Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't buy a new pickup with a manual transmission!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't buy a new pickup with a manual transmission!

In 2000 when I took the drivers test, the officer told me "due to insurance", they wont teach/pass anyone with a manual transmission. They had too many accidents. With all the distractions: cell phones, touchscreens, etc. Shifting would be hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Back in 2001 I was looking to buy my a new truck (2000 F250 7.3). Every dealer I went into looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them I wanted manual windows, manual locks, manual transmission, rubber floor mat, vinyl seats and no radio.
    When they finally recovered from the shock they all said "You'll have to SPECIAL order that".
    After months of searching I finally found a used 2000 (4 months old) that had everything I wanted except it had an automatic transmission so I settled for it.
    I'll give you 1 guess what is the only thing on the truck in 250,000 miles that has ever had a wrench laid on it.
    That's right, the f***ing automatic transmission!!
    At 124,000 miles it cost me $2800 to rebuild!
    That's, easy, you just need an XL not an XLT. But got to get that from a dealer that does a lot of commercial sales.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Almost as bad as having to replace a dual mass clutch...

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a manual trans, you have to build the truck yourself, or "live" with the dodge. I chose to build a truck year just before they put the new diesel emissions in (DPF). I built an 06 f350 king ranch with a 5.9 cummins and a ZF-6 manual trans. It has manual 4x4 shifter directly to the transfer case and manual locking hubs. Best engine, best trans, and best truck. It was a lot of work, but well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    That's, easy, you just need an XL not an XLT. But got to get that from a dealer that does a lot of commercial sales.
    Correct. The XL will have the manual. When I built my truck, I bought an XL for the frame and trans. I wanted a fully loaded truck with all the manual options. All these 6.0 diesels blow their lids like soda pop given enough time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDreamSoReal View Post
    Correct. The XL will have the manual. When I built my truck, I bought an XL for the frame and trans. I wanted a fully loaded truck with all the manual options. All these 6.0 diesels blow their lids like soda pop given enough time.
    Still undecided on keeping or selling my F450. But if I keep it, (it has the manual and remanufacturerd 7.3 direct from IH, plus manual hubs and floor 4wd shifter) I'd like to find an XLT or higher that was wrecked and get the interior and power windows and locks out of it.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Keep that 7.3! they're an awesome engine. I chose cummins for mine as 7.3 being 444CID isn't as fuel friendly as 360CID. As for interior, online i've seen some guys swap a 2012 interior and front end conversion with a little work. I Bet the seats are a bolt in. The dash, prob not so much, but can be done. The gauges need to be reworked a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Ram (Dodge) is the only manufacturer currently offering manual transmission trucks. 6 speed manual in the 2500 thru 5500 diesels only.
    Ford and GM stopped quite a few years ago. Think Ford was around 2008 and GM even longer.
    Gm stopped with the 07 classic in the 2500/3500 I had a hell of a time finding a 5 speed 2500 hd, but eventually did, still daily drive the truck....
    Millermatic 252 with 25' Alumapro and/or 15' Bernard Q400~Miller Dynasty 200 DX~Miller Syncrowave 250 Water Cooled~Miller Bobcat 225~Hypertherm Powermax 45~Hobart Handler~Snap On KRL1032E/1056

Post Thanks / Like

I think dodge would let you put a manual in a 6.7 diesel, unless they stopped.. I havent checked!
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder
    Miller Bobcat 225g Plus
    Lincoln PowerMig 200

Forney O/A Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmster View Post
    In 2000 when I took the drivers test, the officer told me "due to insurance", they wont teach/pass anyone with a manual transmission. They had too many accidents. With all the distractions: cell phones, touchscreens, etc. Shifting would be hard.
    In Europe auto transmissions are not so common.
    I live in the Netherlands, the "normal" driving lessons and exams are with a manual transmission.
    If you somehow can,t manage to drive with a manual transmission you can take the exam with an automatic transmission.
    But with that "automatic" drivers license you are only allowed to drive cars with an automatic transmission.

If you buy a car with a auto tranny that,s not a problem, but getting a rentalcar with an auto tranny or borrowing somebody,s car is getting more difficult.

Basically if you have that "automatic" drivers license, people think you are special because you ride the short bus to school.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    t.Basically if you have that "automatic" drivers license, people think you are special because you ride the short bus to school.
    In America I guess we all ride the short bus!
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder
    Miller Bobcat 225g Plus
    Lincoln PowerMig 200

Forney O/A Rig

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton dodge Both autos don't mind them to much still like my standards but the new motors make way to much power for a standard same as the fly by wire gas pedals most people would tear out axles and granade driveshafts with the actual power the diesels put out now
    High Octane Welding

Post Thanks / Like

Time for a CHEVY.Just replaced my rusty F150 with a Chevy.There was an 08 Chevy with a manual beside it but the 7 foot bed turned me off.I see a lot more Chevys around here since I bought one.

Post Thanks / Like

Ram still puts a G56 6 speed in their diesels. But the Cummins is down rated so it doesn't tear up the Trans! The new Cummins with the Aisin 6 auto has 900 lb ft torque. Of course, unless you get a Dually, you're stuck with 3.42 gears. If you go with DRW then you get a choice of 3.73 or 4.10's.
    Just a Miller kind of guy,
    DVI
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Extreme 375