Thread: Oxy-Acetylene Welding Regulator Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Oxy-Acetylene Welding Regulator Safety

I am new to welding and had a few safety questions. I have only started with Oxy-Acetylene basics.

In my book it says to not open the tank valves too quickly because this can cause damage to the regulator. Can it cause damage even when the T-valve is uncompressed (it would read at 0 psi with an uncompressed T-valve even with the tank open)?

At my station, I unintentionally let the acetylene go from 5 psi to 20 psi by re-opening the tank valve after closing it. Then I immediately turned the acetylene valve off, the bled the line. Could I possibly have damaged my regulator by doing this? I read that acetylene is unstable at above 25 psi and can self-ignite from its own heat under pressure. Could excess heat and pressure have damaged the regulator? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxy-Acetylene Welding Regulator Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Serius View Post
    I am new to welding and had a few safety questions. I have only started with Oxy-Acetylene basics.

In my book it says to not open the tank valves too quickly because this can cause damage to the regulator. Can it cause damage even when the T-valve is uncompressed (it would read at 0 psi with an uncompressed T-valve even with the tank open)?

At my station, I unintentionally let the acetylene go from 5 psi to 20 psi by re-opening the tank valve after closing it. Then I immediately turned the acetylene valve off, the bled the line. Could I possibly have damaged my regulator by doing this? I read that acetylene is unstable at above 25 psi and can self-ignite from its own heat under pressure. Could excess heat and pressure have damaged the regulator? Thanks.
    No worries, you haven't damaged anything.

The damage your book writes about more about mechnical damage from repeatingly hammer the internals of the regulator with high pressure.

It's just unnessesary wear and tear to open the valves quickly with an unpressurized regulator.

Similar to slamming the door on your car each time you open and close it.
    Last edited by Pete.S.; 09-07-2016 at 06:43 PM.