+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln AC/DC Stick Welder - Dead?

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln AC/DC Stick Welder - Dead?

I have a Lincoln model ACDC 225/125 welder which I use very seldom. Today I brought it out for the first time in a year to work on a trailer.

I was using Lincoln E6013 electrodes with the welder set on DC at 85 amps.
    I welded off and on for about 3 hours, welding for about 15 minutes then breaking for about 15 minutes. In between I would switch the welder off.

When on the welder has a smooth hum and you can hear the cooling fan running.

While doing the last weld that I was planning on doing today all of a sudden there was a loud flopping sound from within the welder. I no longer heard the fan, and the smooth hum instantly turned into a loud buzz, and before I could get to the unit to throw the switch it had shut down, I'm assuming because something inside had blown.

I pulled the power plug and have not attempted to restart the unit.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar or have any idea what might have happened?

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln AC/DC Stick Welder - Dead?

15 on and 15 off is way beyond the duty cycle for this machine.
    Should have left the machine on and let the fan cool it but the duty cycle was exceeded anyway so . . .
    Don't sound too good. Might be time to invest in a new one
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Post Thanks / Like

The fan running is what cools the welder,shutting the welder off will make the duty cycle go to almost nothing.
    If you were welding DC,you may have burnt the diodes out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure, but I thought afterward that me shutting the unit off in between might have something to do with the problem, that's why I mentioned it.

Assuming I did blow the diodes, does that mean the unit would likely still operate as an AC welder without issue?

I really don't want to damage it any more than it is in case it is fixable, but at the same time I'm short on cash so fixing it is something that's likely months down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

"flopping sound" and then the fan quit. That sounds to me like something mechanical.
    I'd try resolving that issue, and then see what else you find. It could just be a piece of cardboard for air routing that has fallen into the fan. Time to take the cover off.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    ESAB miniarc161lts
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know. I told my wife it sounded like a big bass was in there right before it quit.

I'll take a look inside over the weekend and post back what I find.

Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

If the diodes did go short,you should be able to unhook the shorted ones and use the welder on AC.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the fan motor came loose. Unplug the welder and remove the back panel.
    Disconnect the fan and see if it still welds in AC or DC. Getting into where the diodes are is not easy. A lot of these welder only lose the fan motor and the other common problem is the transformer connection to the Klixon (Black circuit breaker). Used for DC welding only.
    If you need to get to the diodes send me a private massage and I will give you the steps.
    Its not as easy as you might think.

Post Thanks / Like

First thing to do is read the owners manual,page 7 Duty cycle.The welder needs the fan running full time to cool the transformer.Sounds like the fan bracket came loose.Look at that.The 225 has a selector switch for ac or dc,.Overunning the 20%duty cycle may had shorted the diodes.Diodes generate a lot of heat.They need the cooling fan when not welding.When all else fails, read the instructions.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading the manual on my welder that is the same welder and it says that if you go over the cycle it may throw a safety switch . Witch will turn everything off . All you need to do is turn it off and wait for it to cool down and it will be OK and work .
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

With the fan running. Most Lincoln welders will reset in 6 to 10 minuets after being over heated. Over heat often and the welder may die.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I have the same welder, mine seems to be stuck on high amperage. Took it apart a wire appears to have been broken. My grandad passed away and he had taken it apart and fixed it once. I don't know if he left the end connection to be a spacer/washer. Can't find pictures of the inside to see if it needs to be attached or not. I have pictures if I can find out how to post them on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Reply to this thread. look at the tool bar at the top. the lower bar has the insert picture button. looks like a picture with black dots at the corners.
    Then jus follow the instructions. Try to keep the picture size smaller. JPG file type or convert it PDF. 3 to 5 mega pixel picture not 12 or larger.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist