+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powcon history

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powcon history

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    I recall seeing some pictures of a factory in China. I believe they were on Longevity's site and they said some of their machines were made there. One picture showed some Cutmaster plasma units being built. That was awhile back. I believe it was the Shanghai WTL factory, which apparently made some of the small Thermal Arc inverters. Some of the small ESAB inverter TIG/Stick units being sold in Europe look virtually identical (Buddy Arc, Buddy TIG). WTL is a respectable manufacturer.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Cutmaster stuff was moved to Mexico since being included in the Victor umbrella, since they have a plant there.
    The Esab employee who recently posted here said that they have their own factory specifically producing the Rebel.

Dunno as far as anything else goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand why companies that are owned by large investment firms want to cut costs, and moving manufacturing to locations with lower overhead, lower labor, etc. is one method of achieving that (China, Mexico). It is certainly possible to manufacture good quality products anywhere in the world as long as: 1. the product is well engineered and designed, 2. The manufacturing of the product is done using the latest quality control processes. 3. The product is properly supported with tech support and parts support for many years.

My biggest issue is with the jobs (and peoples lives) that get affected by layoff's (from moving manufacturing from one place to another) that are done with the goal of simply cutting internal costs so that the investors can make more money for themselves at the expense of the people that were laid off.

The T-D West Lebanon plant is in the hometown that I grew up in, and while I now live in another town (close by) I had many friends that worked at T-D for many years. Some started working there right after high school.......all of a sudden they were without jobs, and someone in anther country was doing their job.

Many US based companies have been through this dilemma......and a good share of them will improve the efficiency of their plants and manufacturing operations (effectively cutting production costs) and improve the design of their products (making them more efficient to build).....instead of taking the "easy" route by laying off workers and sending the manufacturing jobs outside of the US.......simply for higher profits.

So, I have no issues with good products that come from anywhere in the world, I do have issues with companies that management that care only for their own personal gain at the expense of the production floor workers. End of rant!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Y

The Esab employee who recently posted here said that they have their own factory specifically producing the Rebel.

Dunno as far as anything else goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatweldini View Post
    My Powcon makes a ticking sound and whistles Dixie when I weld.
    My 300SM squeals like a pig when at high amps. Took another leap tho recently and bought a 400SMT for $22.00 at an auction.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the bargain 400 SMT is now toast... the magic smoke is gone. Sent it to the repair shop to be tested and if test was ok change the fried welding cable jacks and do the switch over from 460 V to 230 V every thing was done except switch to 230 V, now have a $325.00 boat anchor.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn. I was gonna tell you I found a plug for you too.

Sorry to hear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    I understand why companies that are owned by large investment firms want to cut costs, and moving manufacturing to locations with lower overhead, lower labor, etc. is one method of achieving that (China, Mexico). It is certainly possible to manufacture good quality products anywhere in the world as long as: 1. the product is well engineered and designed, 2. The manufacturing of the product is done using the latest quality control processes. 3. The product is properly supported with tech support and parts support for many years.

My biggest issue is with the jobs (and peoples lives) that get affected by layoff's (from moving manufacturing from one place to another) that are done with the goal of simply cutting internal costs so that the investors can make more money for themselves at the expense of the people that were laid off.

The T-D West Lebanon plant is in the hometown that I grew up in, and while I now live in another town (close by) I had many friends that worked at T-D for many years. Some started working there right after high school.......all of a sudden they were without jobs, and someone in anther country was doing their job.

Many US based companies have been through this dilemma......and a good share of them will improve the efficiency of their plants and manufacturing operations (effectively cutting production costs) and improve the design of their products (making them more efficient to build).....instead of taking the "easy" route by laying off workers and sending the manufacturing jobs outside of the US.......simply for higher profits.

So, I have no issues with good products that come from anywhere in the world, I do have issues with companies that management that care only for their own personal gain at the expense of the production floor workers. End of rant!

Jim
    Well said

Post Thanks / Like

Arcon also has a WarHorse and a 400smt in the works a little birdie told me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Powcon 300st (my favorite)
    Miller Goldstar 600ss
    Lincoln Idealarc 400/400
    Miller 12vs
    2 LN25's
    Miller Deltaweld 302
    Miller Bobcat 250 G EFI
    Miller Bobcat 225d Plus (Dropped a valve, up soon)
    Everlast 255ext (ordering soon!)

Post Thanks / Like

Just scored another 300sm cyclomatic branded for 325 happy little fella here! Drinkup!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Powcon 300st (my favorite)
    Miller Goldstar 600ss
    Lincoln Idealarc 400/400
    Miller 12vs
    2 LN25's
    Miller Deltaweld 302
    Miller Bobcat 250 G EFI
    Miller Bobcat 225d Plus (Dropped a valve, up soon)
    Everlast 255ext (ordering soon!)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist