Thread: snap on welder

Post Thanks / Like

snap on welder

I have been talking to a guy who claims the Snap On FM 140 welder has a 100% duty cycle. None of the small welders i have read about claim that. Does anyone have any further knowledge about Snap On welders?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: snap on welder

Yea, it may have 100% duty cycle, but not at its highest settings.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as i know snap on never used to make their own welding sets,they used to buy other brands and have them sprayed red and put there logo on.I took a side panel off one yellow inside a Esab set, and red on the outside with their logo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a 200 amp snap on that belongs to a customer of mine. I do the work at his place and use his equipment. Its duty cycle is rated in an HOUR. not 10 minutes like the rest. I have had it at 200 amps for long welds till the whole gun and cable got too hot to hang onto. Arc is nice except a starting problem. The owner claims its made by CK because that is the only place he can get parts. You can buy at least one and a half new Lincoln welders at the Lincoln dealer for what you would pay for a snap on.

I did this with it. Total 250' of weld.

David

Name:  2beads.jpg
Views: 9003
Size:  73.3 KB
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

I took this right off of Snap-ON's site. Somehow I just don't think this is right.

Description:
    140 amp output @ 100% duty cycle, 120VAC, 50 Hz/60 Hz. Welds up to 5/16" in a single pass. Includes flowmeter-regulator. Does not include gas purge or -gauge DC TIG capability. Spool gun ready. Wire feeder built in and is not detachable. Ask your Snap-on® representative for information on conversion kits to allow FM140A to perform heavy gauge D.C. TIG welding of ferrous metals.

Product Specifications
    Stock # FM140A
    Name Welder, MIG, 140 amp
    Price** $2,820.90
    Brand Snap-on
    Input Voltage 120V
    Input Current 20/30A
    Output Current 140A
    Duty Cycle 100%
    Regulator Included Flowmeter-Regulator
    Thickness Range 5/16"
    Wire Size Range .023"-.045"

The worst part about it is the price.....$2,820.90 for a 140amp welder that's more than $920 more than I paid for my MM251.

Michael
    Millermatic 251
    15" Rockwell Drill Press
    10" Logan Lathe
    5hp - 2-stage 80 Gallon Compressor
    Home Made Sand / Soda Blaster

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people say those specs are bunk. I'd like to hear from more people and maybe find a used one out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Why worry about it? Buy a Miller or Lincoln and be done with it. At least you would know what you were getting.

Post Thanks / Like

At that price, buy a Miller AND a Lincoln.

I would say the specs are bunk as well. My MM210 has a big transformer and it isn't even 100% at 140 amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Spares for snap on welder,compare prices,with other makes i belive Miller ect are far cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

They are currently made by CK Systematics, Inc in west chester,pa. The transformer is pretty big and heavy(my dealer has one on his truck) I don't beleave the 100%duty cycle myself nor beleave the inflated price on the units..But i can find out some more info about them and the best prices on them from Snap-on dealers. My guy is the only tool guy i will deal with.He will strait up tell me the best price on a tool he can get.Cause if i'm asking about it he knows i'm looking for one.Next time i see him i'll take a picture of the transformer so you guys can compair to the other units out there.

J.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: snap on welder

My dad had a YA212AIND Snap on welder in his body shop for 2 years. In the 2 years I did most of the welding with it. The machine kept blowing out capacitor banks. I went threw 3. Snap on finally said we were abusing the welder and would not stand behind it. We sold it back to them after it was repaired and bought a Hobart Iron Man 250 and have never had a problem. Snap on makes good tools but they don't make good welders. At least from my experience.

Drivesector
    Drivesector

Hobart Handler 140
    Hobart Handler 180
    Ready Welder 2
    Hobart Air Force 400
    Airco Stinger 225

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."OZZY"

Post Thanks / Like

you ought to see the price on consumables. a guy i work with has one and for a diffuser, 3 tips and a nozzle was over $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

CK is the fine tig torch manufacturer in Seattle. They joined with Systematics some years back, but are separate now. Systematics builds a good product. Some of the Snap On we have seen have been Systematics and some Century. All these consumable parts can be had elsewhere, just as it is simple to put a common gun on the machine. weldersales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klunk42 View Post
    A lot of people say those specs are bunk. I'd like to hear from more people and maybe find a used one out there.
    I have had a fm 140 for about 16 years... it is the best portable welder made...it will weld
    100% duty cycle at all power settings...provided you have a hig enough rated 110 outlet.
    it also makes an excellent tig supply. anybody saying anything bad about thi welder obviously has not used one...or does not know how to weld.well worth the $2800. i paid
    for it

Post Thanks / Like

Snap On welders are made by CK Systematics but they are made exclusively for snap on meaning you cant get them anywhere else.
    all the info is at www.800abcweld.com a while back there was some comparison litterature and pictures of the internal parts and it was very obvious that the snap on was a way more capable welder.
    Matco Mac tools dont even manufacture tools they rebrand Danaher tools and mark them up double Snap On makes all there hand tools on american soil with american hands with american steel. so everytime you buy Cobalt Husky Matco Mac Cornwell and Craftsman tools there is a good chance its made in danahers factory in taiwan or forged in america with chinese steel.

Post Thanks / Like

I just have to keep wondering, every time a wonder welder with actual user proven capabilities is reviewed here, why would you want to look at any other welder for your prime earner tool.........the hard answer is, there's always a born sucker who dismisses the reviews and trusts purely on the bottom line of the invoice delivery docket......a poor man always pays twice.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the catch. The 140 amp rating of 100% is on a 30 amp 115 volt circuit,
    120 amps on a 20 amp circuit and 100 amps on a 15 amp circuit.
    See the spec page in the owners manual.