+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avaice request: Welding sequence to keep a piece square

Post Thanks / Like

Avaice request: Welding sequence to keep a piece square

I am going to add an arm to a heavy duty weight rack. The arm is going hold a punching bag that weighs about 40 pounds. I am trying to match the original rack. The main beam will be made from 1/4" thick 3" square tube. The plate is 3/8"x 3" flat bar. The diagonal is 2-1/2"x1/4" square tube. I have a Miller Passport 211 MIG, Dynasty 200DX, and 6010 stick available but I haven't used stick in several years. I have the Bessey corner clamps and welding table.

Weight rack
    Name:  DSCF0133.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  17.9 KB

The new arm is in black in this pic

Name:  arm.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  18.6 KB

What sequence would you suggest? The number 3 of the sides is obviously in the back. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    Name:  DSCF01374.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  44.1 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avaice request: Welding sequence to keep a piece square

First question I will ask, is this power rack bolted to the floor?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you're really worried about distortion, I wouldn't be looking for a "sequence" as much as I'd be inclined to tack it all over the place, double check that you're still square and do final join up by skipping around with <1" long welding beads, and then welding up the gaps in between. If you concentrate too much heat in a small area you can take a square junction and pull it out of square.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neuralsnafu View Post

Precisely. Looks like it has potential to tip over...Lotta weight to hang out 3.5' And I kinda doubt weld distortion will matter much for this, as long as it doesn't go crazy. Does the bag need to hang +/- 1/4"? Seems like you may be overthinking weld distortion, and underthinking about basic stability, but you did not give enough info to be sure on the latter point. You could just bolt it, too.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neuralsnafu View Post

It is not bolted to the floor but here is a pic of the whole rack. The new arm will be on the front left of the rack and parallel to the pull up bar. If 42 inches is too long or too much of a lever, it can be shortened to 36 inches. The user can also add more weights to the rear racks if needed.

Name:  DSCF0141.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  29.2 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a video where Jody (welding tips and tricks) goes over distortion in some common welding situations. The square tube part starts at 6:00.

My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Post Thanks / Like

First.

I'd have 6 bolt bolts total holding arm to main frame. Two top, middle, bottom. 2 holes side by side. A single hole bolt pattern down the center will act like a pivot.

Also, I'd tac the arm together and bolt it to a mock 3x3" baseplate. Weld the A'S and C'c while it is bolted down.

Weld all the A'S and C'S as you wish, they really are not going to pull much. I personally would not weld them all the way out. That is alot of heat. I would do symmetrically spaced 1" long welds in 4 or 6 spots around each 3x3 joint.

I would not weld B2 and especially not weld B4 at all. B4 will fold the arm over for sure. Just do an inch long Weld on B1 and that's it. The radius on 1/4" material butted up against the flat wall of the 3x3" tube at B1 will be a perfect and naturally prepped joint for doing a small weld and all you need. Don't weld B4.

I do agree with Dave about not being too concerned with Weld distortion. It's not going to be too much anyway plus the bag is going to pull the arm down anyway. From a design standpoint, why not add 1 or 3" of rise to the arm?
    Last edited by Jimmy_pop; 01-28-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you just bolt an 84" long piece of 3x3-1/4" to the very top of the rack (with 42' extending out) and not weld anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Iain P. I have watched quite a few of Jody's videos and was familiar with the technique for square tube. Adding the diagonal was where I am not sure.
    Jimmy Pop. I looked at running a piece of square tube all the way across the tube but the uprights stick up 2 inches above the horizontal cross member. I can add material yt? O take up the difference.
    I was also debating running another diagonal from front to back to lessen the chance for forward to back movement but the other cross member do not line up.
    I will try to attach a pic from my phone but dont know if it will work

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

This is the sequence I would use; I'd tack it on each tubing corner, checking for square after each tack, then I would weld the horizontal joints, alternating direction of travel, then the vertical joints, alternating sides to keep the heat somewhat even.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    Could you just bolt an 84" long piece of 3x3-1/4" to the very top of the rack (with 42' extending out) and not weld anything?
    This above ^^^^^^. Me too, I would get the length required for the extension overhang and fasten to the existing top. You could weld flatstock to the sides of new top piece with holes to through underneath the existing top. I think it would look much cleaner and like a manufactured add on accessory.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s going to move, that’s a fact of life. Square tubing is very reactive to heat! It’s just a matter of what kind of tolerances you can live with.
    Here are a few heat shrink techniques I use post weld to bring back into shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_pop View Post
    First.

I'd have 6 bolt bolts total holding arm to main frame. Two top, middle, bottom. 2 holes side by side. A single hole bolt pattern down the center will act like a pivot.

Also, I'd tac the arm together and bolt it to a mock 3x3" baseplate. Weld the A'S and C'c while it is bolted down.

Weld all the A'S and C'S as you wish, they really are not going to pull much. I personally would not weld them all the way out. That is alot of heat. I would do symmetrically spaced 1" long welds in 4 or 6 spots around each 3x3 joint.

I would not weld B2 and especially not weld B4 at all. B4 will fold the arm over for sure. Just do an inch long Weld on B1 and that's it. The radius on 1/4" material butted up against the flat wall of the 3x3" tube at B1 will be a perfect and naturally prepped joint for doing a small weld and all you need. Don't weld B4.

I do agree with Dave about not being too concerned with Weld distortion. It's not going to be too much anyway plus the bag is going to pull the arm down anyway. From a design standpoint, why not add 1 or 3" of rise to the arm?
    Thats interesting because I would have welded the whole thing out just jumping around. Not welding b4 and b2? Wouldn't it not seal and/or look okay? Even after paint? What if this was an outdoor application and it needed to be completely sealed? You would weld the whole thing then, right?

Dynasty 200DX (2014)
    Millermatic 211 (2015)
    Optrel 864 (2014)
    Smith Medium duty MBA 30510 (Xmas 2014)
    Tennsmith 16ga 4ft finger brake (2015)
    Trailblazer 325 EFI and excel
    Thermal dynamics Cutmaster 82
    Miller maxtron 450

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outdoort View Post
    Thats interesting because I would have welded the whole thing out just jumping around. Not welding b4 and b2? Wouldn't it not seal and/or look okay? Even after paint? What if this was an outdoor application and it needed to be completely sealed? You would weld the whole thing then, right?
    Welding b4 will cause shrinkage on that side of the arm that sticks out, causing it to nose dive towards the ground. You can weld it if you backbend it before welding.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist