+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new/used bouncing baby buzzbox.... a few questions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new/used bouncing baby buzzbox.... a few questions

LOL! Yes, if Hubby comes up he'll dominate the conversation and You'll never get anything done! Weekend of the 26th I think is my scheduled work weekend at my real job. If you could get the boys to throw the Lincoln in the trunk, I can take the covers off and look inside while you are welding. Don't worry I can "yell" at you and work at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like

BD1> "Getting the rod '' STUCK '' is USEFUL. Many times small parts or pieces are hard to hold to tack. Easy way is to get the rod STUCK, to the piece , open holder, and then use the rod to hold. See you were practicing for when you need to do this." That's it.... that's exactly what I was doing... practicing to tack small parts and pieces.
    --
    drujinin> Ha ha ha!!! What conversation.... me and the chicken>>>? When we're at your house together.... the TWO of you wander off. You're both there one minute... then ***poof***, gone the next looking at big boy toys, tools, and projects.
    --
    "Don't worry I can "yell" at you and work at the same time!" Must be a "guy" thing. My neighbor and husband do the same!!!
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered how to run the "perfect" bead-
    --

MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

UH?
    We won't try that.
    Unless of course the video starts out with; "Here, Hold my Beer!"
    HA! Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's welding while holding a beer...

"USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone happen to know if Messer 80T-AC Plus rod is substantially equivalent to Castolin EutecTrode 680 rod?
    --
    drujinin> how's Saturday the 18th looking for you? The 7014 rod came in. I have 10 pounds of it to play with.
    --
    Notsooldordum> only you would be able to pull a video like that out of thin air!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Equilibrium> only you would type out long classical allusions on a welding website (you and your six blind men of Hindustan, really!!!).

Post Thanks / Like

Substantially equivalent is University lingo for almost the same.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Bernard Cooler
    Lincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

old jupiter> You're one of the people I find to be a breath of fresh air so I'll let you in on a secret.... I cheat... I cheat big time. Cut and Paste in that situation but more often than not.... talk to text.
    --
    gnm109> You don't per chance know the answer to my question do you>>>?
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    old jupiter> You're one of the people I find to be a breath of fresh air so I'll let you in on a secret.... I cheat... I cheat big time. Cut and Paste in that situation but more often than not.... talk to text.
    --
    gnm109> You don't per chance know the answer to my question do you>>>?
    No, sorry. Those rods are rather unusual.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Bernard Cooler
    Lincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

That's okay. I was offered 2 pounds of EutecTrode 680 to "play" with from my LWS because it was supposedly a lot like 80T-AC Plus which they don't carry. I didn't take it and am now having 2nd thoughts. At the time, I figured it was a sample he'd been sent to pass out that would be better used by someone other than a hobbyist.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

EQ, have you priced EutecTrode 680?
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my very conservative advice. Stick to commonly available, industry standard electrodes. Then if you ever really need to weld something that's not art, you will be all set.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

18th looks good to me.
    EutecTrode 680 - next time the LWS offer you samples, GRAB THEM! There are other people you know who can try them for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium
    old jupiter> You're one of the people I find to be a breath of fresh air . . .
    Nice! Everybody else says it's nothing but hot air.

Post Thanks / Like

Notsooldordum> I was told it was more that twice the price of name brand rods which was yet another reason I decided to pass on the offer. I know myself. I'd never buy a consumable that was twice the price of a consumable I can make do with.
    --
    Sedanman> I actually weld more that isn't art than that which is. Art isn't my preference.... never has been.... artsy "stuff" is what my family and friends want so I hear you on choosing standardized rod even though I'm a long way from being able to fabricate (music to jaws plays).... a road worthy trailer.
    --
    drujinin> 18th it is!!!
    --
    American Gasses Corp in Gurnee IL gave me 5 lbs of some sort of specialty rod last year to either keep myself or give to my welding teacher. I told them I'd be giving it to my neighbor. They were fine with that as long as he gave them a jingle and shared what he thought about the rod with them which.... he did. They gave me some free cutting wheels for my grinder which I offered to my neighbor but he told me to keep them because I'd use them. They've offered me all kinds of "goodies" however to date... have only accepted the rod for my teacher and the cutting wheels. I think they do it because I'm one of only a few hobbyists they've got shopping there on a regular basis. They're good honorable people, http://www.americangases.com/. They've always been helpful to me and even talk me out of buying some of their products just because of where I'm at with my welding.
    --
    Next time they offer me specialty rod, it's yours. You'll probably be asked to give them a jingle to let them know what you think of it though.
    --
    old jupiter> Back in 2014, you caught my attention with one of your alleged "hot air" posts... loved it!!! Recently, I went to reply to a thread and found when clicking on "go advanced" that you'd just posted something in lock step with what I'd composed... I deleted my post.... no sense double posting.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

EQ, The run of the mill standard electrodes are also generally a LOT cheaper than the whiz-bang wonder rods. We have stuff here at works that is marked as all pisition, all polarity, smooth running and capable of welding dissimilar metals. It definately has stainless in the rod and has heavy flux that produces an easy to remove slag. I checked on the price. A 10 pound box is $347!
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Notsooldordum> I was told it was more that twice the price of name brand rods which was yet another reason I decided to pass on the offer. I know myself. I'd never buy a consumable that was twice the price of a consumable I can make do with.
    --
    Sedanman> I actually weld more that isn't art than that which is. Art isn't my preference.... never has been.... artsy "stuff" is what my family and friends want so I hear you on choosing standardized rod even though I'm a long way from being able to fabricate (music to jaws plays).... a road worthy trailer.
    --
    drujinin> 18th it is!!!
    --
    American Gasses Corp in Gurnee IL gave me 5 lbs of some sort of specialty rod last year to either keep myself or give to my welding teacher. I told them I'd be giving it to my neighbor. They were fine with that as long as he gave them a jingle and shared what he thought about the rod with them which.... he did. They gave me some free cutting wheels for my grinder which I offered to my neighbor but he told me to keep them because I'd use them. They've offered me all kinds of "goodies" however to date... have only accepted the rod for my teacher and the cutting wheels. I think they do it because I'm one of only a few hobbyists they've got shopping there on a regular basis. They're good honorable people, http://www.americangases.com/. They've always been helpful to me and even talk me out of buying some of their products just because of where I'm at with my welding.
    --
    Next time they offer me specialty rod, it's yours. You'll probably be asked to give them a jingle to let them know what you think of it though.
    --
    old jupiter> Back in 2014, you caught my attention with one of your alleged "hot air" posts... loved it!!! Recently, I went to reply to a thread and found when clicking on "go advanced" that you'd just posted something in lock step with what I'd composed... I deleted my post.... no sense double posting.
    I get various rolls of wire, cutting and grinding wheels, plus other odds and ends to try out by the lws. They just want feedback as to my thoughts on the product. I think more than anything that they are looking for an honest opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

"A 10 pound box is $347!" OMG... quick fast.... PASS ME A defibrillator....
    --
    M J D> "I think more than anything that they are looking for an honest opinion." I think you're right. Especially when they share with people like you and others who teach or weld professionally for a living. No sense spending $$$ on inventory stocking shelves with new products few professional would buy. But an entry level weldor like me>>>? My opinion wouldn't be worth anything to a welding supply that deals mostly with large commercial accounts. I think my LWS shares products with the little guys for the sake of giving us something to "work" with that we couldn't otherwise afford. Mostly likely for the sake of good will in the community since it's doubtful any hobbyist would be a center of influence.
    --
    On an aside, the owner told me that if I couldn't weld with the rod I bought from him... to come back because he'd give me a 5 pound sample of some rod that he'd guarantee I'd be able to use. I went back and showed him my practice runs. He said they looked pretty good and that I obviously didn't need the cheater rods after all. I don't know that he ever said what the "cheater" rods were or if he did... I didn't recognize it as a brand of rod.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and learn to use 6010 or 6011. It will weld through dirt, rust and paint, it's forgiving, it penetrates deeply and it'll do 90% of what you want it to do. 1/8" is a good size.

Post Thanks / Like

"A 10 pound box is $347!" OMG... quick fast.... PASS ME A defibrillator....
    --
    M J D> "I think more than anything that they are looking for an honest opinion." I think you're right. Especially when they share with people like you and others who teach or weld professionally for a living. No sense spending $$$ on inventory stocking shelves with new products few professional would buy. But an entry level weldor like me>>>? My opinion wouldn't be worth anything to a welding supply that deals mostly with large commercial accounts. I think my LWS shares products with the little guys for the sake of giving us something to "work" with that we couldn't otherwise afford. Mostly likely for the sake of good will in the community since it's doubtful any hobbyist would be a center of influence.
    --
    On an aside, the owner told me that if I couldn't weld with the rod I bought from him... to come back because he'd give me a 5 pound sample of some rod that he'd guarantee I'd be able to use. I went back and showed him my practice runs. He said they looked pretty good and that I obviously didn't need the cheater rods after all. I don't know that he ever said what the "cheater" rods were or if he did... I didn't recognize it as a brand of rod.
    A lot of the items are samples to them, direct from the manufacturer. By treating you well, they are banking on future purchases. They are in competition with the box stores and farm stores for the " hobbyist market. What most hobbyists don't get is that the lws often has a better product at a better price

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone happen to know if Messer 80T-AC Plus rod is substantially equivalent to Castolin EutecTrode 680 rod?
    I can't answer that as I've never used the Castolin rods. I have used the Messer 80T-AC ones though. They are an easy rod to use. Messer has all sorts of "odd" rods that they don't give an AWS number to. I think it's mostly a sales gimmick to sell rods to maintenance guys. My guess from using them is that they are probably very similar to 7014 based on the way they run. They might even be a bit stronger so possibly closer to 8014. I'd have to read the specs again. I have a 5 lb or 10lb box of 80T-AC on the shelf somewhere. The Messer rep gave me a couple of handfuls of rod to use at the LWS's open house one time and my boss really liked them for generic work, so we bought a couple boxes. Sadly since my LWS changed hands, they don't stock much Messer rods any more. I was always very fond of their 7014 and 7018 rods and they had a big following amoungst the rock quarry guys. I think the LWS lost a lot of business when the bean counters decieded to stop carrying so much Messer stuff and substitute other brands.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Kelvin? Is that the rod referred to as farmers rod? I might actually have a little of that already.
    --
    M J D> I wonder if my LWS is in competition with big box stores and farm supplies or not... seems as if someone is always on the phone taking huge orders.... not orders like mine at the counter. I dunno if their prices are competitive with places like Lowes or Home Depot.... never checked. Even if they weren't, they'd still be saving me $$$ because their people know the welding industry and actually know how to weld.... what a concept. When I'm looking at something and wondering to myself if it would work for me, they'll step in and tell me if they think it will or not. Saves me buying something I won't or don't have the skill set to use that will lay around collecting dust when they direct me to a more appropriate product and.... the two times they didn't know, they called my neighbor and discussed what I was buying with him to make sure I wasn't buying something I'd have no need for. Doesn't get better than that and no way no how can big box stores compete with that quality of service. I'll always buy from them unless I move out of state and even then, I'll probably still buy from them because they ship anywhere.
    --
    DSW> It's okay if you don't know. By the sounds of things... I won't be buying either rod. Too expensive. There's just no need for me to be using a rod like that.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

I was not aware that Messer rods were whiz bang. I attributed the difference as Radnor is cheaply made, Where I live, good rod is hard to find. Airgas wants to stock Radnor only. By special order they get in Messer. I believe quality control at Messer is better than Radnor. As for price, I have only noticed a stiffer mark up at Airgas. They weld a pretty weld, and bond to steel very well. For maximum strength I use 7018, for a nice welding experience I like very much the 80T AC+ As the toughest weld I know stood up well with it, I trust it.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the designer rods are iron powder drag rods. They lay down a sweet looking weld. They lack extreme strength of 7018 because they may have hydrogen layering at the margin of molten to frozen steel.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist