+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using the new Powermax45 XP!

Post Thanks / Like

Using the new Powermax45 XP!

For the upcoming Fabtech show in Vegas...we (Hypertherm) needed a couple of downdraft demonstration cutting tables for the new Powermax45 XP so we can do live demos, as well as to let attendees put the torch in their hand and try it out for themselves (there will be giveaway Powermax45 XP's!). Since we waited too long to farm out the fabrication of these tables...I volunteered to design and build them in my shop.

First, I pulled my trusty Powermax85 off my CNC machine (Plasmacam) and installed a Powermax45 XP. It was plug and play.....unplug the interface cable from the rear of the 85, plug it into the rear of the 45 XP. I used the Powermax85 Duramax mini-machine torch (again....just unplugged it from the 85 and plugged it into the 45 XP). What better tool to cut all of the metal panels, brackets, gussets, etc for a Powermax45 XP demo table.....than the 45 XP itself!

Here are a few pics of the table.....it has the following features:

- Downdraft Fume control with built in Torit-Donaldson filters and fan.
    - Easilly replaceable cutting bed slats.
    - Hood to capture sparks from gouging as well as Flush-Cut consumable demos.
    - Upper tinted assembly has electrically operated raise lower device....for easy communication with show attendees.
    - Note the rear "Built By" tag....304 Stainless, using the Plasma Marking process with argon at 13 amps!

I will test both units in my shop today, then truck them to a Hypertherm warehouse to ship to the Fabtech show. We will also have a Powermax45 XP on a home built CNC table (that I built last summer) for live mechanized cutting demos. In our other 3 booths we will show high definition plasma cutting, waterjet cutting as well as all of our other products....see you in Vegas. Jim Colt HyperthermName:  demotablefront.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  39.9 KBName:  demotabletopdown.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  37.9 KBName:  demotablerear.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  32.6 KBName:  built by Jim Colt marking.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  100.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using the new Powermax45 XP!

Was the name plate Plasma marking?(Air or Argon) If it is, maybe get a closer up view of the detail.. Since it's a process with the 45XP..
    Nice build on those things..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

BrandX....the marking in the pic was Argon at 13 amps, 75 ipm, on 304 SS. It is a medium depth mark....I would estimate about .015" deep. At 10 amps using argon there is no depth, just a nice dark brown line...good for layout, etc. I had to flap disc the surface a bit to remove stuck on top dross....it did not look bad, though wasn't pretty enough for a tag like this. The air marking does a great job on steel. I used the height control to maintain height at .100".....I think it was around 45 volts!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Was the name plate Plasma marking?(Air or Argon) If it is, maybe get a closer up view of the detail.. Since it's a process with the 45XP..
    Nice build on those things..

Post Thanks / Like

So would marking at 20 amps Argon (Powermax 65) give you a wider defused line,but a bit deeper in MS? How about a gas mixer 2 using different ratios of Argon/air mixes.. Just wondering if there is certain things you can change for different applications. I really have my marking down to a very high level with SheetCam, and my floating head setup.. Mark then Plasma cut, without stopping to change anything..Just as long as your offsets are checked, it's very accurate. Really works easier then to mess with my plasma setup. Although I use it quite a bit too.. Hole marking..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice little tables you made there.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Brandx, I agree that a pneumatic marker will do a better marking job. Plasma marking is much more dependent on speed, height, amperage....where a vibrating pneumatic marker is more forgiving.

Plasma marker advantages:

- Not as noisy
    - Extremely fast
    - No offsets to deal with (so if dimensions between mark and cut are critical....no worry that you may have bumped the torch or set the incorrect x-y marker offset.
    - No material contact (small pieces need to be held / clamped down with pneumatic marker.

We have been plasma marking on industrial machines for over 25 years. Industry uses them for layout work (bends, weld locations, bevel locations, hole locations) and occasionally part identification (part number, PO number, etc.). On entry level and light industrial that want to mark I see these needs...as well as artistic marking, opens up a whole new way to do art with variable depth / width marks that can show definition in art (as opposed to having to cut all the way through)

The small ("Built By") letters in my picture are about 1/2" tall. I suppose if you had a machine with better motion (acceleration) you may be able to do lettering a bit smaller.....but this is definitely not a jewelers engraver! When the plasma starts from 0 ipm....and has to accelerate to the speed that provides the best mark....expect a deeper mark, when you slow in corners, expect a deeper mark.

The marking nozzle can handle to 26 amps. When the Powermax45 XP senses below 26 amps and the selector in the marking mode.....air flow is lowered as well as post flow time is reduced (so if using argon there is less consumption). Using this nozzle at 20 to 26 amps makes a deeper, wider gouge which you can compensate by going fast.....however slowdown for corners and fine features makes for ugly, deep gouges or blowthrough in those areas. Just changing up or down 1 amp seems to make a big difference in the mark. Argon makes the lightest gouges.....you could experiment with other gas mixes....our development was based on the research for our industrial marking processes over the years. Using air or adding air makes the process aggressive....more speed is needed, deeper, wider gouges will occur. Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Last edited by jimcolt; 10-24-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mechanic. These are fun projects! I have now built a number of different downdraft / filtration systems...they get better each time. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Very nice little tables you made there.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually,with the small Dotco engraver pin ,air slide setup, (Huge key)and the mini floating head. It is not real finicky on to holding the plate real solid. Just a small piece of steel laid over it.No real issues on having to mess with speed either. Forgiving.. Pretty quiet too. Plasma torch cutting is louder, IMO. When you set engraver up to run on air down pressure or travel distance only, pretty much all the things you say are true.Nightmare on setup.. I change out to a 10 dollar die grinder, and it will change the line depth,and width depending on the bit more then anything..

Just wanted to see if I wanted to put some effort into plasma marking or not.. For detail, I think not, for other things maybe..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist