bought and installed the double exhaust port "whisker kit" on my SL 27 because I was often times getting into some pretty nasty water.
    Here are some pics of the KM-77 helmet. The neck dam goes over the head and then the back part cam locks it in place. This is about a $6000-8000 hat

    Name:  DSCF0714.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  36.5 KBName:  DSCF0715.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  49.3 KBName:  DSCF0717.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  49.9 KBName:  DSCF0718.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  44.1 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    That KM77 looks like a bitch to put on ,with that Horseshoe on the back that locks it in . I have no neck and would have to pick the hat about halfway off to swing it shut

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    That KM77 looks like a bitch to put on ,with that Horseshoe on the back that locks it in . I have no neck and would have to pick the hat about halfway off to swing it shut
    A lot of times we need the person to lean forward then pick the hat up like you are describing. It gets worse when they are wearing a dry suit and harness. Straps and material get in the way.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    There is some gorgeous stuff here! I am in awe. I plan to go do some art welding at my friend's shop. He works as a metal sculptor for a living. You just reminded me to give him a call. Here's some of his work:
    https://hgrinc.com/local-metal-sculp...trial-surplus/

    On my blog, I write lots about art, reclaimed objects and making. I know the term "maker" is controversial on this forum, but I know there are makers here who also are welders. These stories about some makers might interest you:

    https://hgrinc.com/business-partners...ng-wood-metal/

    https://hgrinc.com/superelectric-pin...nd-object-art/

    I am so passionate about this subject, that I use my company's blog to promote these industrious people who happen to be our customers. But, I get to send them business and bring such talent to light. This propane-powered car was in the Ingenuity Festival. This guy is a big Burning Man participant:

    https://hgrinc.com/art-car-at-ingenu...ment-from-hgr/

    Cool ****!
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Just a few more piggies. The guy that wanted the little one bought it as soon as he saw it. Then he asked if I can make one with wings.

    Name:  DSCF0733.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSCF0734.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  69.9 KBName:  DSCF0735.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  71.7 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    There is some gorgeous stuff here! I am in awe. I plan to go do some art welding at my friend's shop. He works as a metal sculptor for a living. You just reminded me to give him a call. Here's some of his work:
    https://hgrinc.com/local-metal-sculp...trial-surplus/

    On my blog, I write lots about art, reclaimed objects and making. I know the term "maker" is controversial on this forum, but I know there are makers here who also are welders. These stories about some makers might interest you:

    https://hgrinc.com/business-partners...ng-wood-metal/

    https://hgrinc.com/superelectric-pin...nd-object-art/

    I am so passionate about this subject, that I use my company's blog to promote these industrious people who happen to be our customers. But, I get to send them business and bring such talent to light. This propane-powered car was in the Ingenuity Festival. This guy is a big Burning Man participant:

    https://hgrinc.com/art-car-at-ingenu...ment-from-hgr/

    Cool ****!
    Those are some nice looking pieces of art. I am not sure why some would be upset at the term "maker", but to each their own.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    This is the bell I made for the Spartan Race company. They used it recently for the race they had up in Vermont in June. The race is a 60 hour obstacle race/course.

    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  45.5 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  15. Likes Mclay liked this post
  16. #215
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Here are some pics of the KM-77 helmet. The neck dam goes over the head and then the back part cam locks it in place. This is about a $6000-8000 hat

    Name:  DSCF0714.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  36.5 KBName:  DSCF0715.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  49.3 KBName:  DSCF0717.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  49.9 KBName:  DSCF0718.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  44.1 KB
    psa,

    That's definetly a different system for keeping the hat on your head than what my SL27 had. And I can see where that might be a lot more problematic to get on by yourself than what I'm use to.

    It also just caught my eye that there's no extra weights on that hat like my 27 had. What does it weigh?

    I wish I was closer to you because I'd certainly like the opportunity to test drive that rig (if that were possible). Especially in that nice pristine training tank you've shown pictures of.

  17. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    ...Shoulder of Orion...
    Posts
    3,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    This is the bell I made for the Spartan Race company. They used it recently for the race they had up in Vermont in June. The race is a 60 hour obstacle race/course.

    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  45.5 KB
    Molon Labe Pat! Excellent craftsmanship.

    The KM-77s look sweet. Neutrally or negative buoyant? Miss the Mk21s donned back in the day.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 07-09-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

  18. #217
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Recently picked this up and am looking forward to trying it on something. A little on the spendy side at $34 ($20 for the can and $14 for the plastic spritzer bottle).

    Attachment 1459931
    I have used that before, it is pricey, but goes a long ways.
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln Pro Core 125
    Hypertherm 30xp
    Porter Cable Drill Press
    Acra 7x12 bandsaw
    48" sheet metal brake
    Crap load of other tools, working on metal now.

  19. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    nice lookin bell
    Mullets&Pullets

  20. #219
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    HT2 and Manokai,
    The hat weighs about 32 pounds and is designed to be neutrally buoyant if I remember right. There are no extra weights needed but if you do any welding or burning, you need to add a zinc kit.

    Here is a pic of the guys I work with doing some burning a few years ago in a training tank.

    Name:  10155238_10201843496757805_5549215006513072833_n.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  42.5 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  21. #220
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Those are some nice looking pieces of art. I am not sure why some would be upset at the term "maker", but to each their own.
    I had some guy private message me trading that he is a machinist and welder who works hard at what he does and is a technician and resents the term maker and asked me to stop using it. Blah blah.
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

  22. #221
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    HT2 and Manokai,
    The hat weighs about 32 pounds and is designed to be neutrally buoyant if I remember right. There are no extra weights needed but if you do any welding or burning, you need to add a zinc kit.

    Here is a pic of the guys I work with doing some burning a few years ago in a training tank.

    Name:  10155238_10201843496757805_5549215006513072833_n.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  42.5 KB
    Good looking picture. Couple of things about it though. You wouldn't find me with my off hand touching the rod while I was burning. I'd also get that ground clamp moved to the side opposite me. Call me a ***** if you must but I've been tickled hard once or twice and don't like it.

    The other thing (and this is more about real on the job conditions versus the training / practice tank conditions) is that you should try and get some practice at burning "blind" (mask taped over) and keeping your head just as far back from it as your arm reach will allow. A lot of things I've cut have been under some pretty good tension and have jumped a good distance when cut. You don't want to get slapped by what you're working on.

    Cutting stuff off at the "mud line" or where there's mud on the back side of it (like when burning sheet piling off) can make things exciting also. Got to be real careful not to build up a pocket of hydrogen and oxygen that can go boom on you. I've had a couple of small "mud pops" that made me have to stop and think hard about continuing.
    Last edited by HT2-4956; 07-11-2016 at 12:02 PM.

  23. #222
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Good looking picture. Couple of things about it though. You wouldn't find me with my off hand touching the rod while I was burning. I'd also get that ground clamp moved to the side opposite me. Call me a ***** if you must but I've been tickled hard once or twice and don't like it.

    The other thing (and this is more about real on the job conditions versus the training / practice tank conditions) is that you should try and get some practice at burning "blind" (mask taped over) and keeping your head just as far back from it as your arm reach will allow. A lot of things I've cut have been under some pretty good tension and have jumped a good distance when cut. You don't want to get slapped by what you're working on.
    I have been zapped plenty of times so know what you are talking about and have no problem with the comments. I have held the rod while welding and burning and have been zapped while holding it as well as while not holding it. As you know ground location placement and cleaning/prep is extremely important underwater. We also followed the military protocol of calling for switch off once the rod was burning.

    This was the only the second time this group of guys had been welding or burning. The program was shut down a year or two later so we never really got as proficient as I would have liked. Lots of politics and a long story involved.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  24. #223
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    I made a set of Star Wars themed bells out of old steel scuba tanks

    Name:  DSCF0778.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  57.6 KBName:  DSCF0779.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  42.4 KBName:  DSCF0780.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  33.8 KBName:  DSCF0781.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  45.5 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  25. #224
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Not much welding but another project complete.

    This is a retirement gift for a police officer on the Fayetteville search and rescue scuba team

    Name:  DSCF0764.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  24.9 KBName:  DSCF0769.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  19.6 KBName:  DSCF0773.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  31.3 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  26. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Philly
    Posts
    20,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Scrap metal art or projects

    Very nice.
    .



    No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

    Ronald Reagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,268,853.27496 seconds with 12 queries