Thread: Older Lincoln AC/DC 225

Post Thanks / Like

Older Lincoln AC/DC 225

There is an older Lincoln AC/ DC 225 for sale locally for $250. Is this a good price? Is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid on these older machines?

Here's a picture:

Thanks in advance!

Beuford

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Older Lincoln AC/DC 225

That's probably a late 80's / early 90's model by looks of the faceplate. I bought one several years back just like it in similar shape. They are tough little welders and very reliable. The polarity switch and amp selector switch are probably the most troublesome parts about them. Over time moisture and corrosion will cake the contacts green and the switches are hard to turn. This is very easily corrected by taking out all 457 sheet metal screws that hold the entire thing together and polishing the little contacts back up again. Be sure the fan runs and the on / off switch snaps hard. As far as price, that's a regional thing. I see them from $125-$300 in different parts of the country. With the sheetmetal being bent on the bottom edge and some crusty dust I'd try for at least $100 less than the asking price and go from there. If you have some want to and a little elbow grease it will shine up like a top and provide you years of trouble free service.

The one I had was almost as crusty as yours when I started. I bought it with the intentions of cleaning it up and giving it to my dad, who was well into retirement tinkering years. He had an older Marquette buzz box he played around with for 30+ years. I dropped this off with him and the next weekend when I saw him he was still grinning.

Name:  ac.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  55.3 KB
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda rough looking for $250 , I bought one last year for $250 and it looks like the picture in the previous post , just make sure it welds on dc , they're a good unit with no real issues . If it works offer them $150 , as the previous post mentioned .

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give $250 for one if it worked well. They're handy machines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Those little lincolns always carry a premium price tag compared to other ac/dc machines in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one 30 plus years ago used it for twenty ears and sold it for the original purchase price. A two wheel dolly will make it handy to move around. I cut the original leads off about 2' from the case and put Tweco connectors on the leads so I could use longer leads. Great machine, never a problem in 20 years.