Thread: 1971 sa200 help asap!

Post Thanks / Like

1971 sa200 help asap!

I have a 1971 SA200 blackface with the f163 gas powered engine. Machine is in pretty good cosmetic and mechanical condition. Smokes a little on low idle but that's about it. Just recently had my rig go down and was out for 3 weeks, bought a new one and switched all my equipment over. Last time I used machine ran and welded great but now only a few sparks come off the rod when I go to strike an arc. Maybe bad stinger, or bad connection in my leads somewhere. just put all new quick connects and have three new stingers on the way. Any other suggestions of what it might be if it's not just a bad stinger or connection? Brushes look good and just cleaned armature with honing stone. Any help would be appreciated so I can get back to work. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1971 sa200 help asap!

Simple causes - bad rheostat (burned winding) or poor connection in the wiring.

Major causes - failed main generator shunt coils or failed exciter coils.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the reply! It also idles up for a grinder perfectly if that helps eliminate anything, maybe the generator shunt coils?

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to ask that. Yes, the exciter is fine if you have auxiliary power so if it's not the rheostat or wiring then the main shunt coils are suspect.

If you have an multi-meter you can check them. Disconnect the blue wire from the rheostat and locate the brown wire coming out of the generator housing (next to the blue wire) and follow it to where it connects to the black wire going to the idler board. If the brown and black wires connect with piggyback terminals at the idler board, disconnect the brown and check resistance between the brown and blue wires. Earlier units have the brown and black wires connected in the harness and if this is the case with your unit, check resistance between the black wire (without disconnecting from the brown) and the blue wire. If the main shunt coils are good, resistance should be 40ohms (+/-).
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check with my meter tomorrow morning and get back to you asap! I appreciate the help, been welding for awhile now but know little to nothing about the actual machine. i know shunts are about 300$ and I have a good feeling they are the cause right now. I wonder what my local shop would rape me to install them. I appreciate the help brother thank u!

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you a PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110