+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best auto darkening welding helmet

Post Thanks / Like

Best auto darkening welding helmet

I was welding last night for about 30 minutes and I kept getting flashed as the lens switched on and off. I had a 150 watt work light about 12" away from my work piece to see what I was doing. I don't know what was causing the problem but it could have been from the intermittent popping in the MIG wire as I hit rusty or oily metal and lost the arc for a millisecond. I was using a Miller auto darkening welding helmet that's about 3 years old. I have Miller, Hobart auto dark helmets and 6 other fixed shade helmets. I normally use a fixed shade but in certain conditions I have to use an auto darkening helmet. My eyes feel like I have sand in them and I'm don with this helmet. I don't want to spend more than $250. Is there anything reliable that you would recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best auto darkening welding helmet

For the money ? I own 8 different helmets. Buy ona these first. You wont be disappointed
    http://www.savephace.com/Welding/

Post Thanks / Like

They don't list any prices on that website. That usually means I can't afford it. How much did you pay for it?

Post Thanks / Like

The last several years I’ve been using the ArcOne auto lenses. To date not one problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two helmets reputed to be the best are the Optrel e684 and the Lincoln 3550. Both use the 4c technology.

I own an Optrel and am stunned at how clear it is. The color rendition is excellent. I have never welded with a hood that was as clear as the Optrel.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    They don't list any prices on that website. That usually means I can't afford it. How much did you pay for it?
    Millenial eh ? Fuuuuuuuu
    https://www.amazon.com/Save-Phace-30...e+phace+helmet

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tRump. This is what you got to work with. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Uh..HUH. hu hu hu hu

10. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Uh..HUH. hu hu hu hu
    That is a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen those ArcOne lens inserts. It's a great idea because my favorite helmet has the flip up lens that I can use for grinding and I use a gold fixed shade in it.

I'll check out the Optrel 684 cost $433 and $888 on Amazon!!! Too much for my limited budget.
    https://www.amazon.com/E684-Silver-W...ds=Optrel+e684
    I think you mean the Lincoln Viking 3350. The Lincoln is in my price range $220 for the basic black version. I think I'm going to get that one. It has a lot of good reviews and 4.5 star rating. The 4 sensor design will probably have less false triggering than my Miller helmet with only 2 sensors. I wish I could test them before spending so much money on a helmet I may not like the fit, comfort, or visibility.

Systane Ultra eye drops are the best relief for dry arc flashed grinding dust encrusted eyes. You can also make an eye wash out of bottled water by drilling or poking a hole in the cap.
    Last edited by 69sa200; 11-28-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Like CEP stated above Arc One's are what I use if I'm using a auto lense. I just give one away to an apprentice to try as I wanted to go a shade darker on the next one. I checked the invoice, I bought that one in '08 and it's still working well.

Post Thanks / Like

I can comment on the Optrel e684, and it's freakin awesome. Might not be the largest viewing area compared to others, but when you experience the clarity and color, you forget all about viewing windows schmindows. The HTP Striker CSV is also very very clear, with amber optics. HTP great value at only $150 or so. Both I still use, both have a 1/1/1/1 rating. Go figure
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll suggest the arc one, pipeliner combo as well. It's worked for me for a year.

Post Thanks / Like

CEP, Which shade do you use? And how many amps is it safe to use it at? I usually weld at 250-300 amp max MIG and 200 amp max stick welding. I usually set my lens to shade 11 but sometimes it's too dark for thin sheet metal with MIG. Do they make an adjustable shade ArcOne lens? I don't' want to buy 2 of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a #9, #10, and #11. 95% of the time I use the #9 lens. Up to about 140-amps. More amps, and I use the #10. I don’t think I’ve used the #11 yet!
    Here is the ArcOne site.
    http://www.arc1weldsafe.com/
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

The one I give away was a #10. It was fine when we were outdoors and I had dark safety glasses on underneath my hood. Too light for me inside with clear glasses on. So the next one is a #11. I'm happy with it so far. Range of welding it's seen is 1/16" flux core to 3/32 7018.
    I don't believe they make a variable shade cartridge lense. I bet the space constraints limit them. I had to file the slot on my hood ever so lightly to get the Arc One to fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Hillbillyfab, what amperage were you using the #10 lens is too light? I have blue eyes. I've been told that blue eyes don't block as much UV rays so you need a higher shade lens to protect them. This could be why I'm getting flash burn and my friends ar not at the same amps. Most of my MIG welding is done on 1/8"-1/4" steel. On heavy plate or construction next most popular size is 3/8"-3/4" stick welding 125-200 amp 3/36"-5/32" 6010 and 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hillbillyfab, what amperage were you using the #10 lens is too light? I have blue eyes. I've been told that blue eyes don't block as much UV rays so you need a higher shade lens to protect them. This could be why I'm getting flash burn and my friends ar not at the same amps. Most of my MIG welding is done on 1/8"-1/4" steel. On heavy plate or construction next most popular size is 3/8"-3/4" stick welding 125-200 amp 3/36"-5/32" 6010 and 7018.
    Whoa I never thought of that I have blue eyes too, and I get itchy eyes from welding all day.... And I have my helmets turned to 12

Post Thanks / Like

Blue eyes here as well. As for amps, just like I stated above 3/32 7018 so what 85+/- and 1/16 232, 24V+/-.

Post Thanks / Like

Try these eye drops. I bought a 3 pack from Amazon for $23. They are expensive at the store about $10 for 1/3 oz but they are worth every cent.

Name:  eye drops.jpg
Views: 4401
Size:  36.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  lincoln hood.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  56.8 KB
    Name:  lincoln hood everything.jpg
Views: 4430
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  lincoln hood inside.jpg
Views: 4444
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  lincoln hood grind mode.jpg
Views: 4398
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  lincoln hood top.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  33.2 KB

I just got the Lincoln Viking helmet today. It feels like Christmas! The quality is top notch. The weight of the helmet is not bad at all it's just a thicker than normal plastic so it won't break so easily. I actually like that because it's not thin and flimsy. You get 5 extra clear lens covers for the front panel and 2 extra for the inside. It comes with a bandana and a carrying bag to keep it clean. It has 2 modes 5-8 and 9-13. Very clear lens and large viewing area. Very good value so far. I'll see how my eyes feel after a day of welding.

Post Thanks / Like

This Novus 2 scratch remover is awesome for removing smoke residue from your lens.

Name:  novus.jpg
Views: 4395
Size:  19.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

This Novus 2 scratch remover is awesome for removing smoke residue from your lens.

No way..... I always wondered if there was some way to lengthen the life of the polycarbonate lenses

I wonder how it would do on the helmet itself
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 12-02-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the entire helmet. I use a paper towel but a cotton rag would probably work better. Some times I have to clean it twice to get it crystal clear. It makes a huge difference in visibility.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist