+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Try a Hypertherm?

Post Thanks / Like

Try a Hypertherm?

Does Hypertherm have a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee? I did not see anything on their website.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Hiding in a concrete mancave, Richmond, CA
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Try a Hypertherm?

Seriously doubt it. Besides, you wouldn't want to return it once you had it on hand and used it. I just purchased a PM85 less than 4 months ago and I refuse to return it. Unless it broke down under warranty and had to get fixed.

I just used mine a cpl days ago, set on gouging, to gouge out welds to knock off some spring hanger brackets. Took all of 10 to 15 minutes to knock out 4 brackets that were welded around all 4 sides.
    Scooter

Lincoln Weld-pak 155 - .030 Solid wire & 75/25 gas mix
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Hypertherm PM 85
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 38
    Gas ax with rose bud attachment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jawslandshark View Post
    Does Hypertherm have a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee? I did not see anything on their website.
    Problem with that one is people abuse that sort of thing.. Like the Esab deal. Get a machine use the piss out of it, and get all your money back 3 months later.. Someways just does not make sense to offer it to certain people.. Most people will have zero issues with the power max line.. I certainly don't, and there are improvements on the way too..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

No....we do not have a written 30 day satisfaction guarantee......though many of the distributors that are authorized to sell Hypertherm products have policies similar to that. If Hypertherm sold direct to end users...it could probably administer a program like that, however we only sell through trained, authorized distributors and OEM machine builders....so we leave that up to them and will co-operate with distributors as needed. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

My LWS sells Hypertherm so when I am in there next I will ask them if they have a 65 in stock and if they would be willing to do this. I might wait though if improvements are coming? Thanks for the replies.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

Most LWS will set you up to demo at their store or even on site for a business. Be it a HT or a welder. if they dont't have something available, see if they or Jim can put you in touch with the HT rep. to get a demo.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

There are no changes in the works for a Powermax65. There may be new consumables available eventually....however they will fit all Powermax65's (and 85's and 105's).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

My LWS sells Hypertherm so when I am in there next I will ask them if they have a 65 in stock and if they would be willing to do this. I might wait though if improvements are coming? Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

My local hypertherm rep came by and demoed the 45 for me. And then he left it with me for a week.
    And a month or two later I bought one.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

The consumables was what was talking about.. Been talk about some lower amp nozzles coming out for a while now. I think it will enhance the cnc cutting for some of us.. I was going to wait for the improved 45 machine, but figured the upgrades will hit the 65 consumables too. I am just not a huge fan of the fine cuts, and would rather have un-shielded/shielded low amp standard nozzles available.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

This would be going on my plasma table and replacing my CM52.

I am looking for an improvement in cut quality that's why I asked about the 30 day satisfaction from Hypertherm. As Gamble has mentioned If a rep will drop one by and let me use it for a week then that would work also. I would pay for all the consumables just want to make sure if I drop $3k on another box it proves worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for an improvement in cut quality that's why I asked about the 30 day satisfaction from Hypertherm. As Gamble has mentioned If a rep will drop one by and let me use it for a week then that would work also. I would pay for all the consumables just want to make sure if I drop $3k on another box it proves worthy.
    They don't just leave them for anyone . But maybe they can come demo it for you.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

That would have been great for the guy that leased my PM85 last week to do a one time job. He could have got one ,did the job said it wouldn't do what he need and returned it for a full refund.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will like the 65 better..Most people do.. Smart in seeing the differences for yourself.. Best way to go..IMO.. On your own table is always a good idea..

I still can post up some differences when my Cutmaster arrives tomorrow. Need to see if I can get the SL-100SV to interface with CandCnc card I have.. Looks like it will, just not sure on the 12 volt valve on the torch. Everything is there on the pins,only need to test to be sure.. I have some 30 amp,40 amp,50/55,60 amp tips, and shielded down to 40 amps..Probably will go to the Steel yard and pick up some thicker metal too..

This is just going to be my hand machine, and back up cnc unit. I have tons of SL-40 parts, and the torch.The SL-60 torch comes with it,plus have the SL-100 SV machine torch.. Make sense to keep a cutmaster around, because I love the e-bays deals on factory consumables..
    Best machine for that one.. They dry up, and show up all at once.. There is so many one torches out there, consumable deals are plenty. Unmatched buy any other system. (IMO) Ten fold too.

The thing about Hypertherm (Miller too) You will never really take a beating on one when/if you sell it.. Same with a 52 if bought at $1325.00
    Pisses me off I missed the $100.00 rebate on them or the free 85s.. Don't have to buy the CNC Interface for $180 helps though...(hopefully)
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Contact your local Hypertherm dealer and ask if you can test drive one on your machine....though most don't stock mechanized units (machine torch and CPC port options). You can suggest that they get the regional Hypertherm rep involved....depending on his schedule and proximity to your shop that could possibly be arranged. Generally you can use a unit for a day or so to determine if it's capability fits your need. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

You can think about it, and worry over it all you like, but so long as you are buying a machine that states it cuts the thickness you like, a Hypertherm is a damn fine machine and you won't be disappointed. I went from a Powermax 600 that was 15 years old and still cut very well, to a Powermax 65 and I was really impressed with the speed and improvement in cut quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you looking to improve your cuts? What table/thc control software do you run? I just got done hooking up a Victor 52 to my table.. It's quite surprising just how nice it cuts compared to other machine..If you understand what the thing is telling you.. I like them both very well.. You will see a drop in dross in general, with the newer torch design on the Hypertherm.. wider sweet spot, but the Thermal sure does have one too..

I found out I could set up my Candcnc stuff for the $50.00 voltage card..(had it already.) Now I can swap back, and forth, only changing the voltage setting from 7-1 to 50-1 on the little box.. The Victor has contactor pins on the J-10 , also arc good if you need it.. Faston connectors for full arc voltage too.. I use the digital inductance probe, instead of the factory Arc good.. I have it, and wanted to wire it up tonight. Correct 8 pin to run all the thermal stuff shows up tomorrow, but don't need it now. Glad I did not have to dump $180 on the 14 pin interface. Does nothing for me now. I am super happy adding the cutmaster for all the versatility I get with it.. I guess it's my backup.. Having both is the best of both worlds. Just testing it a bit, and man it cuts .500 nice with the 50-55 amp consumables.. I was kind of kicking myself for selling my A-120, but this takes the sting out of it.. Not that I miss all the power for what I do, but more in missing the torch options I had with it.. Cheap consumables too. Mine last very well. (clean/dry air.)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-15-2016 at 02:21 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

More options.. Since I had all this extra stuff. it made sense to pick up a cutmaster for $1325.00 It's really a steal, if you have some of the options for it.. I can take this one in my truck, and it will be protected better, and is also lighter then the 65.. Really don't want to throw a high dollar machine around anyway..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-15-2016 at 02:36 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand the idea of test driving one but after years of using other brands and years of reading post regarding the quality I bought a pm85 having never used one. Just reading the posts that Jim Colt has to offer was all I really needed. The guy knows his stuff. My only complaint is a personal one and that is that I don't own a second one yet. Really need another just to keep in the truck. People that see me run that machine are blown away. I don't run as clean of air through it as I probably should and even still the comsumable life is around 7-10x better than any other machine I've ever used. I do a lot of heavy plate and repair work so I would say it spends 75% of its run time at 65 amp or higher. Hope someone will set you up with a demo run but I can tell you firsthand you won't be disappointed. Another thing to add is that with the times be live in its nice to buy a product of such quality that supports US workers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbchp355 View Post
    I can understand the idea of test driving one but after years of using other brands and years of reading post regarding the quality
    The Hypertherm is a very good machine. no doubt.. Now to really understand the differences that matter to you,then you need to try out other machines side by side.. Opened my eyes.. If I had my way, I would also have a Esab 1600 sitting by my Powermax 65, and Victor Cutmaster 52. Best of all worlds that way.. I figure thicker Mild steel will get my Smith machine torch, for perfect cuts every last time.. Another great option to add, and explore some of the things they bring to the table.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist