+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Revised section for PowCon and Arcon inverters

Post Thanks / Like

Revised section for PowCon and Arcon inverters

After a request from a couple ppl since the PowCon subforum was created, it has been revised to also include Arcon inverters as well. Arcon is the "modern day PowCon", being it also is an SCR fired inverter using much of the same basic technology as the original PowCon machines. It is also co owned by one of the co inventors of the inverter technology that became what we in the states know as PowCon.

Arcon has been added to increase the support base for PowCon machines, plus offer welding web members and guests a place to discuss their products, and post equipment reviews, service information, etc.

Look forward to seeing new material here.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revised section for PowCon and Arcon inverters

7A749 - Thanks for adding this. I am also looking forward to see information posted on these machines.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I've been talking to another member here about getting an Arcon. My only drawback is that they're very pricey for what they are, and I just can't justify the expense at the moment. Even a refurbished machine is still $2500 bux. I think resale value would be tough too. For a user like me, I would have to see a very good resale value out of something like that since I'm not manufacturing a product or doing enough work with one to see a tangible ROI on stock rolling out the door. If I ended up in a position a few years after I bought it where I needed to get my investment back out of it. I foresee a difficult time finding a buyer for it. At least at a fair return after depreciation.

It seems that's the way it is with a lot of obscure or not very well known equipment, regardless of the quality. If the mainstream market knows very little about it, nobody is very apt to pay big money for something like that when Miller sells a very popular, comparably priced and outfitted unit for around the same money, and value on the used market.

It's still a great machine, just out of my price range at the moment for what it is.

If something changes and I can get one, I sure would love to do a review on it tho.
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-04-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I have something in the works on putting my hands on one and giving it a try. I have my fingers crossed and if things work out like I hope, we will all get to know a little more about arcon soon. If and when it gets here I'll definitely need your help 7a, the technical terminology and specific answers folks may request may be a little over my head, but most things usually are anyway.. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

If I can offer any help at all, just let me know.

Miller feeders should be plug and play with them. I'm pretty sure. I would have to look at the pin location to be sure tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the powers that be decided against my little arcon party, how did it work out for you 7a?

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard back from them. I sent Don a pretty detailed email describing exactly what my circumstances were at the moment, and he say he was gonna get back to me when his boss got back in the states. Besides that, I've been break neck busy with several machine jobs that have been steadily coming in since the end of last year.

Not that I'm in ANY way complaining about it

It's just been steady work and it hasn't left me freed up with much spare time for my own stuff, or screwing around with a demo machine. I'll have to contact him again and see what he says. I was talking to the Sanrex rep too, but pretty much the same deal. If I got a machine from them, it may be awhile before I could do anything with it.

I'll post up how I make out with Arcon. It might be awhile. I just got a call for some more work. Thank God.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, sounded like Don had a busy 2016 planned, maybe it'll all pan out. If you run across a creampuff maxstar 150 stl at a decent price send me a pm. I've got the worst itch for one of those things, I just can't squeeze out $1400.00 anytime soon.
    Millermatic 180
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Victor 100 torch

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, I had one last year. Sold it for like $700. It was pretty nice, I just never used it anymore.

Of course, I have needed it like a dozen times since then

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist