Thread: Good switching speed

Post Thanks / Like

Good switching speed

Hello I was wondering if a 1/10,000 switching speed is good for a welding helmet? I was looking g at the jackson w40 insight and that is the speed it has I believe 0.1ms is equal 1/10,000. When I look at the speedglas specs it also says it has a 0.1ms switching speed so is this speed good for a welding helmet? I do a lot of stick mig and soon tig welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good switching speed

Have one of the Jackson BH3 with extra inside and outside lens packs (8 extra each I think) for sale asking $150 . Has black bezel not yellow because of a mixup when I ordered a replacement for the one I broke. Works the same though. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1442422272348.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  27.2 KB
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Good switching speed

I had a helmet with a 1/25,000 switch speed but the lens still fatigued my sensitive eyes. I switched to a Jackson Balder.

The Jackson Balder lens is amazing! I have the cheaper SmarTiger which is about the same price as the Insight. Balder should have better optics than the insight I would think.

It has improved the quality of my beads tremendously. I love it! So the BH3 from southpaw is the nicer version. Good deal to consider, or a used speedglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seawalker; 09-18-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good switching speed

Some physics to ponder...

How much light can reach your eye in .1 ms -- or whatever time interval the filter takes to darken?

The speed of light is something like 200,000 meters/second --if I remember correctly. And your face is pretty darn close to the Arc.

And what is the intensity of lumens during that time interval before the filter switches . Depends on the power and process of course. It would be interesting to know how bright the start of an arc is

Whatever light is getting to our eyes I don't think we can tell because our brain can't register it fast enough it seems.
    Last edited by Seawalker; 09-18-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just close my eyes to strike the arc. Takes switching speeds out of the equation (if it really means anything to begin with) and its business as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a passive UV filter built in to these lenses, so no matter how fast or slow the switching speed, no harmful UV will reach your eyes.