+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jasic vs Hypertherm quality and value

Post Thanks / Like

Jasic vs Hypertherm quality and value

Hi guys I am relitavely new to the fabrication scene and looking at getting started out, I am a student so money is pretty tight although id rather buy quality, I couldn't help but notice that a jasic 45 amp machine is considerably cheaper than a hypertherm 30 amp unit ( either of the two 30 amp machines) has anyone got any advice please 💥

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jasic vs Hypertherm quality and value

See this thread, http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=600701
    Razorweld is Jasic brand

There is a whole Hypertherm forum you can read too.
    This thread may be of interest as well http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=7130331

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 04-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, as a NEW member , young, and very little to spend ,I'll be gentle. '' CHEAPER '' and quality do not go hand in hand. You have many years ahead of you to use what you invest in. IF you do a search the '' Hypertherm '' is your best quality, made in USA, and your long term bet in my opinion. It's a proven machine, used by many here , and a Professional go to unit. SAVE longer and you'll be happier. If you decide to go cheap, the only advantage is you'll be able to keep buying different machines as they die.

Post Thanks / Like

Bd didn't mention that if you later want to upgrade, you'll get a lot better return from a quality brand like Hypertherm than you will an inexpensive import brand. Good machines hold their value. In general import machines overall can have a track record of poor quality control and limited life spans. People are often wary of buying one of them used, only to find out too late they have bought a machine that someone was starting to have issues with and decided to dump while it still was working and get at least something out of a dieing machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone is trying to stir the pot
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks guys help much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    I think someone is trying to stir the pot
    Doubt it,
    Good question in, is a Jasic for $609.00 worth it compared to a $1,200 dollar machine? I would say maybe.. If the Jasic stays working, you would probably loose about the same amount of money when you sold them in three years.. If you only run on 240 volt input, then maybe the Jasic might be all someone might need to get started.. Nobody really knows much about the reliability of the Jasic 45. won't for a while either..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't say hypertherm its junk.

It will cost you $1,800 to do it the hard way.
    The hard way: Buy the cheap junk, it frys then you buy the hypertherm.
    The easy way: Buy the hypertherm, once.
    Why roll the dice with $600?

These cheap 40 amps machines are a curse to the consumer plasma cutter market.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

I just went thru this. I ended up buying a used hypertherm 600. I was having a hard time justifying the price of the used 600 when I could get a new machine with warranty for less. I am glad I bought the hypertherm. It is a great machine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wish it was a dual voltage but for $600 I would love to have this on my cnc table as a back up in case my hypertherm ever dies
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mad welder 4 View Post

I will make this statement, If it says Hypertherm it's junk. Makes just as much sense as your proclamation. .
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

For an opinion of a longtime Hyperthermia owner, see this thread: http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...81#post7016381

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mad welder 4 View Post

It will cost you $1,800 to do it the hard way.
    The hard way: Buy the cheap junk, it frys then you buy the hypertherm.
    The easy way: Buy the hypertherm, once.
    Why roll the dice with $600?

These cheap 40 amps machines are a curse to the consumer plasma cutter market.
    Posts like these just make me wonder if people actually think they know it all, along with everyone's budget and needs.....all I can say is, WOW!
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

But in many ways what he said is true. This site is filled with posts of people who couldn't afford to buy quality gear to start with, but can find the money to buy it all over again when the cheap stuff fails. I'll admit when I 1st started out almost 30 years ago I fell into that same trap and got burned when the machine broke and there was no one around to fix it despite what I'd been told.

Many of us understand that many don't have a lot of funds to spend, that's it's only a hobby and it will only get used occasionally. However a number of these inexpensive machines are directly marketed towards people who don't know enough to ask the right questions and simply buy the salesman's slick sales talk and put money 1st over all else. Many of these importers of inexpensive machines have a long history of bad units repeatedly shipped to customers, poor customer service, as well as trying to hide and cover up problems and issues and many other questionable at best business tactics like having sales people post up as customers to talk up the products.

Many times new guys are cautioned to do their homework and understand that you get what you pay for and that these units are "disposable" when they fail. They seldom seem to bother to do this. When the units do fail, they come back all mad because everything they were told was true, but they didn't believe anyone. At this point they usually go out and buy the machine they probably should have to start with.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my take on it.
    Hypertherms are great, no question about it, but they are expensive. Sure you get what you pay for. Quality, great product, greaty company, good consumable life. And yes it's "cheaper" to buy a hypertherm over the long term but as stated most people are justy hobbyist and don't use the machine that often. I can tell you that I had the longevity 42i and 62i on my cnc table. Some days it burned through consumables twice a day and some days I couldn't remember the last time I changed them out. Same goes with the hypertherm stuff. Got my days where consumable like is noticeably longer and other days where it's not.
    However I will say that in my opinion it's not really any cheaper. For a hyperthem electrode and nozzle I think I paid like $11 for the pair. For the s45 it may have been $7 or $8 for the pair of a good brand. So the $3-$4 saving each set of consumables to add up to a $1200 price difference? Come on guys. Even on my cnc I don't think I've spent a difference of $100 in consumables.
    My dad is a hobbyist. I bought him a plasma cutter. It probably gets used 3 times a year. Why would I waste money on a hyperthem when a $300-400 unit does him well.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my hypertherm. But if it died tomorrow not sure i would go drop $1800 on a new one. If you are running a cnc table all day long every day. Go hypertherm, no question. For the very occasional use and hand cuttting under 1/2" I would go something else and save myself $1200
    Look how many people have the harbor freight plasma for $600 and love it. Not everyone NEEDS a hypertherm. Yes of course there is a cut quality difference, but is that little bit of dross or that edge enough to make you spend $1200 more?
    I guess it's all going to depend on what you use it for. Seriously I'm half tempted to buy the jasic and slap it on the cnc table to see how it performs
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm is known to be good. I got one that had problems right out of the box. Got it fixed under warranty just took over two weeks. Then a year and a half later it dies on me. Again fixed under warranty and again over two weeks to get back. But it works and so far has been fixed for free under the warranty. Now my measly 2 year warranty is up and I worry every time I turn the switch on that this time might cost me a $900 board, or some other expensive electronic part.

It is the only machine I have ever bought brand new (besides a miller stick welder years ago) and it is the only machine I have ever had a problem with. But everyone assures me it is a good machine and will be ok now after the bugs have been worked out.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

As I have said a few hundred times.....if you need a plasma cutter and purchase price is the most important criteria....then shop around for the lowest price...there are a lot of choices. The other possibility is the used market.....there are a lot of used Hypertherm, T-D and Esab units out there....good factory support, parts availability, etc.

Consumable life is a huge factor if you use the system properly...and use it often. A Plasma with excellent consumable life but higher purchase price....will have a lower cost over time....trust me. If you use the plasma once a week for a 10" cut.....then buy the cheapest, get the lowest priced consumables and you may be better off from a total cost point of view.

The thing I run into every day.....are those users that "tried out" a plasma for the first time....and either used a 20 year old one or they used a low cost import. Often they decide that the plasma is not what they expected....and then don't buy one based on that experience. My advice.....try out one of the latest technology major brand units (I, of course suggest trying a Hypertherm), then go cut with a low cost one. Plasma cutters are not a commodity....there are huge differences in ease of use, safety, documentation, factory support, consumable life, reliability (yes, the good ones can break....but on a much lower frequency than the low cost imports).

Specifications. There are many 40 to 50 amp plasma cutters that can only cut as fast and thick as a major brand 30 amp unit. Amperage is not the total answer to thicker / faster cutting. It is a relation ship of Amperage x the rated Load Voltage......which equals wattage (or Kilowatts). As an example when you read the specs on the 45 amp Jasic unit...the load voltage is rated at 96 volts. 45 (amps) x 96 (volts) = 4320 watts. The Powermax45, 132 volts x 45 amps = 5940 watts. Big difference in power....in fact the Jasic is closer to the Powermax30XP in wattage output than it is to the Powermax45. Duty Cycle. Important when cutting thicker materials or in warm climates. Jasic is rated at 30% duty cycle when cutting at 45 amps/96 load volts. Powermax45 is 50% duty cycle when cutting at 45 amps/132 load volts. Big difference. Torch design makes a huge difference as well, the plasma cutters that work best have the torch and power supply designed together in one factory...so the torch specs are complemented by the power supply specs. The import systems all seem to build power supplies in one location...then get torches from a variety of torch producers, often based on the lowest cost.

Powermax45 has an (approx.) 70 page operators manual.....with multiple pages of mechanized cut charts and details about consumables usage, inspection and optimization. The manual has many pages of detailed cut quality advice as well as maintenance, troubleshooting and parts lists. It has a toll free number to call the factory tech support, as well as email addresses for tech support as well. The 45 has a machine interface port and instructions in the manual for connecting to a variety of machines (pipe cutters, track burners, cnc machines, robots, etc., and an available machine torch and specialized consumables for machine cutting. There are extended length HyAccess consumables, gouging consumables, etc. available in about 2500 welding supply stores in the U.S. Also.....the Powermax units are built in NH, USA by employees that own 100% of the company....if that is of any concern!

Hopefully this helps the OP to understand some of the differences. If shopping for a new plasma and purchase price is the deciding factor....then I'm sure you won't be getting a Hypertherm!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Last edited by jimcolt; 04-19-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Crikey, I actually agree with you mate.
    Wonders will never cease......
    I had a long rebuttal, but then I read your post..
    Last edited by Brand X; 04-19-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of "experts" on the internet. I monitor over a dozen sites.....and I see users that bought their first cnc plasma system just a month or so ago.....offering advice to others that is completely off track. The bad thing is that those asking for advice tend to believe much of what anyone posts.......if you read it online, it must be true. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I had a long rebuttal, but then I read your post..

Post Thanks / Like

I understand people like to offer advice.. Just that sometimes like you say, people really don't know what is out there in the real world.. I just think it's a big world, and there some good options other then Hypertherm, Victor, and Esab. Finding what ones is a lot of luck, and sometimes a bit of looking outside the box. The Jasic might be one of those machines. I know that Italy does a nice job with their cutters.Problem is they cost about as much as a major brand..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    There are a lot of "experts" on the internet. I monitor over a dozen sites.....and I see users that bought their first cnc plasma system just a month or so ago.....offering advice to others that is completely off track. The bad thing is that those asking for advice tend to believe much of what anyone posts.......if you read it online, it must be true. Jim Colt
    Kind of like the people with 1 week welding experience are on here offering advice
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced that if all plasma cutters had the same level of features, the same level of reliability, the same level of support, and the same duty cycle, cut speed, thickness, etc., then the price would all be the same. Take anything away from that list....and it can be cheaper. The nice thing about the Plasma cutter offerings today is that you can buy pretty much what you want and need. The difficulty though is in knowing what the true capabilities are with each system....rather, we have to rely on brochures, word of mouth and internet expertise! The pics of the Jasic unit look nice.....looks like more advanced wiring, components and PC boards as compared to most other low cost imports, which is promising. I suspect it is probably close to the Cutmaster 42 in cutting ability (wattage, cut speed, thickness) and I also suspect that when demand rises for the unit that it will probably be similarly priced to the CM42. Just my thoughts......if it is really a decent system with good support and reliability....then I suspect the manufacturer will price it competitively. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I understand people like to offer advice.. Just that sometimes like you say, people really don't know what is out there in the real world.. I just think it's a big world, and there some good options other then Hypertherm, Victor, and Esab. Finding what ones is a lot of luck, and sometimes a bit of looking outside the box. The Jasic might be one of those machines. I know that Italy does a nice job with their cutters.Problem is they cost about as much as a major brand..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Kind of like the people with 1 week welding experience are on here offering advice
    Hey! Carl's up to two weeks of experience as a hobby welder. Or is it three now? I forget, it's been too long.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm - more expensive to purchase
    - lower consumables cost due to longer life
    - machine probably lasts longer
    - factory and local dealer parts and service availability
    - excellent reputation
    - Jim Colt's tech support on this forum

Cheap PC - less expensive to purchase
    - higher consumable cost due to shorter life
    - machine probably fails sooner
    - questionable parts and service availability
    - questionable reputation
    - tech support?

You decide
    Last edited by norite; 04-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Hey! Carl's up to two weeks of experience as a hobby welder. Or is it three now? I forget, it's been too long.
    Hey Doug, is that including today ???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist