Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't buy a new pickup with a manual transmission!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't buy a new pickup with a manual transmission!

Quote Originally Posted by justin1098 View Post
    Why would you want to juggle gears in a big truck when you can have an 8 speed automatic? They are way better than the junk from the 70s and 80s. If you want a sports car, get a sports car. They still have manuals.
    Driving with a manual transmission is about being in full control of your vehicle. Sports car, family sedan, SUV, pickup or OTR truck and semi-trailer. Size or type doesn't matter.

It's bad enough the accelerator pedal just files a request with the computer about how much power the driver wants. No longer is there linkage to the throttle plate (gas) or injector-pump slide (Diesel).

An automatic transmission can only react to current input. It cannot anticipate the conditions that will occur in the next few seconds. That is where the driver's responsibilities lay.

We can see what is happening on the road ahead. It is up to us drivers to set our vehicles for what is happening as well as what is about to happen. No machine can do that.

So, if all you want to do is point your vehicle in the general direction of your destination, listen to your GPS and let all the automation you paid too much for get you there. Go ahead!

I'll keep my manual transmission, full knowledge of where I am, constantly assess the threats to my safe journey and enjoy driving my car or truck.
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    There haven't been Sterling trucks built since 2009. Their pickup was a reskinned Dodge anyway.
    Nothing reskinned, just a grille with the Sterling name and their logo on the steering wheel instead of the ram head. I keep toying with replacing my Dodge's grille with a Sterling one.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

I realized after l typed that that the word l should have used is "rebadged".
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been through every version of the fuller 10 speed automatic.... they all Suck.
    they hesitate when you switch from drive to reverse.... So when you pull up to make your approach, this pause is just enough time for a 4 wheeler to sneak around the back of you... because they think you are stopped. If you don't think thats a big deal, try backing in off the street in NYC or boston.
    people are animals. no courtesy at all. (or common sense)

Also, If you are on a slippery surface like ice or light snow, you are DONE. It senses the wheels spinning and cuts the engine power.
    I've had to call a tow truck to pull me literally 10 FEET forward to get out of a declined loading dock.
    with a manual, you can put it in a higher gear and get yourself out ...

the fullers are also very slow to upshift when you are empty. Most drivers will manually slap the paddle shifter up 2 gears at a time just to get going... which beats the hell out of the equipment ...
    With a stick, you just take off in 2nd or even third gear.

Now, my most recent auto is a Detroit 12 speed. I must say, it shifts a lot faster than the fullers... will even skip gears.
    but there is still a slight hesitation ...
    in my opinion, the technology has not been perfected yet.

my thats what the company wants... I'm just a steering wheel holder.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with automatics is they are more prone to failure and cost more to fix....
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Autos suck big time in the off road boonie bouncing work environment. They have a few good points, but mostly downs. Great when you get back on the pavement.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I've run a bunch of trucks over the last 15 years. I've spent a whole lot less money maintaining 3/4 and 1 tons with autos than I have spent fixing clutches, transfer cases, drivelines, and broken axle shafts. I hire guys to weld, not be a truck driver. With the auto there is only one rule from me, LO range in the transfer case in the field.
    A friend of mine, (heavy duty pipeliner) just got a RAM 4500 with an auto. He was the most diehard stickshift guy I ever met and he's loving this truck.
    What works for me may not work for the rest. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Nissan Frontier still offers Standard trans...and I think so does the Toyota Tacoma. But....they aren't full size trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the ZF-6 in my 99 F250. Unfortunately the tranny ate itself. Ended up with a new F250, has the shiftable 6 speed auto. I've been pretty happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual transmissions are appreciated by us older guys who know the advantages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
    Driving with a manual transmission is about being in full control of your vehicle. ...
    Back in 1969, my brother and I persuaded my Mom to buy a stick shift so we could learn to drive one. She knew how, and so she bought a '69 Camaro and taught us. She then drove a stick until she was about 65, when my Dad had bad arthritis and just couldn't get a grip on anything. She said she liked the control. She had an Audi and then a nice Acura 5-speed. She never got into the paddle shifters on her 4WD Lexus.

How does one rock a vehicle back and forth with an automatic, to get out of a slight bind in a slippery situation? With a stick, it's just a little clutch/pedal action. I had to do it the other day with my wife's auto, and it was a pain in the *** and not very effective. Another thing about manuals is that it gives you something to do with your hands while driving besides drinking a beer and smoking. It's hard for me to drive an automatic without thinking about it. I have to be really careful and all that because I don't really control it. I guess 45 years of driving with a stick takes it's toll.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new 2015 ram 2500 last year with the 6 speed it was a good truck but it was detuned from the factory. I ended up trading it in on a 2015 ram 3500 dually with the Asian automatic very happy won't go back. Awesome for in town traffic and backing trailers in tight spots. I have owned and driven many stick shift and autos . For hauling I had a duramax with the Allison and it was amazing never had a mintues trouble from that transmission. I'm hoping the aisin will do the same. I have a friend with a 2008 sterling 4500 and he has just over 600,000 miles on it with the Cummins and Asian and they are both original. He has had to replace the turbo and wiring harness and front end parts.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin1098 View Post
    Why would you want to juggle gears in a big truck when you can have an 8 speed automatic?
    Ever try rebuilding an automatic in a parking lot a thousand miles from home when your tranny **** the bed?

A clutch will give you a few thousand miles warning that its going out. An automatic might be fine one minute and completely **** the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Another thing about manuals is that it gives you something to do with your hands while driving besides drinking a beer and smoking. It's hard for me to drive an automatic without thinking about it. I have to be really careful and all that because I don't really control it.
    dont forget,

When the car in front of you stops quick and you slam yer left foot on the floor pushing in the invisible clutch pedal.....
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing that we can not buy a stick shift truck here, but in Europe if you rent a vehicle, a automatic costs on average 3 times as much as a stick shift. What sells dictates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    dont forget,

When the car in front of you stops quick and you slam yer left foot on the floor pushing in the invisible clutch pedal.....
    I guess I'm not the only one....
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Post Thanks / Like

I my self am a manual trans fan. If the auto makers want to see how a heavy duty automatic transmission needs to be designed, they should look at Cat and Deere. They know how to transfer serious horse power to the ground.

Dan D.
    Manipulator Of Metal

Advan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post

A lot of new truck drivers don't even know how to drive a 10 or 18 speed

Pretty sad.

Up here, you have to take your road test in a manual tranny truck, or you don't get your license. At least, that's how it was 7 years ago when I did it. I think it's a good way to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked manuals since college days when most of my cars were just marginal and I never knew when I'd have to resort to push-starts and popping the clutch.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of guys hate auto in big trucks. Have heard many stories of guys getting stuck on flat surfaces in snow especially with super singles. For us auto in pick up is a good thing we used to go through many clutches pulling trailers. Our many trailer puller has 180,000 miles on the original auto.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
    Looks like my next 1-ton will be a restoration project.

I will not settle for anything less than a manual transmission. My daily driver (2013 VW Jetta turbo-Diesel) has a six speed that has a low enough 1st so that stop-and-go-traffic is a non-issue and 6th has the engine turning just over 1500RPM @ 60MPH. I'd like to see an automatic do that!

Anybody have an automatic transmission that will be in the correct gear when you finally get past the cop and ticket-recipient? Nope! It'll be in next-to-top-gear with the torque converter clutch open (moving at 25MPH) then you press the pedal to get back to road speed (downshift to 2nd) over-rev (slam 3rd) build speed (now the computer and transmission are in the groove) smooth gear changes and the clutch closes when back to cruising at road speed.

I'll be in 3rd when I see things are breaking up. Call for power and upshift as needed.

We are living in way over-engineered times!
    While I don't disagree with what you are saying, just about all new auto trans vehicles can be trans tuned to eliminate most of what you are complaining about. I have tuned my Ram's trans to suit my driving style, and it has almost...almost, made me not hate the auto trans.

My commuter car is a 5 speed 4 cyl, and that same car with the auto trans is a absolute dog to drive. Maybe it is old skool, but I sure do miss my F150 302 w/ the 4 spd and granny low first.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day in the world of Drag Racing automatics were for "Paraplegics and Old Lady's"...

Now?

All the Super Classes are ruled by automatics and air shifters.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Back in the day in the world of Drag Racing automatics were for "Paraplegics and Old Lady's"...

Now?

All the Super Classes are ruled by automatics and air shifters.

...zap!
    Takes the fun outta the game though.
    Offroading (rock crawling) would be so much easier with a slushbox, but I do it for the challenge, so I'll stick with my manual.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at "trucks" at my friendly Ford dealer and was
    disappointed to find that there were no:
    Manual transmissions
    Regular cabs
    8' beds(except on a few diesels)
    Pick-up truck market seems to be geared to
    people commuting to the office.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    I was looking at "trucks" at my friendly Ford dealer and was
    disappointed to find that there were no:
    Manual transmissions
    Regular cabs
    8' beds(except on a few diesels)
    Pick-up truck market seems to be geared to
    people commuting to the office.
    Back in 2001 I was looking to buy my a new truck (2000 F250 7.3). Every dealer I went into looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them I wanted manual windows, manual locks, manual transmission, rubber floor mat, vinyl seats and no radio.
    When they finally recovered from the shock they all said "You'll have to SPECIAL order that".
    After months of searching I finally found a used 2000 (4 months old) that had everything I wanted except it had an automatic transmission so I settled for it.
    I'll give you 1 guess what is the only thing on the truck in 250,000 miles that has ever had a wrench laid on it.
    That's right, the f***ing automatic transmission!!
    At 124,000 miles it cost me $2800 to rebuild!