+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eyes get blurry

Post Thanks / Like

Eyes get blurry

30 year old welder. I have a Miller Digital Elite. I usually go shade 10 for stick and 11 for tig. Seems like no matter what I weld. At the end of the day I always seem to get a bit hazy in the view department. Noticing the left side of my auto lense is lighter then the middle. Wondering if that is a cause. It's 4 years old and has new battery's.

Anyone recommend a 2x4 auto drop in? I had an arc one in 10 and I felt like the shade was not even through out. Top was darker then bottom. Kinda annoyed because it's what stops me from welding at work. Anyone with a miller have this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Maxstar 140str
    Longevity 140 mig
    Snapon Muscle Mig/tig
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eyes get blurry

I'd be willing to bet that your eyes are just drying out, try putting in some rewetting drops (not Visine) occasionally and see if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Dry eyes could definitely do it, but it could be from eye fatigue. It's kind of tough finding a happy medium for your eyes when you are using them intensely, because looking at too much light can cause it, or straining to see in dim light can too. I have a Speedglas 9100xx that fell off a scaffold and cracked the lens at work, and tried using it for a little bit, and it actually still darkened, but when it wasn't darkened the liquid crystal was randomly black in the different shattered pieces and it really bugged the hell out of me. I ended up tacking a few pipes and gave up on it and borrowed a hood. I got the new version that just came out, the 9100xxi, and it is probably hands down the best autohood money can buy. It's ridiculously clear and you can see a lot more ambient light around the weld, which could help with fatigue. Also, it has a button on the outside to lock it into grinding mode, which I've found is extremely convenient. Definitely not cheap, but I found mine for $412 shipped, which is a lot better than retail.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Will have to look into it. Any recommendations on a drop in for my huntsman though. I like having one for work and one for home projects. A 2x4 insert I see Jackson, AreOne, Radnor

Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Maxstar 140str
    Longevity 140 mig
    Snapon Muscle Mig/tig
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Post Thanks / Like

they sell bifocal safety glasses to help see closer
    i started to need then when i was about 30

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    when is the last time you've had your eyes checked? if your vision is slowly going south, it could be "alright" in the morning but then when they get tired they go downhill fast... just to take all variables into consideration.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Synchrowave 250
    Lincoln WeldPack 180HD
    Propane torch

handyman's encylopedia collection of all types of tools
    Jack of all trades, ace of none...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah all of those, but also, how many hours do you think are on the lense, the old school ones were recommended to be replaced after a certain number of hours, cant see why the new ones wouldn't be similar, particularly if your seeing a gradient across it.

Post Thanks / Like

Went and bought a new Arcone s240 shade 10 for my huntsman. Gave my kid the Digital Elite to play with as a toy. Eyes feel way better.

Really hate to think how long I've been welding with a $$$$ hood that has had a bad lense for so long and was to stupid to realize.

Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Maxstar 140str
    Longevity 140 mig
    Snapon Muscle Mig/tig
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Huygens View Post
    when is the last time you've had your eyes checked? if your vision is slowly going south, it could be "alright" in the morning but then when they get tired they go downhill fast... just to take all variables into consideration.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Sorry Badfitup, I know you don't want to hear it.... but I agree with Dan and Tom.

I have a story about "a friend" who got glasses at 35 who NEVER had them before, he always had 20/15 vision until... He moved to a new house and they got Netflix streaming when they setup the new place. He was sitting on the couch and said to his wife, "That's dumb, they have black text on a grey background, it's hard to read the episode descriptions." His wife, and optician who works at a doctors office says, "HUH, I can see it just fine, I'm making you an appointment tomorrow." After getting the eye exam, the doc gave him a prescription and says, "You have a slight astigmatism." "WHAT THE WHAT? Since when??" The doc says, "You always had it since you were born." I, I mean my "friend" says why didn't I ever need glasses before? The doc says, "Well, do you really want me to tell you the truth or make you feel good? It's because you're older now and earlier your eyes were stronger and could just overcompensate by working harder to stretch your eye into a better shape to see so well." When his wife used a pair of adjustable lenses to show him what it would be like to wear the prescription he said, "WOW! I never even realized my eyes changed." Now that he's almost 39, he bought a cheater lens for his Digital Elite and LOVED it. He went to get a new pair of prescription safety glasses and my wife said I should try these new lenses that have a slight add power to the bottom of the lens. "You mean like a bifocal? I ain't wearing no bifocals!" She said "It's not really a bifocal because she would need an actual prescription specification from one of the docs to make the glasses to. It doesn't even have a line, it's really very slight, like adding +.5, it's new, just try it."

I love my new safeties, I MEAN MY FRIEND!!!! really loves HIS new safety glasses.

I also have a story about another friend who never had to get up in the middle of the night and visit the bathroom...or take a nap. Then he turned 30. He blames his slightly older friend he used to tease for cursing him saying, "Just wait till you're 30!"
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    Sorry Badfitup, I know you don't want to hear it.... but I agree with Dan and Tom.

I have a story about "a friend" who got glasses at 35 who NEVER had them before, he always had 20/15 vision until... He moved to a new house and they got Netflix streaming when they setup the new place. He was sitting on the couch and said to his wife, "That's dumb, they have black text on a grey background, it's hard to read the episode descriptions." His wife, and optician who works at a doctors office says, "HUH, I can see it just fine, I'm making you an appointment tomorrow." After getting the eye exam, the doc gave him a prescription and says, "You have a slight astigmatism." "WHAT THE WHAT? Since when??" The doc says, "You always had it since you were born." I, I mean my "friend" says why didn't I ever need glasses before? The doc says, "Well, do you really want me to tell you the truth or make you feel good? It's because you're older now and earlier your eyes were stronger and could just overcompensate by working harder to stretch your eye into a better shape to see so well." When his wife used a pair of adjustable lenses to show him what it would be like to wear the prescription he said, "WOW! I never even realized my eyes changed." Now that he's almost 39, he bought a cheater lens for his Digital Elite and LOVED it. He went to get a new pair of prescription safety glasses and my wife said I should try these new lenses that have a slight add power to the bottom of the lens. "You mean like a bifocal? I ain't wearing no bifocals!" She said "It's not really a bifocal because she would need an actual prescription specification from one of the docs to make the glasses to. It doesn't even have a line, it's really very slight, like adding +.5, it's new, just try it."

I love my new safeties, I MEAN MY FRIEND!!!! really loves HIS new safety glasses.

I also have a story about another friend who never had to get up in the middle of the night and visit the bathroom...or take a nap. Then he turned 30. He blames his slightly older friend he used to tease for cursing him saying, "Just wait till you're 30!"
    You. I mean your friends story just shot miller lite out of my I mean my friends nose.

Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Maxstar 140str
    Longevity 140 mig
    Snapon Muscle Mig/tig
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Post Thanks / Like

BadFitUp sorry about your friend's Miller Lite.

Can you explain better the vision problem you had? Was the blur continuous or just at the start?

I am using a Miller "Classic Series". My problem is the first (appx) one-second after darkening is blurry then it clears up. This is a real problem with the TIG.

And this ArcOne S240-10 shade unit, does it replace the whole shade-unit in a Miller Classic hood (for example)?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  eye drops.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  lincoln hood everything.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  68.3 KB

Get a better welding helmet. I had the same problem with a Miller auto dark helmet. It was a budget model and I was always getting flashed. I'm still getting used to the Viking. Try one out before buying.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't --noticed-- being flashed. And are you suggesting perhaps I --don't know-- I'm being flashed?

It's reasonable that the first instant, my vision is overwhelmed by the flash and recovering for the first 1-second. I've never noticed it when MIG welding, only notice it with TIG when I'm really busting my eyes at the weld, trying to pay super-attention to my start.

I will pay more attention to that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Akuhead View Post
    And this ArcOne S240-10 (Amazon) shade unit, does it replace the whole shade-unit in a Miller Classic hood (for example)?
    Can anybody answer this?
    Last edited by J_Akuhead; 01-19-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    Name:  eye drops.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  36.7 KB

Get a better welding helmet. I had the same problem with a Miller auto dark helmet. It was a budget model and I was always getting flashed. I'm still getting used to the Viking. Try one out before buying.
    I've been using that Systane Ultra eye ball lube for some time now. Good but spendy stuff. I'd been paying $10.47 for just 1 10ml bottle at WM.

Yesterday while in WM intending to pick up some more I compared it to the Equate brand and found they both have the exact same active ingredients. The Equate brand is only $9.97 for 2 15ml bottles. Considerable savings, especially if you use it on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Um, often the generic brands are packaged under contract in the same plant as the major brand. My neighbor was a delivery driver for a large potato chip company. He said when it was time for a run of the generic brand, they simply but a different roll of bags on the bagging machine. All else was exactly the same as the name brand chip.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist