+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loader mounting points

Post Thanks / Like

Loader mounting points

I am putting a front end loader on a 1971 Ford 4000. The loader bolts under the rear axle "trumpets" and to a large mount in the front that bolts to the front of the tractor(it also is the mount for the hyd pump). The front mount does not fit my tractor so my choces are to build a new mount or mount the fron of the loader in a different place. The tractor has threaded "pads" mid point, I am guessing for mounting cultivator on a row crop style tractor.
    I would like to cut the "beams" that run forward and build mounts that bolt to the mid pads.
    My question is, does the tractor care how the load goes from the loader through the tractor to the ground?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loader mounting points

The answer is..... It depends. Can you get some pics? Those little 4000's are pretty solid tractors. I'd be tempted to make a u shape bracket that uses the front and side mounts.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello vwquy3, the actual mounting points that matter are the center mounts that are almost directly under the clutch(should be 4 - 5/8" or 3/4" threaded holes there), I believe you can also tie into 2 points (I think there are 2 holes on each side and they are either 5/8" or 3/4" too) on the side of the transmission housing that are on both sides and above the 4 bottom holes. Once you have tied in there you can put trailing arms onto your loader sub-structure that extend back to the rear axle area, likely tying into the mounts that hold the fenders on from the underside. The front frame that you see on a lot of tractors is more of a bumper than a structural item, unless it is a quick-attach type loader, then the geometry and support are different. If I have some time I'll see if I can come up with a sketch.
    Name:  TRACTOR LOADER MOUNTS.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  26.7 KB

Good luck and best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Would using center mount for the front portion of the loader mount put more flex on tranny/engine (carrying the downward load of the bucket weight)? My compact tractor has rear mount at tranny/engine and front support at front, above axle.
    I had an old Massey Ferguson that I made arms similar to "quick attach-type" loader that attached on the frame by the front axle and came up to support the arms on the loader frame (the rear of the frame attached to the rear axle/fender mount).

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again vwguy3, if your tractor looks similar to this one you definitely have some points that are solid enough to accommodate a loader. Take a look here and see if this is similar to yours.

Name:  Ford 4000.jpg
Views: 4005
Size:  109.2 KB

Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=labparamour;6497901
    I had an old Massey Ferguson that I made arms similar to "quick attach-type" loader that attached on the frame by the front axle and came up to support the arms on the loader frame (the rear of the frame attached to the rear axle/fender mount).

DB[/QUOTE]

i did a front loader add on on an old massey 135, and thought everything was ok. well, front axle bushing couldn't handle the weight. so i altered that. i think its almost a losing proposition to add a loader to a tractor that wasn't made for one if you use it for regular use. if you baby the thing, and keep the hired help off it, maybe you can skim by. to many weak links

Post Thanks / Like

Allan, that is VERY close to what mine looks like. There is, in fact, another mount below the one in the bell housing area you show.
    This loader was on a Massey Ferguson and I believe it is a M/F loader. The front "frame" acts as the attachment point, pump mount and grill guard.

Thanks to all for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on your project and definitely provide some pictures of the progress. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

I would check with Ford and see how and where Ford manufactured loaders are designed and mounted. Will your front axle handle it?

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the reason I bought this particular tractor is that it is an SU model and I was told by a long time implement dealer that SU means super utility. It supposedly has a heavier front axle, heavier rear axle planetaries and diff lock.
    I' will take pics(if I can remember), my main issue these days is getting pics to the net.

Post Thanks / Like

All 5 of the loaders I've dealt with tie in BOTH at the mid (bell housing) AND forward (under the radiator- above the front axle).

The Ford 2110 had extensions all the way aft to U-Bolts around the rear axle housings as well.

The stresses on the tractor from loader work can easily be described as 'awkward'.

Tie in at as many points as possible to minimize stresses in any one place.

Good luck!
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    2018 O/A (complete kit)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Hello again vwguy3, if your tractor looks similar to this one you definitely have some points that are solid enough to accommodate a loader. Take a look here and see if this is similar to yours.

Name:  Ford 4000.jpg
Views: 4005
Size:  109.2 KB

Best regards, Allan
    I have a 3910 that is basically the same tractor except for the steering and front axle and steering.
    The rear set of holes he has circled are not where my loader mounts, there is a set down low just in front of the foot plate on the left and right where my loader mounts.
    The front mount is a 1/4" plate that bolts to the axle pivot frame that is bolted to the front of the engine (crank pulley and axle pivot pin are inside the frame) and your radiator sits on top of this frame. It is a simply bolt up that doesn't require taking the front grille or any framework off.

Its been a few years but I had to take the rear crossmember off of the loader frame to weld a crack and I can't remember if it bolted under the tractor or not.
    My loader is a 7209 (maybe a 7109) and it should also fit your tractor. I'll try and take some photos of it this week if you need them.
    Ford also has an auxiliary hydraulic pump that bolts to the side of the engine directly above and in front of the rear threaded holes circled and under the fuel tank. There is an inspection plate on the rear of the engine and it bolts right there. It really ups your hydraulic capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Well almost a year later,
    http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_0570.jpg
    and with his little brother,
    http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_0571.jpg

Hmmm,cannot seem to get them to show other than links.
    Last edited by vwguy3; 10-19-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those both turned out nice.
    The bucket on your Ford looks larger than what mine had...

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Well almost a year later,
    http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_0570.jpg
    and with his little brother,
    http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_0571.jpg

Hmmm,cannot seem to get them to show other than links.
    You should consider uploading the photos to your thread using the forum attachment feature. If/when you delete or move them in your photobucket account, no one will be able to view them taking critical information from your thread.

Great job on the loaders.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.
    Name:  IMG_0570.jpg
Views: 2826
Size:  99.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  138.2 KB
    I can't win for losin
    Last edited by vwguy3; 10-19-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Find a correct mounted loader. Mount where it mounts. Extra time spent on correct loader design will pale in comparison to breaking a tractor.

Please be conscious that this is a farm tractor, not a pay loader. Gentle operation is still warranted. They were built to load hay, silage, manure, topsoil, and loose gravel. They were never intended to dig stumps, boulders, or dig your cellar. Lots of nice farm tractors have been broken trying to use them as a bulldozer.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Engineering and design was done by Massey Ferguson. Tha tractor this loader came off was of similar size and power so I am confident it isn't oversized.
    It's funny you mention this, when I went to look at it the seller said a guy was coming to look at it to mount on an 8N.....i said that it would crush an 8n.
    As to operation, i have had the loader on the Cub Cadet 149 for about 10 yrs and have only broken one spindle which I knew going in was not adequate and have since bulit a steel axle and spindles with taper bearings.
    I understand and appreciate where your advice is coming from.
    Last edited by vwguy3; 10-20-2016 at 10:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist