+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The welding rods I wish they would make

Post Thanks / Like

The welding rods I wish they would make

I really like the rod diameter of 5/64 so much better than 1/16.

Now, if they only made 6010, 6011, 7018 in that diameter, I could have a lot more fun

2. Dislikes Hobbytime disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The welding rods I wish they would make

If that little bit of rod makes that much difference to you, then you need to learn to adjust your welder a little better. Machine setup and rod manipulation makes those sizes virtually identical. While I have some 1/16 rod, I don't find much use for it other than thin material in an awkward spot to weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    I really like the rod diameter of 5/64 so much better than 1/16.

Now, if they only made 6010, 6011, 7018 in that diameter, I could have a lot more fun
    i only use 5/64 cause little 120 volt welders has a 80 amp limit which welds more like it has a 60 amp limit. only USA uses 120 volts. every other country uses only 240 volts then there is no problem with 80 amp limited welders. it is only a usa problem
    the reason they do not make small rod in many types is smaller rods will not weld heavy thick plate without lack of penetration problems. literally you need a minimum rod size with thick plate to get a high quality bead. sure 5/64 is ok for sheetmetal.
    most problems with 6013 is people using too small a rod size and too low amps on thick plate. with thick plate better to use 5/32 6013 at 160 amps then you easily get penetration. you get usually not very good welds on thick plate with 1/16 or 5/64 rod
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 02-09-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    the reason they do not make small rod in many types is smaller rods will not weld heavy thick plate without lack of penetration problems. literally you need a minimum rod size with thick plate to get a high quality bead. sure 5/64 is ok for sheetmetal
    Most likely not the reason. And if you only have an 80 amp welder you should stay at least 50ft away from thick plate, or buy a welder will balls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jase90 View Post
    Most likely not the reason. And if you only have an 80 amp welder you should stay at least 50ft away from thick plate, or buy a welder will balls.
    i currently have 5 welders. but there are times the brick size 120 volt inverter which is so tiny is very convenient. not many welders you can pick up one handed like a soft ball. of course it is a toy but there are times when it is very convenient. you literally can attach it to your belt if i wanted too.
    if they make a even smaller welder the size of a pack of cigarettes i will buy that too. if they make a welder so small it is built in to the electrode holder i will get that too.
    i buy and sell welders all the time. i rarely have one around over 10 years. that is i have a few 30 year old welding machines but am always looking for better ones to replace them with.

Post Thanks / Like

reason small 1/16 and 5/64 rod sizes are in small packages is once you try a few you quickly realize they are not the best size for all welding.
    5/64 is basically 2mm actually might be easier to find that size made in other countries under 2mm size

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the comments. It does seem odd to me that I can buy e7018 in 1/16 but not in 5/64. I searched using the 2mm idea, but no success.

I basically do everything with e7014 anyway. I have no liking for e6013 or any 1/16 rod .

Guess this means I have a little less fun.

9. Dislikes Hobbytime disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    I appreciate all the comments. It does seem odd to me that I can buy e7018 in 1/16 but not in 5/64. I searched using the 2mm idea, but no success.

I basically do everything with e7014 anyway. I have no liking for e6013 or any 1/16 rod .

Guess this means I have a little less fun.
    Lincoln is only one i know that makes 5/64 6013 rod. in my experience smaller than 3/32 7018 and 6011 does not weld all that good. plus the smaller sizes are expensive
    most people just use TIG for thin metal

Post Thanks / Like

If my book from Wilhelmsen is any indication, European rods are only made in metric equivalents of US sizes, and not "whole numbers" of millimeters like you'd expect.
    Currently working as a Paralegal, but still interested in hobby welding.

Miller Bobcat 225nt

One- Character Fractions: ¼ ½ ¾ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
    If my book from Wilhelmsen is any indication, European rods are only made in metric equivalents of US sizes, and not "whole numbers" of millimeters like you'd expect.
    in China a lot of stuff is made metric and they really do not care what the rest of the world does. trouble is what is seen in a store in China is hard to find on the internet searching with English words
    Shiyong Wujin Shouce is roughly Standard hardware handbook it is a universal catalog and description of stuff found in hardware stores in China. book is very common in Chinese book stores and often only $5. but try to find book searching internet in English.
    in China if you have book easy to go to store and point to item on page and ask do you have? without book even 2 Chinese speakers often cannot communicate a simple thing like a air blowoff nozzle as it can go by different names. same with welding rod. you assume everybody calls welding rod by AWS number like E6013....... many countries welding rod has no AWS number on it as they use a different name number system.
    same with steel types. Chinese steel is not using a USA steel naming system they have their own name/numbers for steel types. usually it is a GB number or the standard begins with GB. they are just as likely to have equivalent Russian, Japanese or German number on it not just USA number
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WNY_TomB; 02-10-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

German ? 7018 or ISO equivalent in 2 mm
    https://www.ewm-sales.com/product/vi...ngeLanguage=38
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Our electrodes in Australia are sold as metric sizes, generally 2.5 and 3.2mm are the most commonly available sizes. There are 2.0mm rods available, but hardly anyone uses them. Our standard power supply is 240 volt and 10 amp. Which most low end welders can burn 2.5mm rods with. We need to go up to a 15amp supply to burn 3.2's well.

page from my local tool shop. They ship to the US for you, dont think it would be cheap though!

Name:  rods.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  54.2 KB
    Last edited by jackdawg; 02-10-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackdawg View Post
    Our electrodes in Australia are sold as metric sizes, generally 2.5 and 3.2mm are the most commonly available sizes. There are 2.0mm rods available, but hardly anyone uses them. Our standard power supply is 240 volt and 10 amp. Which most low end welders can burn 2.5mm rods with. We need to go up to a 15amp supply to burn 3.2's well.

page from my local tool shop. They ship to the US for you, dont think it would be cheap though!

Name:  rods.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  54.2 KB
    my point being not every country calls welding rod by same name like E7018.
    if you have a welding rod cross reference chart with different countries names for the same types of welding rod i would be interested in it. many countries never see USA brands of welding stuff ever. it is a big world and many countries prefer welding rod made to their own countries standards. some charts just say cellulose rod (6010 DC /6011 AC or DC), rutile rod (6012/6013/7014/7024) and low hydrogen rod (7016/7018/7028)
    at the very least there is standards of USA, Germany, British, Japanese, French, China, Russia. i have seen British books on welding and seen what to me is unknown names for welding rods. just means i am small town boy that dont get out much

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist