+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PowCon 400SM Sell or find wirefeeder ???

Post Thanks / Like

PowCon 400SM Sell or find wirefeeder ???

I purchased a PowCon 400SM, to learn how to weld, a couple of years ago. I don't weld that often and when I do I am in the lower 20% of its power output dial. I have been guessing at what my power output actually is because it doesn't have the optional output display. For the few welding projects I have done its been a steep learning curve. I figured out how to TIG with it to repair an exhaust system. It doesn't seem like a good fit for an occasional weekend project by an inexperienced operator.
    I'd like to try wirefeed MIG welding. So I listed the welder for sale on craigslist with a price I would be thrilled to get for it. I have no idea what it is actually worth. The guy at the LWS said 'not much'. I have looked at the price of wirefeeders and it looks just as expensive to just by a one of the smaller MillerMatics, Hobarts, or Lincoln weldpaks (NOT from a big box store)

Should I be able to sell my PowCon for the price of newer hobby sized MIG ?

Should I keep looking for a wirefeeder to attach to the PowCon?

Here is the text from the ad I posted :

PowCon 400 amp industrial welding power supply.
    I have been stick welding with this machine in the lower end of its range. Don't let the size fool you it has plenty of power, more than I can possibly use in my garage. This is a compact DC inverter power supply capable of SMAW / stick welding with arc force control. Can also scratch start TIG weld.
    With an appropriate wire feeder and MIG gun is capable of short arc and spray transfer MIG welding.
    Has remote plug on the back for remote weld power control and or remote contactor control.
    Can be plugged in to 240V or 480V input voltage on single phase or 3 phase AC.
    Currently configured for 240 volt single phase input (must be reconfigured for other voltages).
    Max output on single phase is 250 amp. 3 phase is required for 400 amp max output.

Duty Cycle information
    240/480V 3 Phase @400amp 28%, @300amp 60%, 240amp 100%
    240/480V 1 Phase @200amp 60%, @160amp 100%

Payment accepted via PayPal, Square credit card reader, money order, or cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PowCon 400SM Sell or find wirefeeder ???

Exactly what are you trying to get out of it?

Your asking price is steep for that machine (I looked it up). Very doubtful you'll get any bites in that price range.

They're great machines, but even tho Arcon does support them to a degree, parts are getting very hard to come by.

You could put a wire feeder on it. I'm pretty sure you can connect a Miller 50 series or one of their 24 volt units to it. All told you would prolly be less in a real nice feeder and gun than you would buying a new, much smaller welder outright.

Just something to think about.

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-22-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The price is a little high I expect that someone will offer lower and negotiate. Looking on ebay I see some 300sm power supplies listed for $450, 300st for $750, 300sm with feeder $1,250, and a 500smp with feeder for $2,200. I have no idea what they have actually sold for. My calculations are assuming I can get 700-800 for the whole thing then put that towards something like a MillerMatic 211 with autoset (something aimed more at the occasional hobby user). The MM211 is retailing for around $1200 So I'm putting an additional $400 in. I haven't found a good wirefeeder for the powcon for less than $400. I have been finding Miller wirefeeders for 500 and up including a 12vs for 825. Maybe I am not looking in the right place for inexpensive wirefeeders. That's why I am asking here.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I understand where you're at. It's a great machine, don't get me wrong. I'm just figuring if you already got a great power source, throw a feeder on it and you're good to go.

I guess if you got $700-800 for it, that's pretty good everything considered.

I have wire feeders available for sale, but they are sold as completely refurbished and warrantied. I didn't post this to try and sell you one, if you do some shopping around you could prolly find something for a couple few hundred bux. You would still need a connection cord for it tho, and I can understand not wanting to screw with that either. Just saying you got a nice welding machine already that can do a lot of things and do them very well. I would capitalize on that if it were mine.

Best of luck with it either way.

IMHO of course

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist