Thread: Help with mig welder (or operator!)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with mig welder (or operator!)

I'm a newby, trying to learn basic MIG/FCAW for home/hobby purposes. Read the manual, watched some videos. Man, this is more difficult than I thought!! In any event, I'm having some problems and I wanted to ask if they were operator error or a machine issue.

I'm using a Hobart 140 (latest model with 5 taps) and Lincoln flux core 0.30 wire. I'm welding 3/16 steel using the settings recommended on the door. However, during welding the arc seems to stall for a fraction of a second periodically (somewhat regularly, like an out-of-sync sputter). The wire is NOT bottoming out in the pool. While this is happening, I can hear the wire drive speed fluctuating. I think that the wire speed fluctuation is causing a loss of arc when it slows down. You can practically see the arc moving back and forth between the work and the tip with the wire speed oscillation. HOWEVER, if I go to a short stick-out (3/16" or less) the issue improves noticeably (and the sound of the wire drive smooths out, too).

I've checked the drive roller tension, and I can easily curl the wire against a wood block as illustrated in the manual. While doing so the wire speed is nice and smooth, without variation.

Any suggestions? Is it me or the machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beuford
    Last edited by Beuford; 02-27-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist