Thread: welding lead size question*******

Post Thanks / Like

welding lead size question*******

i have 100' of #4 for ground and stinger that i got with a lincoln sa250 welder. ive got 50' of 2/0 ground and stinger. would there be any way to connect and use both? either putting the #4 first and 2/0 last? right now im doing small structural before kicking back up on mainline for the company. Ive ran a 5mm for a few hours non stop with no cool time on the 4 and it seemed to handle fine, but that was with leads hanging free, how would it perform rolled on a reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: welding lead size question*******

Yes. Take your 2/0 cable, and connect it to the machine. I store mine in 50' lengths. Use the #4 as your stinger, 15' or so will do. Connect that to the end of your 2/0, and weld.

2/0 is a nice heavy cable that can carry high current over long distance, but it's heavy, and you don't want all that weight dragging your arm down all day.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

but could i connect all 100' if #4 to the end of 2/0 and still be good? or just cut say 50-75' of the #4 and put on the end? i need the length for the structural but dont want to burn up the copper when i mainline again (ill be pushing almost 150ish amps on mainline structural is no problem).

Post Thanks / Like

There are charts online that tell you what cable you need for amps x cable length

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what amperage you're running, that may or may not work.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, i talked with a mentor i guess you could call him and he was strongly against reels, which i understand completely. Ill prolly make do for this structural for now, and throw 125' of 2/0 for ground and stinger later with 10' #4 whips (i have 2 stingers i go between when one gets hot i plug in the other while it cools down). Also been thinking about this and yall give me input, on mainline usually you only need 25' of ground and stinger. would it be reasonable to make a 25-30' 2/0 lead that plugs straight into machine for mainline (i have quick connects on machine)? I know the concept wouldnt work for tie-ins but i dont expect to be on a tie in crew anytime soon, or at least until i have saved more money for full 2/0 leads. because like i said, fortunately the #4 has surprisingly help up well running a 5mm rod non stop of course while free hanging in loose loops so there isnt a electromagnetic field and the leads can breathe.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just step up a size for your stinger? If you're running a 200 amp stinger and it's getting hot, bump up to a 300 amp. Problem solved, and it's one less thing that requires maintenance.

Out of curiosity, why is he against using reels? Just because of the magnetic fields and potential for heat buildup? Or some more utilitarian reason?
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

magnetic fields and heat. Hes old school, says if a magnetic field builds up (which isnt always) it will make the puddle "do some wierd ****" as he calls it. And ive got a Stinger V, i like the T300's but i'll swear by the Stinger V and day of the week. Makes cap passes stack on like butter if you bend the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Magnetic fields do always build up. They always develop around your leads, and they always develop in the workpiece. That's just the nature of welding. When they get strong enough to affect your welding, that's called "arc blow". In a nutshell, the arc becomes erratic because of the majestic field pushing and pulling it all over the place. As for your stinger, a good welder can make a good weld regardless of the style of stinger he's using. But that's the nice thing about having options.
    2000 Lincoln SA-250
    1974 Miller Dial-Arc 250

Post Thanks / Like

exactly, thats why i like the t300's for roots and hots and stinger v for fill and cap. i can position a rod in a t300 at a 45 for ease of use when running a 6g test. its all personal preference and what works best for each welder, and yeah ive never gotten that arc blow with my leads, ive got them in about 1.5' tall loose loops. but my dad (30 yrs experience) got it bad when using 1/0 150' leads on a 3" core reel with only about 25' strung out. just dont want to run into that.