+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Hobart 4 cylinder portable welder

Saskatchewan, Canada, (right above North Dakota and Montana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Hobart 4 cylinder portable welder

Hi, found this old girl, has not run in years, what would it be worth and anyone know anything about these units? I can't find too much info on it. Is it a WW2 military surplus?
    Am I right in assuming its a 200 amp welder?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by MilitiaMetals; 12-29-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Hobart 4 cylinder portable welder

If all the parts are there (mag/distributor, water pump, etc.) I'd say $1/amp. No telling what you will find even though it looks to be in good shape - except it's covered in some strange white stuff.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

ya I offered the lady $200, was her late husbands. Thanks for the reply duaneb55

Post Thanks / Like

That thing is too friggin cool. Not sure of the age but the steel wheels on the trailer look to be late 30's to early 40's style. I have a set of 40 ford wheels for my rod that look kind of similar.
    Lincoln 175 HD
    Victor 100c

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I am thinking mid 40's to early 50's I am finding it hard to get info on it and see if there are parts for the engine

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up this one for $200.00. It has a Kaiser Motor.

Call Hobart and they have someone that will help you find info. Mine had no tags. so they just took a good guess. Ask for technical publications. Also, they recommended to contact Buffalo Welding (716)875-3340, for older manuals.

Parts for Kaiser are still available. I found http://www.kaiserwillys.com/ They even have a service manual.

I've been told the amperage dial, and some parts like that are hard to find.

Name:  test 069.jpg
Views: 6954
Size:  51.7 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Most Kaisers came out with Red Seal Continetals. They were an industrial motor first and formost. Mac

Post Thanks / Like

hiya Stick-Man i have the same machine....my deal wasn't as good as yours...but..it worked at the time...i bought mine in 2009 for $500 ..it was designed for military use if you don't mind...would you please pass on any info you have to me concerning this machine....mine was marked by a company called America Cryogenics and i haven't found out any info about this company....thanx...Tanman

Post Thanks / Like

Picture of the tag in the first post says it has a Hercules engine. Parts are still available from the original manufacturer.
    http://www.herculesengine.com/herculesparts.htm
    1982 Weldanpower 225 AC/DC Briggs
    1957 Idealarc 180 AC

Hobart Handler 140

Thermal Arc Dragster 85

Post Thanks / Like

To the right person, that oil bath air cleaner is probably worth more than the entire machine. Holy crap I just replied to a 3 year old post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tanman View Post
    hiya Stick-Man i have the same machine....my deal wasn't as good as yours...but..it worked at the time...i bought mine in 2009 for $500 ..it was designed for military use if you don't mind...would you please pass on any info you have to me concerning this machine....mine was marked by a company called America Cryogenics and i haven't found out any info about this company....thanx...Tanman

Sorry. I sold that machine to a buddy not too long after I bought it. I gave him the info, then he sold it. Look at my post above and that's how I got my info. Good luck!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

That is one cool old machine. I really hope it has a warm, dry, home by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally own it!

Post Thanks / Like

Dos it have the jeep industrial engine, if so you can get parts, i have two of the motors, i scraped out the gen/welder part for the engines . put one on a bandmill and the other on a edger as power units ran them as much as 8 hrs straight in a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaMetals View Post
    Finally own it!
    Not bad, took almost nine years.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Lady said she was going to sell it to a cousin, drove by the old farm last year and it was still there! So I called her and bought it! It's a 1945 Hobart with a Hercules engine, not seized thank god! Got it to pop and fart, have a carb kit and plugs on the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it also have a 3 phase electric motor to run it? I had an old Hobart like that hooked up to a Chrysler IND251 engine. Even some of the commercial made Hobarts also had the electric motor still intact. Theoretically you could unbolt the coupler and run it off the power in the shop. No complaints at all about how it welded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Does it also have a 3 phase electric motor to run it? I had an old Hobart like that hooked up to a Chrysler IND251 engine. Even some of the commercial made Hobarts also had the electric motor still intact. Theoretically you could unbolt the coupler and run it off the power in the shop. No complaints at all about how it welded.
    No, just the gas engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an old ad showing a build your own model that has the shaft extended to couple to an engine. It has the welding generator on one end and the electric motor still on the other end. Back then it was probably not worth building a motor delete option.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=MuE...welder&f=false
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 08-02-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics from when I saw it was still in the old farm yard.

21. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I got her home, weighed it at the grain terminal in town, 1350lbs

23. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an old boat with twin 6 cylinder Hercules marine engines. They ran in opposite rotations. Sure sounded sweet at the exhaust when both were at the same RPMs.
    Ernie F.

25. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Here's an old ad showing a build your own model that has the shaft extended to couple to an engine. It has the welding generator on one end and the electric motor still on the other end. Back then it was probably not worth building a motor delete option.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=MuE...welder&f=false
    A lot of those motor/generators with the extended shaft were meant to power other equipment in the shop by way of a belt pulley and lineshafts. Sounds a bit wasteful, but that welder was probably the biggest electric motor most shops of the day could run.

Post Thanks / Like

1500 RPM, similar to a Lincoln. I think the switch on the left could be a polarity switch and the switch for the motor would have been on the right where there is something different on your machine. Maybe be a power DC outlet for tools? I wish I would have taken pictures of all the machines I've had over the years. Even better I wished I would have kept some of them. I had the old Hobart and a 1959 Airco Hornet Special that was similar to an SA200 and now I have a 1961 Canadian SA200. I do have pics. of the Miller Trailblazer 55D I put on a welding truck. Sadly I traded it for a trailer and some cash but the trailer shop took the engine out to put in a skid steer because the welder needed a new contactor. Some fly by night idiot said it would cost thousands to repair and a contactor wasn't available. It was an Allen Bradley contactor. I suggested taking it to a Miller service shop but it was too late. The shop is still using the S54 deluxe wire feeder off an electric machine though. Really wish I could have kept that machine. I could do Mig, flux-core and stick from about 40 amps to over 500.

28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    A lot of those motor/generators with the extended shaft were meant to power other equipment in the shop by way of a belt pulley and lineshafts. Sounds a bit wasteful, but that welder was probably the biggest electric motor most shops of the day could run.
    Pretty compact for 15 HP (200 amp machine) motor too. It's funny in the old Hobart ads they mention the AC welder for users that only have single phase power.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist