+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If hf tools suck

Post Thanks / Like

If hf tools suck

then why do yall keep buying their tools
    custom 7x12 trailer with trailblazer 302 with suitcase extreme vs and aux powered 2050 plasma cutter with victor oxy/acetylene outfit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If hf tools suck

You have to access the value of each tool, some aren't worth the effort to even pick off the shelf, others are quite good value.
    Ferinstance:
    Boxes of 1 & 2in disposable bristle brushs are handy, but I wouldn't use em to actualy paint anything.

Drill presses where it is impossible to lock the table at 90deg to the quill are about as useful as a chocolate welding mask

90/45Deg welding magnets: pretty handy

C clamps that snap when you use anyone bigger than a 4yo school kid to tighten are pretty much useless outside of kindergarden.

Pittsburgh deep impact sockets: remarkably resiliant

Multi-color deep "chrome" sockets: make good paper weights

Anything they sell powered by electricity: prety much crap

Airtools: The air nozzles are ok, thats about it.

Those clamps for holding sheet metal for butt welding: Great, & at $10/8 a LOT cheaper than the absolutely identical things sold at $29/4 by Eastwood.

Canopies: about as much use as a napkin in a hurricane

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

You have to know what you're buying.

They sell Hobart welders. They sell Goodyear air hoses. These are top-quality products made in the USA, if that matters.

Some of their other products are still worth it, just for the sheer cheapness of replacing or keeping two on hand. Some of their stuff is just flat out as good as it needs to be. Some of their stuff is pure crap. Same with Snap-On...

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of thier air hose reels, their cheap band saws, several vice plier clamps, angle magnets, couple of 10" saw blades, auto darkening welding masks and thier cheap compact bender...so far, so good. I just bought thier 9" grinder for $44...no review yet, except that it took 34 days from order to doorstep...out-of-stock...but I am patient.

I have experienced the bad quality of their C-clamps, wire wheels, files and have heard horror stories about their compressor pumps.

If you know what you are getting and don't expect to get a $200 tool for $40, you will often be pleased.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Mill Drill and it's been working very well for some ten years now. It takes Bridgeport R-8 tooling and, with the addition of a Harbor Freight 6" milling vise, it's a jolly good tool.

With a few simple modifications, their large bead blast cabinet is not all that bad, either. I removed the single fluorescent bulb it had and replaced that with three 60 watt incandescents inside so I can see what I'm doing. I also got a Snap-on blast gun to replace the stock one. The original had ceramic tips and the Snap-on has Tungsten carbide tips that are extremely durable. I also added a tempered glass window with a clear plastic sheet inside that I change about once a year when it gets cloudy. It's a good tool, now. I use it with a Cyclone brand dust collector to keep the air clear around the shop.

I almost forgot, I have one of their combo grinder buffers wih an 8" grinding disc on one side and a large buffing wheel on the other. It runs at 3,450 rpm and compares favorably with much more expensive machines. They are $69.95 on sale from time to time.

I also have one of the tiny drill presses for my smaller work. It has 6 speeds and has done a great job for model railroading work. Can't beat it for $39.95.

Lots of their packaged goods like O-rings, grease fittings, roll pins, circlips, cotter pins and so forth are well worth having around, too.

I have lots of other American woodworking machines and two Lincoln welders and a gas welding rig. Harbor Freight isn't all that bad, though. Like the other posters say, you have to be choosy but some of their stuff is pretty good.
    Last edited by gnm109; 07-25-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

well said, buyer beware, ya get what ya pay for . oh and murrphy's law is always there..if unbrakeable---it will brake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702
    You have to know what you're buying.

They sell Hobart welders. They sell Goodyear air hoses. These are top-quality products made in the USA, if that matters.

Some of their other products are still worth it, just for the sheer cheapness of replacing or keeping two on hand. Some of their stuff is just flat out as good as it needs to be. Some of their stuff is pure crap. Same with Snap-On...
    what about Snap-On i have an almost full line of their tools never had a problem or heard somebody had a problem
    custom 7x12 trailer with trailblazer 302 with suitcase extreme vs and aux powered 2050 plasma cutter with victor oxy/acetylene outfit

Post Thanks / Like

HF has those 45/90deg magnetic welding thingiemagummers on sale now for $1.99 each instead of $7.99...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2guysandawelder
    what about Snap-On i have an almost full line of their tools never had a problem or heard somebody had a problem
    Their electric power tools such as grinders are junk. I got blown across a workshop because they used the casing as the ground.... & that was in the UK so it was 240v/13amp which gets your attention...

Post Thanks / Like

Snap-On welding/plasma machines are rebadged low-end old-technology machines with the worst customer-support ever.

Their hand tools made them famous.

Post Thanks / Like

Snap-On welding/plasma machines are rebadged low-end old-technology machines with the worst customer-support ever.
    Not to mention being twice the price of a Miller equivalent...

Post Thanks / Like

then why do yall keep buying their tools
    If you don't buy their tools, you can't say they suck.

Chicken or the egg thing.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm happy with what i have bought from harbor freight..

my 110 fluxcore "buzzbox" works everytime its needed..and its 6 yrs old now...

bought air ratchets and such that are a-ok..
    even got a pickup bed mount hydraulic hoist that i adapted to go in a reese hitch...for when i was doing firewood with a pickup truck...

i still have it and can put it together and take pics if you want..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRx61
    Their electric power tools such as grinders are junk. I got blown across a workshop because they used the casing as the ground.... & that was in the UK so it was 240v/13amp which gets your attention...
    well i use dewalt power tools i have a complete line of their hand tools

Post Thanks / Like

Their hand tools made them famous.
    oh and miller welders i buy the best i can afford

Post Thanks / Like

well i use dewalt power tools
    Me too, theres black & yellow stuff all over the place around here

Post Thanks / Like

Next time you set foot in a Snap-On truck, look around for the returns box. You'll see all kinds of split sockets, mangled wrenches, etc.

Most of my tools are Proto, as that's what my dad sold for many years. Proto is the preferred brand in most industrial plants I've been in (hundreds). They get torn up, too. My complaint with Proto, Snap-On, Mac, and the other high end tools (notice I didn't include Craftsman in the 'high end' category) is that they don't offer innovative tools as much as the cheapo manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question, but has anyone bought one of their stud welders? I have all kinds of tools from HF and have good results. But seem likes the electronics stuff might be a hit and miss. Any advice?
    Weld-Pak 100 Mig.
    New to welding and melting anything metal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRx61
    Drill presses where it is impossible to lock the table at 90deg to the quill are about as useful as a chocolate welding mask

Chocolate welding mask... now that's funny!!!
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmmmmmmm....Chocolate.....

What was the question?

Post Thanks / Like

The Snap on MIGs and Plasma cutters are junk IMO. My dad owns a body shop and was talked into replacing his old Solar MIG welder with a Snap on. He had it for about a year, I used it to make a bumper for my Jeep and It stoped welding. Snap on tech support came up to repair it a month later, there were about 6 capacitors linked together that were blown out. It worked fine for about another 6 months and the same thing happened again while restoring a MG Midget. The Older plasma cutters were just as bad. Couldnt hold an arc to save its pathetic existance. Thats just my experience with them. He now owns a Hobart 250 and is very happy with it for the past 4 years.

Drivesector

Post Thanks / Like

Zapster say's
    even got a pickup bed mount hydraulic hoist that i adapted to go in a reese hitch...for when i was doing firewood with a pickup truck...

i still have it and can put it together and take pics if you want..
    ZAP, I would like to see some pics of it

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I price out a job, hit Harbor Freight for some tools (wearing my mask with the big nose and glasses so nobody will recognise me!), and then toss them at the end of the job. I figure it as a billable expense. If I get a week out of the $19 grinder, then it was worth it. It's hard to toss a $100 Yellow and Black or Metabo after a week. Not to mention the stuff that "walks" off the site within that week. If the $19 grinder walks, no big deal, if the Metabo walks I would probably cry!

I bought several pairs of leather welding sleeves for about $3 a pair, we go thru them like water because they get filthy after a week, it's like buying a box of disposable rubber gloves, a billable expense!
    I weld just to keep my snow plows ready for next Winter!

Post Thanks / Like

You should buy the red and white grinders instead of the black and yellows, then you won't ever have to toss them at the end of the job. One Milwaukee grinder costs less than 5 Harbor Freights and when you factor in the cost of fuel to drive to the store, you could probably only buy 3-4 HF grinders for the price of a Milwaukee.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist