Thread: Anyone have experience with Northstar generators?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience with Northstar generators?

I've been looking for options to a 100ft 240v extension cord, and someone suggested a generator.

I've been ignoring the big-box store brands like Northstar (Norhtern Tool), but I was there today and looked one over and it really seemed to be a nice unit. It had a Honda GX270RT2 engine and a Mecc Alte generator - both we'll established companies in their fields. I expect maybe a Honda motor and some no-name generator, so I was surprised to find a nice UL, CSA, VDE approved generator from an ISO 9001 company. I really expected to find no-name parts!

Does anyone have any direct experience with a Northstar generator that they can share?

Thanks!

Beuford

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone have experience with Northstar generators?

Hello Beuford, I have a Northstar 2700 watt generator that I use for powering a Milwaukee 3/4" drill that I've equipped with a 4" earth auger. I install sign posts for my wife's realty business with it. It has been a "first pull start" unit from the get-go and I purchased it second hand. I would have no reservations about purchasing another one if this one ever gives out. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of the one I was looking at, and identification stickers from the system, motor, and generator:

Last edited by Beuford; 01-18-2016 at 03:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 10,500-watt model (Item# 165606). It's a good generator -- as you mentioned, these use Honda engines and quality generator heads (claimed 5% THD or less, copper windings). Engine has an automatic electrical fuel shut-off solenoid, which I like since I sometimes forget to shut off the tank valve. Generator head runs cool under load.

I'd been looking at the Generac models, but to get one with guaranteed THD specs, you have to pay a big premium. My dislikes with the NS? 1.) no fuel gauge; have to look into tank and guess. 2.) wheel kit is $100 extra purchase. 3.) Battery not included (I used a lawn tractor battery, works fine). 4.) mechanical governor is a bit slow to respond to large, stepped load changes (never been an issue in practice; just mentioning)

Post Thanks / Like

the reviews on Northern Tool seem indicate they're pretty good.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

How many Watts/Amps are you needing in the garage? Will this be a permanent arrangement?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a NS 5500 watt (Honda engine). Bought it in 99 following a huge ice storm that taught me an 11 day no-power lesson. It certainly has not been babied but has remained reliable (providing I use the fuel cut off and run it dry after each use).

I now also have a military diesel generator hard wired.

Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

When I was looking for a generator, I looked at the North star generator but decided to try the black max 7000 generator from SAMS. It has a Honda engine, electric start with Aux pull start, a 240 volt 30 amp twist lock with 6 120 volt outlets . So far It has worked very good and will run my 200 amp Inverter welder without a hickup at max output. I payed $1000.00 3 years ago, and now has around 300 hrs on it. So far I have been very satisfied.
    SA 200s : 1944 1945 1963 1965 1969 1980
    1981 SA 250 D3.152 DC only
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro Mig 135
    Miller Load Bank
    Hobart GPB 258 Pipeliner
    Hobart GPB 261 Mainliner
    Hobart Airforce 250
    Everlast PA 200st

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BYW200 View Post
    When I was looking for a generator, I looked at the North star generator but decided to try the black max 7000 generator from SAMS. It has a Honda engine, electric start with Aux pull start, a 240 volt 30 amp twist lock with 6 120 volt outlets . So far It has worked very good and will run my 200 amp Inverter welder without a hickup at max output. I payed $1000.00 3 years ago, and now has around 300 hrs on it. So far I have been very satisfied.

My son in Northern VA has the same generator, 3-4 years old. In prep for this latest storm, he started and ran it. Produced random sparks in the exhaust. Oil fine. Any suggestions?
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

The spark arrestor may need to be cleaned if it has excessive carbon build up. It should have screws on the exhaust outlet to remove the screen. Reminds me of the old Briggs and Stratton engines muffler that would glow red and shoot sparks out.
    SA 200s : 1944 1945 1963 1965 1969 1980
    1981 SA 250 D3.152 DC only
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro Mig 135
    Miller Load Bank
    Hobart GPB 258 Pipeliner
    Hobart GPB 261 Mainliner
    Hobart Airforce 250
    Everlast PA 200st

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying a used Gillette PP-50HGS generator off of Craigslist. Gillette makes the generator head right here in the USA, and uses Honda GX engines for the power source.

This one is only rated at 5000W, but so far my Hobart 210MVP runs fine with it in 240V mode. However, I've limited myself to running at less than full power on the welder; if I had the settings all the way up I would probably pop the breaker on the generator. No inrush/surge issues noticed so far.

REALLY nice generator, though - originally part of a house backup power system that included a manual transfer switch. The owner was selling the house, and didn't want to remove the transfer switch. I bought the generator alone.

Beuford