View Poll Results: Best education for private fabrication business?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Self Taught

6 46.15%
  • Private School

3 23.08%
  • College Program

4 30.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Education - College vs Private vs Self Taught

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Education - College vs Private vs Self Taught

A lot of the guys here don't need help with general fabrication skills like a teenager but they need to learn welding. How good and what is the question. Fixing some yard stuff for Joe Retired is different than a 21 yr old in the construction industry. Same for maintenance people, I know guys cant stick but aint all bad wire welders, a little school wouldn't hurt but they can get the work done. I had a Bud stop in and ask for a lesson in 7018 up. We worked on it for an hour, he got a lot better. I saw a kid from a votech pick up a machine and prove he could run it, some not, some got talent some don't.
    I was teaching a class type thing and the father wanted the son to participate but it was so much more efficient to teach the father who can teach jr, Dad had the manual skill set where he had mastered his hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Most good welders have had some instruction. Doesn't have to be formal school, can be as well. I got fired for having my helper welding back in the day. He was wanting to test, he needed a couple days practice. He did a good job. It was free, he got paid I didn't have anything to do but look over his shoulder once in a while.
    He was a pretty fair welder his whole Ironworker career, don't think he likely got any other training than ojt when he got a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy asked me last week about welding, flux and pipe. If I fart around a couple weeks can do it all well but to walk in to a critical test booth today would be a problem. I told him,,, there would be enough general and fab welding to occupy me, I don't really wanna do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Education vs. self taught...…………...Hell...…...I dunno

I taught myself to weld. It was sorta ok, but cosmetics weren't all that great. It took looking over someone's shoulder to make it click. Same with uphill, it took that look at someone doing it right. (Note to y'all……….just observe someone who does a nice job......it's all you need to up your skill level)

Fabricating is a multi skill process. I truly feel that some formal education in Engineering is a plus. I wish I had some schooling on the subject. I'd wager that a mediocre engineer could do in an hour, what it takes me days of obsessing to figure out.

On the other hand......fabricating stuff that never existed,, not just making something commonly found, is an "idea" thing...….I don't believe that can be taught. It's innate......either there, or it ain't.

I wish I was a ton better at what I do, than what I am......but it's too late in the game to change it much. K'kins is really nice to me...…"You'll figure it out, you always do". Yabutt……...sometimes it takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought in closing.

Edison wasn't the "brightest bulb" on the Planet...…………...he had business sense...…..his whole claim to fame rode on the backs of the people he hired to invent stuff in his name.

So....you don't have to be a Master at everything going on out there on the shop floor....running a business is about running a business. Lotta guys get bogged down in the minutia, and lose sight of the business model, which sometimes leads to failure.