+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie - Need Help Selecting First MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie - Need Help Selecting First MIG

Hi All!

This is my first post to the forum, I am sure there will be many, many more. Long story short, I have never attempted to weld, so I will be a true beginner. My goal is to weld things such as exhaust, bumpers, fenders, etc. for my Jeep Wrangler. Also, I would like to be able to weld things around the home.

I have been told by several folks to go with a MIG style welder as it is one of the easier to learn and is great on the automotive side of things. Really just stumped on how powerful I would need in a welder to accomplish the jobs I mentioned above, always of the mindset buy quality up front so I don't have to replace in the near future.

A couple that have caught my eye would be the Hobart 140, Hobart 190, Lincoln 140, Lincoln 190 and the Klutch 140 (I believe this is made by Northern Tool, but not sure).

Also, another tid bit, I have no open 240v outlets except for on my portable generator, which has start watts of 6,250 and continuous of 5,000.

All input greatly appreciated! Thanks gang and I look forward to many future chats!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie - Need Help Selecting First MIG

Despite what manufacturers literature might say 110v migs top out at 1/8" steel under ideal real world conditions. Best bet is a 230v capable machine. Many homes have a 230v dryer outlet and a long extension cord will allow you to run most 200 amp or less migs at max output if need be.

The newer 110v/230v migs like Miller 211, Hobarts HH210 and Lincolns unit allow you the best of both worlds. On 230v all will do at least 1/4" and the Miller and Hobarts will do 3/8". If you need to be portable, on 110v all will top out at 1/8". run the machines on 230v in the shop and then if you need to do light work away from the house, you don't need a 2nd machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

A Tweco 211i runs on 110 or 220 and is a top of the line welder, Cyberworld has them for $941 and there is a $100. rebate. you get 160 amps on 110.
    Thermal Arc 210 - Tweco 211I - Cutmaster 52

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 211 is a awesome machine. You will not be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    The newer 110v/230v migs like Miller 211...
    Quote Originally Posted by TRENT View Post
    Millermatic 211 is a awesome machine. You will not be disappointed.
    I'll also suggest the 211. I have one and am very happy with it. My sole complaint is the 10' gun length, but that's easily solved with the M-150 15' gun for not much money. You can run three different wire sizes with the included drive roll, has an aluminum drive system, and includes plugs for both 110V and 220V outlets. It includes everything you need except a bottle of gas. Welder Supply has it for $1,065 and it's eligible for a $200 rebate. It's a lot of machine for the money.
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I'll also suggest the 211. I have one and am very happy with it. My sole complaint is the 10' gun length, but that's easily solved with the M-150 15' gun for not much money. You can run three different wire sizes with the included drive roll, has an aluminum drive system, and includes plugs for both 110V and 220V outlets. It includes everything you need except a bottle of gas. Welder Supply has it for $1,065 and it's eligible for a $200 rebate. It's a lot of machine for the money.
    I'll third the Miller 211. For what you want to do it will be the only welder you'll ever need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    x2
    I have the 211 inverter as well. It is more expensive than the other machines listed, but it will lay nice beads on 3/8" thick material with no sweat on 240v power. Bigger is better when it comes to amperage, not size, and this machine is the best of both worlds at a great price. Even beads on 1/2' material looked good, but the HAZ didn't show up on the back side. The 120v machines (I have a miller 135) will look somewhere between maybe OK and total crap, on 3/16" steel. The 211 does a far better job on 3/16. The advantage isn't lost if you get a bigger machine than what you plan to weld. The 211 will weld 1/8" for long periods of time and it will do a great job at it, where a 140 will be likely maxed out and you will exceed the rated duty cycle. Miller machines are known to work beyond the listed duty cycle. My 135 never tripped the thermal overload, even with hard use and it spent most of it's time on max voltage. Just because it will go beyond what is rated, doesn't mean it is good for the machine.

I have now outgrown (well, I outgrew it years ago) the 135 and it isn't worth much at all to resell. Go with a 190 amp model at minimum. Once you are thinking of that, then consider it is just a tiny jump to the 211 that will only be too small if you are doing very large quantities of welding or very heavy material, on a professional level. Buy once, cry once.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 211. 'Nuff said.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperArc View Post
    Miller 211. 'Nuff said.
    ME TOO ! Good bang for the buck for a beginner or pro. You could just go to the 252 MILLER if you are just starting out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    ME TOO ! Good bang for the buck for a beginner or pro. You could just go to the 252 MILLER if you are just starting out.
    That is what my brother did, after using my 135 a few times. He also borrowed my 135 and wanted to borrow the 211 because they are much easier to move to work that is away from the shop/garage. He has to find a victim to help him load the 252 in a truck, and I can lift the 211 inverter with ease, even with a jacked up back. Oh yeah, the 252 doesn't run on 120v either, and it didn't run LA-75 quite as nicely as the inverter machine did, but the 252 is a beast that can outweld me.

Did anyone mention that the 211 is a great machine?
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist