Thread: How to use a cutting torch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use a cutting torch

This guy is amazing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqQCWNiH4Ks[/ame]
    XMT304 (school)
    SP125+ (home)
    HF 4x6 Bandsaw

Good judgement comes from experience and much of that comes from bad judgement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    Excellent video Irish

Wish i was half that good
    Thanks. I bet you're better than you think. It just takes some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    This guy is amazing
    Yes he is. That's some real good looking art he's got there. I can't help thinking about the time he's got invested in some of that. I never could figure out how anyone could make a living doing that. At least to my level of perfection. I've tried the artsy stuff before and got passed over for stuff that looked to be cut out by a 2 year old for ridiculous prices. That was when I decided to quit that type stuff.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that too Irish. Some mornings, steady as a rock and some mornings, uhhh, not so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Irish maybe you got to look the part of an artist not a welder.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really a very nice thing you have done here showing all this. You certainly didn't have to spend the time making and posting these videos, but a great many people will benefit.

BTW you have amazing control. When I see you run that entire name in almost one shot without a real oops, that is quite impressive. That's some innate talent coupled with years of practice.

Sticky this!
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I've noticed that too Irish. Some mornings, steady as a rock and some mornings, uhhh, not so good.
    Yep. Unfortunately the bad days keep getting more frequent.
    The bad thing is that I'm not really that old or at least don't feel that way. \

Quote Originally Posted by Cat220 View Post
    Irish maybe you got to look the part of an artist not a welder.
    Maybe. I just know that I spent a lot of time and care making them well and priced them at what amounted to give away prices but saw the people pass them buy for some pretty lousy looking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    This is really a very nice thing you have done here showing all this. You certainly didn't have to spend the time making and posting these videos, but a great many people will benefit.

BTW you have amazing control. When I see you run that entire name in almost one shot without a real oops, that is quite impressive. That's some innate talent coupled with years of practice.

Sticky this!

Thanks. I hope many benefit from it. I must say that I'm slightly disappointed in the number of plays some of the later videos are getting. I'm afraid that some are seeing the first ones and deciding they can't learn anything from them when the later video's go into more detail.

Thanks for the compliment. Don't tell anybody but I did mess up on that one. When I shifted position I did it because I'd lost sight of the line and actually cut across it. The tie in between the d and the a was supposed to be lower than it is. I had to compensate on the fly there. My helpers often comment on the fact that I can cut better than I can draw sometimes. I often compensate during a cut to make it better than the drawing.

I intended to make the whole name in one go just to show it was possible. It would of been but in my hurry to keep the video short I failed to take my practice pass to make sure I had enough freedom of movement to cover the whole piece. In a case like this you often have to start out in a uncomfortable position in order to be able to make it all the way across. If you start out in a comfortable position you just have the distance from comfortable to unable to do it. If you start out as far the other way as possible while uncomfortable to start out it allows you twice as much movement.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about #views too much. If it really has you bent, then make even another new thread with just the final videos, when you think you are done. The casual viewers won't get past the first page or two. That's their loss.

You know the deal by now: The difference between pros and amateurs is the pros know how to cover their mistakes. Not that they don't make any...just not as many, and the ones they do they hide well. Yeah I guessed that you had an issue at that spot where you stopped, but only because I have BTDT (though not with a torch on steel - there are many other things similar in life...). As the kids say you have "mad skilz"
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that I'm slightly disappointed in the number of plays some of the later videos are getting.
    They'll get lots more as we point others to them. I'm gonna download the lot and put them in a folder on my shop computer.

They are like the "canonical Tozzi scratch start TIG rig thread", great references!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I wouldn't worry about #views too much. If it really has you bent, then make even another new thread with just the final videos, when you think you are done. The casual viewers won't get past the first page or two. That's their loss.

You know the deal by now: The difference between pros and amateurs is the pros know how to cover their mistakes. Not that they don't make any...just not as many, and the ones they do they hide well. Yeah I guessed that you had an issue at that spot where you stopped, but only because I have BTDT (though not with a torch on steel - there are many other things similar in life...). As the kids say you have "mad skilz"
    It's not that I'm really worried about it. It's just that I was surprised at the ratio of initial viewers to the ones that looked at the last ones. Last time I looked it was something like 450 of the first video and about half that on the second. Then it goes way down from there with the later videos only going to about 10-20 till they sit there a week and slowly creep up.

As I told my helper the other day you have to make your mistake a "feature" like it was intended to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    They'll get lots more as we point others to them. I'm gonna download the lot and put them in a folder on my shop computer.

They are like the "canonical Tozzi scratch start TIG rig thread", great references!
    I'm sure they'll get more views I was just surprised at how many didn't make it past the first video.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Fixit,

I just finished viewing several of your videos on YouTube and I really appreciate your help. Having not touched a torch or welder in almost 40 years, I really needed this. Also, being older than dirt, with but two braincells left, it's tough trying to remember what was presented in the welding class I attended in the early seventies. But you my friend have helped me more than you'll ever know.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Danny aka: WATCH YOUR EYES
    Happiness is a cold beer, a satellite dish and quality time with my dog...!

Post Thanks / Like

Irish you made some great informative videos Thank You Very Much

I did watch them all and found them all very informative.

Some people always skip the basics and that is were they screw up..they want to read the last pages in the book and they missed the important parts of the story of how it all came about

This is why i run into so many self proclaimed experts that don't know $ h i t from shineola ...Ruin more shoes that way.
    As my grandfather used to say

You can lead the horse to water
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH YOUR EYES View Post
    Mr. Fixit,

I just finished viewing several of your videos on YouTube and I really appreciate your help. Having not touched a torch or welder in almost 40 years, I really needed this. Also, being older than dirt, with but two braincells left, it's tough trying to remember what was presented in the welding class I attended in the early seventies. But you my friend have helped me more than you'll ever know.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Danny aka: WATCH YOUR EYES
    You're welcome. That's the reason I made this thread. To help and payback for all the help I've gotten from this forum.

Irish you made some great informative videos Thank You Very Much

I did watch them all and found them all very informative.

Some people always skip the basics and that is were they screw up..they want to read the last pages in the book and they missed the important parts of the story of how it all came about

This is why i run into so many self proclaimed experts that don't know $ h i t from shineola ...Ruin more shoes that way.
    As my grandfather used to say

You can lead the horse to water
    Thanks. Yeah I know what you mean. Personally I'm always trying to learn more where ever or what ever I'm doing. But I'm a BIG believer in knowing the fundamentals of anything. If you can understand the basics then you at least have a chance of figuring out the more complicated stuff.

The truth is I don't consider myself that much of a guru at cutting. I've seen better but apparently I'm good enough that some can learn and if that's possible then great.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

I am a subscriber, grumpy82nd, on utube. What setting are you using for the O2? I thought I heard 100 psi than I thought I heard 60 psi. Little hard hearing. I have been making some very bad cuts lately and your videos explain what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat220 View Post
    I am a subscriber, grumpy82nd, on utube. What setting are you using for the O2? I thought I heard 100 psi than I thought I heard 60 psi. Little hard hearing. I have been making some very bad cuts lately and your videos explain what I am doing wrong. Thank you.
    I've seen your subscription and thank you for it, but I must admit that I didn't tie you to that one. Some of the subscribers (9 the last time I looked) are easy to figure out who they are on this board. Others aren't. I should take this chance to thank all of you who have subscribed. I should of thanked everybody sooner but with everything going on it slipped my mind (what there is of it)

You're welcome

The setting varies depending on tip and work thickness. If using say a 1/4" rated tip (about a 00 in Victor I believe) to cut 1" plate then 80 to 100 is needed for a decent cut though you might get by with 60. A larger tip I use a lower setting. You really just have to play with it and find what that particular tip likes for what you're cutting though experience can get me close most of the time. As a rule I usually have my oxygen at 40 most of the time. Unless cutting thicker stock then it usually goes up. Travel speed is also affected by the oxygen pressure so if you like to cut fast (I'm smoother if going faster) then higher pressure but if forced to go slow say like I did on the second name I cut out then I dropped to 30 despite using a 1/4" tip on 1/2" plate.

On the Setting a torch and other tips (or tricks for lower resolution) vids I go through the pressure changes on cutting 1" plate with the 1/4" tip. I start with 40 and work up to 80 or 100 in that one.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say, anybody who doesn't watch ALL of these videos is missing out big time! Being more of a hobbyist (an old one at that) I can't tell you how much these are going to help me. I've been amassing a pretty decent shop with the help of Craigslist and the horrible economy in Vegas and was thinking of dumping all of the O/A gear that I have gotten for nearly nothing. NOT NOW! I have to get all of my tanks filled because I intend on getting some serious practice in on all of the scarp I have laying around,

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge and experience you are sharing here!
    Bird of Prey

(Bird of Prayer)

OhioDave
    Sc(HOT)sdale Arizona

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone but me ever used drag tips for some types of cutting they work well
    I used them for doing long cuts with a guide rail

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bird_of_Prey View Post
    Just wanted to say, anybody who doesn't watch ALL of these videos is missing out big time! Being more of a hobbyist (an old one at that) I can't tell you how much these are going to help me. I've been amassing a pretty decent shop with the help of Craigslist and the horrible economy in Vegas and was thinking of dumping all of the O/A gear that I have gotten for nearly nothing. NOT NOW! I have to get all of my tanks filled because I intend on getting some serious practice in on all of the scarp I have laying around,

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge and experience you are sharing here!
    You're welcome. I'm glad they're helping you.

Has anyone but me ever used drag tips for some types of cutting they work well
    I used them for doing long cuts with a guide rail
    Drag tip for OA. Can't say that I know exactly what you're talking about. Got a pic?
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pic of a Smith CS 17-0 plate cutting drag tip they only have two holes one for pre heat and the jet hole and the extended piece is a lug that rides on the surface

I could swear that Victor made these also but could not find one in there catalog but Smith still has them along with other specialty tips

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Yeah I think that I've seen one like that in my old Linde catalog that burned. I've never used one but always wanted one to play with. One of the problems with thin plate is getting the preheat low enough to not melt the metal while cutting. I always thought that one of those would help with that. I think I've seen a Victor one once. If memory serves me right my former employers got one in a auction one time. Never got a chance to use it though.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

For real thin metal (anything under 1/8) plasma works better.
    We used these to cut parts for the gun safes we were making

But i tried it to fab guards for machines in a fastener factory i was working at the metal was too thin and it warped so they rented a plasma cutter for me to do that job

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

There's no question there. Plasma rules on thin stuff. But much over 1/4" and I can get better cuts with the torch just not as fast.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to bevel the 1/2" plate that is my welding bench so i can weld the 3"x 3"x 3/8 angle iron frame i made to go around it

Just going to use angle iron guide and bevel it with my plasma cutter

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Beveling is another place the plasma shines. The problem with beveling with a torch is that it's hard to get enough preheat to keep the cut going on the near side of the kerf. Thus slow travel speed and high preheat needed makes for lousy cut.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

While plasma is better on thin plate, it doesn't mean you can't do it with a torch. It would be better to just learn how to do it with the torch. You can see on these cut outs on a gate entrance I posted earlier that there is plenty of detail. There is pears on the cactus, beards on the turkeys and all the points on the bucks. A small, clean tip, a steady hand and travel speed as fast as you can go and it can be done. This is on 12 ga. plate and it is 12 inches tall between the two pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some absolutely beautiful OA cuts done on a track torch to bevel plate. I've seen saw cut edges that were rougher than some really nice OA bevels. I'm sure good settings and the constant travel speed and angle of the track torch has a lot to do with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist