Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage modification

Post Thanks / Like

Garage modification

Recently I bought a house with a 26'x30' detached garage. The garage is insulated and drywall sheets hung. Problem is the 2 doors, 9' wide by 7 ' high and a ceiling of just over 8' isn't suited for my uses.Name:  IMG_20160526_190205.jpg
Views: 4794
Size:  23.7 KB
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage modification

We know what comes next

Post Thanks / Like

The plan is to raise the building about 27" with 3 courses of 8" block and doubled plates between the block and the stud wall. The 3 sides will be done that way and the front will be reframed with longer studs to a plate directly on the slab. The 2 doors will be replaced with a single 9' high by 12' wide insulated door.Name:  IMG_20160526_185825.jpg
Views: 4641
Size:  22.5 KB
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I plan on raising the building is doubled up rough sawn 2" x10" pine lumber I obtained from some windblown trees. The 2x10s will be screwed to the studs about 12" off the floor after the bottom 4' high row of drywall is removed. Under the 2x10s , 8" channel iron will go across the 26' width of the building. Braces will be ran from the ceiling to the 2x10s in a few places to prevent shifting. Jacks will be placed at the area where the channel meets the 2x10s , started with a plate welded to the top of the channel so the lifting point can then go under the channel after the building is partially raised. More to follow as the progression happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    We know what comes next
    That's funny, being that I don't know what's next.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a plan Mike. You sure you don't want go to 12' ??? Raise to your height , step back and take another look .

Post Thanks / Like

In a perfect world I would probably start over, wider longer and taller. Preferably done for cheap by a scantily clad all female construction crew.( MN Dave probably has a pic or 10 to that effect). Hopefully all goes well, and with Menard's sale right now I will be saving one cent per block.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lifted a 24 x 24 and put one row of block around it. The hardest part was the first inch, after that larger pry bars and a track jack. I kept going around and dry stacking until I had enough clearance. It just takes time and beer. Be careful to brace the doors as I found out the one front wall had no nails attaching it to the side wall. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

My shop has 9' doors, was that way when I bought the property. If they were 12', I could get my yard lift inside with a load on the forks and could also get most trucks in. My International's headboard clears the door openings by about 3/4" - can't get dump trucks or a standard service truck with crane mounted to the boxes into the shop as it sits.

Good luck on the project; I've never been any good with wood and will be trying to learn something here.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do a lot with wood anymore, pretty much just rough work. Probably 15 years since I laid any block, fortunately there will only be around 200 block . After looking things over, I found that the building is anchored with powder actuated nails, which can be a pita to deal with. The framework of the building should be pretty sturdy being it has 1/2" OSB for sheating. The biggest cost should be the door, quote was 900$ and change for a 9' x12' insulated door, installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That's funny, being that I don't know what's next.
    I'll send you encouraging texts...

You're much braver Thani. If I tried to do anything to this heap of crap I call a garage, it would probably fall over

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do a lot with wood anymore, pretty much just rough work. Probably 15 years since I laid any block, fortunately there will only be around 200 block . After looking things over, I found that the building is anchored with powder actuated nails, which can be a pita to deal with. The framework of the building should be pretty sturdy being it has 1/2" OSB for sheating. The biggest cost should be the door, quote was 900$ and change for a 9' x12' insulated door, installed.
    Mr. Patience doesn't do wood lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Mr. Patience doesn't do wood lol.
    Mr. Patience can do wood, but certainly not a Bob Villa level. But for the record Mr. Patience would have bytch slapped Villa repeatedly for being an annoying schmuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Rig would have grabbed a guitar and gave him forty whacks for good measure

Mr Rig does wood.. With a circular saw or chain saw. If he can't screw or nail it together he don't do it..

Post Thanks / Like

Damn man, you were talking about cutting the nails this morning - saw this thread and figured it was all lifted and blocked for laying courses in the morning.

You're slacking off and going to your regular job instead of working on the shop
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how that works. It will be nice to actually have some time to work on this over the weekend. Hopefully it goes smooth, and I can find all of the fasteners that are holding it in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it'll go smoothly - but if it doesn't, just use more power - that'll fix it
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a walk in the park...

Name:  Moved.png
Views: 4478
Size:  61.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest cost should be the door, quote was 900$ and change for a 9' x12' insulated door, installed.
    Where did you get the quote on the door and what model? I'm thinking a 10'x12' door for the new "shed" later this year.

I never was a big block fan. I'd jack it all up and pour the walls myself. 8" or wider and you'd have enough room to shoot in the crete if you are careful or pump it. I was just talking to the guy who owns the farm where we do 4-H Wednesday night. He's got an old barn the lower block wall is bowing in due to soil on the outside. He asked if I did block or knew a mason. I told him it's a shame we got rid of all the concrete wall forms last year. I'd have easily poured him a nice 10-12" wall about 4' hight to get him above grade, then framed the rest for infill.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Where did you get the quote on the door and what model? I'm thinking a 10'x12' door for the new "shed" later this year.

I never was a big block fan. I'd jack it all up and pour the walls myself. 8" or wider and you'd have enough room to shoot in the crete if you are careful or pump it. I was just talking to the guy who owns the farm where we do 4-H Wednesday night. He's got an old barn the lower block wall is bowing in due to soil on the outside. He asked if I did block or knew a mason. I told him it's a shame we got rid of all the concrete wall forms last year. I'd have easily poured him a nice 10-12" wall about 4' hight to get him above grade, then framed the rest for infill.
    This quote was from a local dude who installs a lot of commercial doors. I found prices all over the board, so check around.Menard's was more for the door, uninstalled than this guy. The bonus is that he gave me a fair price for the old doors and openers. As for the block, if this was a bigger building and I had access to forms, poured would be the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

My dream is to have my shop re-wired by a real electrician.
    It's hard to weld when you can't see.

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting stuff! Let me know if you need any help. I can bring the antique skidsteer by as well if needed.

Really at the point of lifting the garage adding in another stack or two of blocks for that extra foot might make you happy in the future. Plus with the $0.01 savings at Menards right now you'll be making out like a bandit!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

You're doing better than me... my plan A was to remove the flat roof that I didn't like off of a pig barn and extend the 8' walls up to 14'. When I got into it, Plan B ended up blowing everything off to floor level and starting from scratch. That was 3 yrs ago and I'm still working on it.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Exciting stuff! Let me know if you need any help. I can bring the antique skidsteer by as well if needed.

Really at the point of lifting the garage adding in another stack or two of blocks for that extra foot might make you happy in the future. Plus with the $0.01 savings at Menards right now you'll be making out like a bandit!
    Going higher may happen, a 10' tall door was 100$ more than a 9' door. I would need 5 courses to fit in the 10' door without messing with trusses. Thanks for the offer. I could use a load of masonry sand if you have a dump trailer or small dump truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it if you can... you won't regret it. My 12ft door isn't high enough...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les