+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: back pain thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: back pain thread

I had a broken back at age 20. When it bothers me now I set up my sawhorses so my feet will be off the ground about an inch and do a press like you are are on parallel bars. Hold it for as long as your arms hold out and you can feel your spine relax and back feel better. Be careful touching down to the ground so you don't compress your back again. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

My grandpa was an electrician all his life and suffered back pain. He had a pair of those hang-upside-down boots that connected to the basement ceiling. He used them almost daily and swore by them. Same principle as an inversion table, just older technology. You've got to be in pretty good shape to get up there though.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy I played football with in high school is a Chiropractor in town, when I called his office then walked in 30 minutes later and couldn't stand up straight he worked me over and got me straighter than I was when I came in. Over the next two months he worked on straightening and twisting me back into shape and I've been stretching to keep stiffness out ever since. Remember to focus on your entire back, neck, knees, shoulders and feet all attribute to back pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but massage therapy can be as if not more helpful than a chiropractor. Usually muscle spasms and tension are to blame for "misalignments". Relaxing the muscles is more effective long term than simply forcing the joints back into alignment.

A GOOD massage therapist (not a froo-froo spa massage) that specializes in sports injuries is who you want to see. Some insurance plans will even cover it with a doctors note.

Post Thanks / Like

Having good posture in the car helps a lot for me. I'm constantly pushing my butt against the back of the seat, and a water bottle or 2 right around the love area handles helps a lot too. And lifting weights with good form will help a lot, at least for the type of back pain I have it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Been dealing with occasional back pain since I was a teen as well. A bad chiropractor will cause you more pain than anyone you've ever met ( a few ex wives may be the exception) so find a good one. Ask around for referrals. Exercise and keeping in shape will go a long way to alleviating pain. I'm 5'9" and I know when I go over 175 lbs the pain makes me behave... usually. Few things will slow you down like back pain so look after it.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a doctor. I can retell the explanation a doctor told me. Vertebrae have notches on each side where nerves branch out to other body parts. When we're young the discs are like tire tubes, full. As we age, or injure, they soften, settling somewhat. Physical therapy helped me to strengthen muscles around the spine, reducing the pinch.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

so its saturday night, and more improvement!

i worked a solid 16 hours today with very little pain. lots of stiffness, but no real pain. just achy. i suppose my little "routine" has helped. i will continue through next weekend till i can get on my bike again, which seems to be the true test.

thanks for the responses again folks
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

so its saturday night, and more improvement!

i worked a solid 16 hours today with very little pain. lots of stiffness, but no real pain. just achy. i suppose my little "routine" has helped. i will continue through next weekend till i can get on my bike again, which seems to be the true test.

thanks for the responses again folks
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I have dealt with some pain for years but fortunately for me it is not as bad as yours. As you know and has been said, proper exercise can make a world of difference.

I find that even though I am active in the shop and take the dog out for 2-3 mile walks on the weekend, that isn't enough. During the week I do a bunch of flutter kicks, stomach exercises, 20-30 minutes on an elliptical, and one exercise where I stand on one foot, lean over on a chair then raise the opposite foot parallel to the ground. Do that for 2-3 sets of 20 repetitions and it strengthens and stretches the back.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

See a Doctor, get an X-Ray, then referral for MRI and a Sports Medicine Doctor. I got mine worked on when I totally Ruptured the Disk. Now I go to a Chiropractor every 3 weeks average. I'm skinny and tall, not stocky. I now have premature Arthritis in my Neck from an old Neck injury. But the point is: After my lower back surgery I never gave up. Kept moving, kept exercising to be able to function.
    Another guy, same age, same lower back, gave up and is no better, no happier than before he had surgery.

Post Thanks / Like

Physical therapy gave me a series of exercises. I get lazy until pain returns, then do it a couple weeks till pain subsides. If you can, go get trained. Equipment includes a few varieties of stretchy fitness bands. In my case, the ladies teaching were gorgeous, and they act like they like me. There is another industry a lot like that, but insurance won't pay for it.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Exercise is the perfect solution for back pain. The exercise help to relax the muscle and circulates blood perfectly inside the spine and body; thus it relieves pain on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice (dead, grave digging ) thread, with lots of valid ideas which I discovered myself, a good decade ago. Exercise and proper posture, plus lots of stretching is what keeps me alive. It's a balance of understanding what your body needs, and what you can and cannot do anymore. As long as I don't sit for long periods, get good rest (which almost daily requires me to move from bed to couch), and lots of stretching exercises, and yoga poses, I'm like I was in my early 20's... go all day without much pain at all. Now that my L5 S1 disc is shot, life's a little different.

Biggest secret(s) I can convey ?

When you're 12 years old, no matter how much your friends egg you on, don't jump off that bridge, down onto that sandbar below. Just cause they did it, doesn't mean you should too !! Especially if you land wrong on that sandbar, finding yourself tucked into a ball having your face meet your feet, knees behind your head. The dude in the picture gives you and idea of how I landed, and wasn't supposed to ever be in a position of. The dude in the photo was how I landed.

good posture, regardless of where you are. Home, standing in line, driving, sitting, working, lifting stuff, etc.

Torso exercises.... loosen up those muscles, and stretch out that center section

Good chiropractor... although I don't like being married to any doctor, I only go when I have to. Some chriopractors are sham artists, and purposely prolong your pain so you can..... Oh how did she say it ??? "don't worry, you have 43 visits left on your plan for the year "

Yeah... after I told you I was feeling good..... B!TCH....

Best thing I've ever done regarding staying vertical ?

2 things:

When I wake in the AM. I NEVER SIT DOWN anymore. When I used to wake up, then go sit in a chair in the AM, I would be stiff as a board all day, sometimes in pain all day. Now, I stay standing for at least an hour after I wake, or go about my day. This allows the muscles in my back to relax back into a good posture position for the day.

Read this book : https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Ba...robin+mckenzie

By far, the best, most valuable $10 I ever spent. Considering you can buy them used for about $ 1.00, it might cost you less.

That book, single handed-ly changed my life forever for the good. It made me, in simple terms, understand that I was the cause of my own pain. I caused the pain, and I was continuing the process by not comprehending what I was doing on a daily basis was ALL WRONG... Most difficult part was the year it took me to actually remember that what was wrong with me was me, NOT paying attention to my own body's signals. After about a year following reading that book, my life has been much, much better.

Do I still feel pain ? Yup. Absolutely ! I just know how NOW, how to correct it, and make it go away.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to chiropractors and every time I have been I always come out feeling worse than when I went in.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I have been to chiropractors and every time I have been I always come out feeling worse than when I went in.
    Been there, done that.

Me ? I've Finally found an honest one. Had to fire about 6 of them to get to the one I have now. Some are driven by greed. The one I have, isn't. There are times I've been there, and haven't even paid him. Wouldn't take the money, as he felt bad for me abusing myself moving and mixing a dozen 80lb bags of concrete...

I minimize my times there. Maybe 5 - 6 times a year at most...other than to stop in and shoot the chit.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll leave them for others. No more chiropractors for me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Back in '98, it was hip pain that forced me to seek help.
    Turned out my lower back was rooted, went to three different orthopaedic surgeons, all of them said "Stop what you're doing". (self employed mechanic)

Gave spannering away, claimed on my income protection insurance, my wife took over running the business with employed mechanics. (a whole other story and, THE reason why I'll NEVER employ anyone EVER again)

Insurance paid me for 14 months, then claimed I lied in my application and stopped paying, so I sued them.
    The whole time, I was being filmed by dodgy bastards in vans with blacked out windows.
    It took me four years but, I ended up kicking their butt and, they settled out of court.

We ended up selling the business around the same time, damn near lost everything we'd worked hard for.

Meanwhile, my back's still rooted.....will be for the rest of my life.
    I manage it as best as I can by irregular exercise and, healthy living. (sorta, kinda... )
    Buy or borrow that book. Unless your spine is fused together, there is still hope
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate, maybe I will.
    I know what the problem with my spine is, Spondylolisthesis.....L4/L5.
    Slippage in '98 was 1.3cm (1/2")

Since giving away being a mechanic, the old hammer and tack hasn't been as bad.....still have off days all the same.
    Good.

I can't tell you how many times I've referred that book to someone, and the had good results. Some, however, have not, but their spinal column was too far gone.

The exercises ( if you want to call them that) are not like gym exercises. No sweating involved, unless you're sitting on a hot plate, if you're in a room of half naked beautiful women... Or ugly ones....

Lol

It's really the idea of reconfiuring your mindset to be cognizant of your body, what you're doing with it, and respond to it accordingly. Some yoga type movements, but for the most part very elementary ideas that work for most who tried it, and stuck with it for the long term.

Nothing will help descimated joints, but those with some damage usually respond well. Not giving up goes a long way.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've told people about that book.

I'd have more than a nickel...
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I ruptured a disc in my low back it was the third time I had injured my back. My right calf stayed locked up and spasming and I could verily tolerate climbing in and out of my truck much less driving or walking. Went to a neurologist who recommended surgery. While I was waiting on my surgery date they gave me a epidural steroid injection. Which helped a little not much. I then started looking for more options because my father has had multiple back surgeries that seem to have only made things worse he now has several disc fused together. My wife found a pilates instructor that specializes in back injuries. I have been going to her 3 days a week for around 3 years now and feel better than I did when I was in my 20s and I'm 42 now no back pain. I am now very flexible. When I was 14 I had a dirt bike accident and broke my left tibia and fibia, my right femur and fractured my pelvis in a dozen or so places. I was in traction then a wheel chair with both legs in cast for a few months. I have been stiff every since then but all of that stiffness is gone now as well. I definitely would recommend it to anyone with back issues.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Physical therapy gave me a series of exercises. I get lazy until pain returns, then do it a couple weeks till pain subsides. If you can, go get trained. Equipment includes a few varieties of stretchy fitness bands. In my case, the ladies teaching were gorgeous, and they act like they like me. There is another industry a lot like that, but insurance won't pay for it.

Willie
    this! Physical therapy is underrated and the crack your back quacks way over rated!!!

without Physical therapy i wouldn't be walking today.

i had a weight training coach in high school that beat into our heads "a bad back is a weak back" training/ therapy will keep you young, it doesnt take much but makes a world of difference. i hate 'exercise' and cant understand those run for fun or cross-fit peaople, but as a self-employed person i've come to realize the time spent, maybe 2hrs a week, working on myself, greatly increases my hrly value and quality of life. the absolute worse is maintaining on vacation, i cant go more than 3days without doing some exercises, my back just locks up its no fun.
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Post Thanks / Like

I manage it as best as I can by irregular exercise and, healthy living. (sorta, kinda... )[/QUOTE]

Name:  fosters-lager-can-500x500.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  50.3 KB Better than muscle relaxers I'd wager. Good for the kidneys. So ya...………...I'd say it's sorta healthy.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Hey T Man.....I'm amazed to find out, the author Robin McKenzie, hails from a town in New Zealand called Waikanae (pronounced, why-can-eye) which is only about 15 clicks north of my home town of Pukerua Bay.

Small world.
    Thats cool.

IIRC, the very early books were coined, or noted as written by "DR." Robin McKenzie. The later revisions, the "DR" was removed.

There are two other books he wrote as well. "Treat your own neck", and "Treat your own shoulder". I have the neck version, and I just ordered the shoulder version. I wasn't aware of the shoulder version until yesterday. Have some arthritis and tendonitis that I need to work on in my left shoulder. The book helped with my back, so I guess I'll try out the shoulder version.

Lol.

This book was the most sold self help book ever for the longest time (over 4 million copies). IT may still be. I guess he retired ? Probably made too much money selling the book..

Must be nice..... Maybe he's practicing welding in his little one car garage somewhere

This "tool" has been a godsend for me. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...32122476&psc=1

I use it by placing it on the mat in the gym, and lying on it in a prone position, directly under the small of my back. I get to stare at the lights on the ceiling, or if some nice looking lady walks by, her buttocks. lol.

Anyway, use the roller to reverse arch your back. It stretches the tendons and ligaments in your lower spine. Relaxing while on it works best. You can roll back and forth as well, creating different pressure points on your back. I use it almost every time I'm there.
    Last edited by T man; 08-02-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    T man.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to regular exercise there is one thing that I found that works wonders for me. My good friend was in a bad car accident and it was recommended to him. He uses it regularly as do I. I know that it is not something that will work for everyone in every situation but for those that are able too you should give it a try.

Inversion table.

jrw159

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrw159 View Post
    In addition to regular exercise there is one thing that I found that works wonders for me. My good friend was in a bad car accident and it was recommended to him. He uses it regularly as do I. I know that it is not something that will work for everyone in every situation but for those that are able too you should give it a try.

Inversion table.

jrw159
    I have one. Works great for a little while, but gravity settles back in and causes the pain to return.

This one works, cause I have one in my office. This is an absolute for anyone who has back pain and sits at a computer.

https://www.amazon.com/ProErgo-Ergon...kneeling+chair

It keeps you from having a bent lower spine, by retaining your knees lower than if on a conventional chair. Bad for people with really bad knees, though.

I mean look at the firm pads on this one ! Nice !

And for all you lesbians out there.... they have a Brittany spears version too ! https://www.amazon.com:laugh:/Britne...kneeling+chair

Last edited by T man; 08-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    T man.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist