+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAE 300 diesel find

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SAE 300 diesel find

I have N-90s in my 12V-71T and it will smoke under load. Plenty of noise too. Used to run a 69 Diamond Reo C-114 with a 225hp 6-71 with N-65's and it would lay a thick cloud of smoke rings when loaded also.

Ahh, the good old days.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

A 6-71 with 65s would be 238hp.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    A 6-71 with 65s would be 238hp.
    You are correct. I swapped out the original N-55s, (I think) with the larger units for more power and I think it only made more heat and smoke as the truck really didn't move any faster. Just about like that "Velvet Ride" suspension, (remember that one) riding good?
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    You are correct. I swapped out the original N-55s, (I think) with the larger units for more power and I think it only made more heat and smoke as the truck really didn't move any faster.
    Yeah, I would have had to look it up to see what 55s would be for hp as it's been too long but the 238 is forever etched in my memory.

Proper governor gap, injector height and rack adjustment are critical to getting all the ponies out of a "Yamaha".

Just about like that "Velvet Ride" suspension, (remember that one) riding good?
    Oh yeah. Talk about false advertising!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I would have had to look it up to see what 55s would be for hp as it's been too long but the 238 is forever etched in my memory.

Proper governor gap, injector height and rack adjustment are critical to getting all the ponies out of a "Yamaha".

Oh yeah. Talk about false advertising!
    Went through that along with changing the fuel/lift pump, restrictor orifice, injector cups, valve guides, and fresh valve job. Probably should have resealed the blower but didn't and it never gave problems. With 22.5 ton of aggregate in the trailer it really didn't want to get out of it's own way. More fuel would have probably burned it down however as the pyro liked to climb quickly. That RT-910 transmission made it almost impossible starting to back up a slight incline and not stall the engine while maintaining a slow speed while backing.

Never been around a 2-71 myself but have seen welders with 3-71, and 4-71 engines and they are loud. Both series had mufflers, but still had a good "bark" to them when working. As mentioned, not really a smoker that I've seen. I don't think there is a much smoother generator engine than a two cycle Detroit also.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, of all the forgotten engines a welding machine like Snoeproe's could have been equipped with, (Bedford, Buda, Chrysler, Continental, Hercules, Waukesha... name it) none could hold a candle to the GM. Not even close.

GM diesels get bad-mouthed a lot, but they are a GOOD engine.
    Usually it's the quest for horsepower that's simply beyond their intended design that brings troubles.
    When installed with conservative ratings they're bullet proof.

What other pre-war design is still viable and still in production?
    A design that's lasted 75+ years, virtually unchanged, and still going strong.
    How you gonna bad-mouth that?

Seriously, if I had to bet it all on a diesel engine's ability to reliably start and keep running come-what-may, I still can't think of any engine I'd choose over a Jimmy.
    Any other opinions? What would you put up against a Detroit, for simple sure reliability?
    Shoot, in fact, why not start with disabled electrical systems?

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 11-22-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And an experienced "feel" to get it all right. The really interesting ones to tune were the old Euclid TC-12 crawlers with twin 6-71s. You had to have the same guy tune both engines or it would never push in a straight line. Drove the operators nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    And an experienced "feel" to get it all right.
    10-4 on the "feel".

Had a guy call me recently on an 8V-92 that had just been overhauled and it was only "running on one bank". I said the racks aren't balanced with each other and he said he could disconnect the governor-to-rack links and run each side independently. To which I said the racks aren't balanced with each other and he said the guy that set them insists they are to which I said the racks aren't balanced with each other.

I explained how to set the first injector on each side for proper side-to-side balance and he agreed to check them himself in the morning when he came in and low and behold - the racks weren't balance with each other. Go figure.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Smoke! Don't forget the Smoke!
    At work we have a 16v92ta powered 825kw backup generator, and it does not smoke at all after the first 2-3 seconds when it is stated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 54stude View Post
    At work we have a 16v92ta powered 825kw backup generator, and it does not smoke at all after the first 2-3 seconds when it is stated.
    We still have several "Silver" 6, and 8V-92s in service which smoke heavy upon initial start, and then load transfer, then run clean. All are loaded to at least 65% of capacity when running whether facility load, or load shed into a resistive load bank. Trucks are a little different as throttle positions are varied constantly where a genset maintains 900, 1200, or 1800 rpm constant in the US for 60cps service.
    Slob

Post Thanks / Like

I have N-90s in my 12V-71T and it will smoke under load. Plenty of noise too. Used to run a 69 Diamond Reo C-114 with a 225hp 6-71 with N-65's and it would lay a thick cloud of smoke rings when loaded also.

Ahh, the good old days.
    Bringing memories for me. I ran a 74 Autocar Constructor with a stock 6-71 and roadranger back in the 1990's doing offroad welding and maint. Never smoked but then it was offroad only and it topped out at about 40 mph. Had a 50-ton PTO winch. The boss used to budget me a case of bee spray every spring that truck was so rough. BUT you could hit the button at midnight in January and it would light right up every time.
    Use a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

We still have several "Silver" 6, and 8V-92s in service which smoke heavy upon initial start, and then load transfer, then run clean. All are loaded to at least 65% of capacity when running whether facility load, or load shed into a resistive load bank. Trucks are a little different as throttle positions are varied constantly where a genset maintains 900, 1200, or 1800 rpm constant in the US for 60cps service.
    The 16v92ta runs 1800rpm, is a standby power only unit. and is loaded to about 75% capacity during the summer cooling season. It exercises loaded once per year, and 20 minutes per week year round unloaded. Wet stacking has never been an issue with this unit, maybe due to the 1800 rpm setting. It is a year 2000 unit with only 700 hours on it..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old-iron-habit View Post
    The 53 series Detroit's have screws around the edge of the valve cover holding them on. The 71 series Detroits have the 2 big thumb screws thru the top middle of the valve cover. Easest way to tell.
    This unit has the 2 large thumb screws on the top middle of the valve cover.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist