+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting discs

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting discs

Figured that starting a new thread would be better than adding to the metabo disc scam. I have used the cubitron in a 4" size on a pneumatic cutoff, and didn't see any better life than most other brands. In the 6" size, I would say the slicer is about a 4 out 10. The best I have used has been Walter, with Norton Bluefire being a real close second. I generally get discs that are recommended for stainless, since I cut a fair amount of hardened materials. Most manufacturers have a few different grades in thier lineup, and price usually reflects useable life and speed of cut. A lot of it comes down to what your LWS gets the best pricing on. I have used a few of the box store offerings and can pretty much say they are overpriced junk in comparison to those mid and high grade discs from the LWS
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting discs

Honestly for the price, Harbor Freight 4 1/2" junk aren't that bad.

Now as far as brand name, I have found none better than Walter zip wheels as well.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thread and the experiences.

I agree the big box stuff is overpriced junk. They sell them one each to homeowner that needs to cut a few nails or whatever. LWS's deliver by the case to work crews and shops and usually only carry industrial favorites proven to offer best price/performance ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

So how many times would you change a Walter compared to a Dewalt .045 that's if you've used both. I'm assuming the .045 here, if not, correct me please
    Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rhodius-abrasives.com/en/products/ftk67/ I use these. My local vendor supplies them to me. Very satisfied with there performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an example, I cut 8-8' pieces of #4 re bar into 12" pieces using 4.5"-.45 dewalt cutoff discs, I changed discs 1 time & used about 1/2 the second disc.So roughly 1.5 discs. Could other discs do better? If so how much?
    Name:  1695121274055835.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  94.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    https://www.rhodius-abrasives.com/en/products/ftk67/ I use these. My local vendor supplies them to me. Very satisfied with there performance.
    Those are 0.0984252 as compared to .045 do they last longer or about the same due the the wider kerf?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine say .045. I couldn't find my exact wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Mine say .045. I couldn't find my exact wheel.
    Have you used the dewalt .045? I just would like to know how they compare.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used dewalt, in a pinch. Never tested them side by side. I never had any issues with dewalt cutoff wheels. Price deters me from purchasing dewalt. The rhodius are comparable to the slicers as I recall, I have not use slicers in a few yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt has 2 different .045 disks that I know of. Their standard ones and their XR ones. The XR ones seem to last longer though are more expensive.

I haven't used them in a while. Last year one of the stores had 20 packs of Avanti (?) disks at some stupid clearance price and I bought at least 3 packs. The disks don't last as long as the Dewalts seemed to, but at something like 25 cents a disk it didn't really matter. Cutting sheet stock eats just about every disk anyways.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xryan View Post
    Honestly for the price, Harbor Freight 4 1/2" junk aren't that bad.

Now as far as brand name, I have found none better than Walter zip wheels as well.
    X2
    For the price especially with a coupon, they are hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

To give an example. I recently replaced the rear section of frame on a semi. This is 100,000 pounds tensile steel, 10-3/4" tall 3.5" web's and 5/16" thick. I made 4 complete cuts, and still bad some cutting disc left. This was done with a 6" Norton Bluefire. For the price compared to performance and life , in my opinion, this is by far the best disc for the money. Thru my LWS, I get these for about 2$ a disc. The material, and user have a huge effect on life and speed of cut, so keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Picture of frame sectionName:  IMG_20160322_093420212.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  11.3 KB
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lstilts View Post
    Here's an example, I cut 8-8' pieces of #4 re bar into 12" pieces using 4.5"-.45 dewalt cutoff discs, I changed discs 1 time & used about 1/2 the second disc.So roughly 1.5 discs. Could other discs do better? If so how much?
    Name:  1695121274055835.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  94.8 KB
    Wouldn't these cuts been easier or faster with a abrasive saw ?? I like the chop saw for rebar stuff over the handheld cutoff wheel.
    The Walters are my favorite too !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Wouldn't these cuts been easier or faster with a abrasive saw ?? I like the chop saw for rebar stuff over the handheld cutoff wheel.
    The Walters are my favorite too !!
    I'm sure they would have, but I don't have one, I have thought about buying a dry cut saw & still might at some point, but so far can't justify it for the price vs the amount I would use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been overly impressed by any of the Dewalt cutoff wheels or grinding wheels, I've had great experiences with Sait wheels in everything from 3" up to 14" cutoff wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they would have, but I don't have one, I have thought about buying a dry cut saw & still might at some point, but so far can't justify it for the price vs the amount I would use it.
    Drycut saw would be the wrong choice for cutting rebar anyways. Rebar can have hard spots and you'll kill a blade if you hit one. The blades on those drycut saws cost way too much to gamble on something cheap like rebar.

You really don't even have to cut 100% thru rebar. If it's semi hard, you only need to cut say halfway thru and then try and bend it, and it usually snaps right at your bend. If you bend the main bar, you need to cut a bit deeper. We almost never cut 100% thru rebar unless using a shear or the abrasive chop saw.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

What's your location ? Check craigs list, I found a like new current model for a friend and got it for $100.00 with original blade. I would have bought it but have enough of them. I even saw a old Milwaukee like mine from 30 years ago for $50.00. This is made in Taiwan with the fixed vise, no quick adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

That Norton Blue Fire appears to provide very good cost return. I'm impressed with the results.

Yeah, we needed this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutoldwelder View Post
    That Norton Blue Fire appears to provide very good cost return. I'm impressed with the results.

Yeah, we needed this thread.
    They are a good value. WOW, PM me if you want to try one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    They are a good value. WOW, PM me if you want to try one out.
    if i give you my persoanl information and make charges on my credit card number, will you send me a FREE one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    if i give you my persoanl information and make charges on my credit card number, will you send me a FREE one?
    Sure, maybe acess to a Cayman island account wouldn't hurt either. Lol. I still can't figure why that outfit sent out 1 disc in place of a box that was ordered, and refunded the payment

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they make cutting discs too or not but I have been having great luck with the MAXX flap discs from enco. I have been ordering them 10-20 at a time when they have the 25% off and free shipping deals. The flappers come out to around $3.50 each with the deals. They hold up surprisingly well!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist