+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best quality multimeter for general testing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best quality multimeter for general testing?

I use this one when testing the AC and DC response on welders, very happy with it Amprobe ACDC-100 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HNDM5Y/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the 117, excellent choice, you will be very satisfied.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the 117, excellent choice, you will be very satisfied.
    I am looking for a cheap alternative. Fluke 117 price is 162 bucks but my budget is only $60 bucks. Which type multimeter I should buy for general home use?
    I was searching for the best multimeter for the money and found an article about Multimeter Reviews https://bestmultimeterreviews.org. I have found mastech multimeter as a cheap option & bought that.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Fluke 175 for almost eight years. I lost it on a job; we believe a new guy thought it was his and took it with him, on his first and last day on the job. I liked the 175, but it was slow to beep in continuity mode. I had read that the 87v was fast, so I bought it. It cost almost $600 after I got all the different probes for it.

I use my meter for two hours straight sometimes, looking for ground faults. It is much better than my old 175 because it instantly beeps if there is continuity. That may not sound important, but when you are trying to find a ground fault in a fire alarm system in a high rise, it is very important. Also, it can withstand a fall from a ladder, or if I am working on a standpipe on a ladder troubleshooting a water flow, and I have it suspended by its magnet from the standpipe, and it falls it is not affected. I do not do that, but it will happen.

But I believe as many have said that almost any common meter will work for what you are doing.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Both the 175 and the 87v measure hertz. It is important if you have a data line that will show voltage as if it is a constant voltage. With the hertz capability, you can see it is pulsed DC rather than continuous DC. Also for AC frequency drives you can see what the hertz are.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deskion View Post
    I am looking for a cheap alternative. Fluke 117 price is 162 bucks but my budget is only $60 bucks. Which type multimeter I should buy for general home use?
    As cheap but good alternative, you should look at Uni-T, they are good multimeters and have been reviewed to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have several Fluke meters and they all work great. Any time the voltage reading is off, change the battery. I had one that instead of 240 volt read 175 or so. The ohms readings were still all right but the voltage reading was the only thing wrong that I noticed. All other meters I had used would be way off on ohms readings not being able to zero them out when the battery was low. The most complicated meter I have is an old OTC automotive meter I bought on EBay years ago. It came with a full set of leads for cars with several sizes of back probe leads, RPM, DC/ AC amp clamp meter, and a full set of thermo-couples for air and liquid and contact. Very nice meter they don't make any more.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist