+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best auto darkening welding helmet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best auto darkening welding helmet

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    No way..... I always wondered if there was some way to lengthen the life of the polycarbonate lenses
    Same here. First, though, regarding the OP's question, my TWECO 211i came with a TWECO Weldskill auto-dark helmet, and I'm amazed at how comfortable it is and the clarity of the view. I also have a $300 Miller digital, and haven't used it in months; the TWECO is so much better. Not too pricey, either, you can get them in the $75 - $95 range. Just my $.02 worth.

As far as the life of those lenses, holy smokes, I always wondered why they make them so soft. It's almost like you can just look at them and scratch them. If you accidentally brush your glove against one, it's Game Over for that lens. I'm thinking about cutting some pieces of thin glass just to use for this.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a safety, cost, and weight issue. If a grinding wheel chips or sends a high speed bur at your lenses it won't shatter. Glass is defiantly more durable and clearer than plastic. Laminated safety glass would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

@Ruark was that s special deal when you got the helmet with the 211i?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Best auto darkening welding helmet

I use a arcone s240 shade 10 I have had it for a year now and no problems stick or tig and I just got off of a little shutdown in a steel mill where I was working around some boilermakers and they spray pledge on there lens and and safety glasses and then wipe it off and it keeps your lens more clear and keeps dust and spatter from sticking so bad it works pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I tried spraying anti spatter spray on a lense once, lol it messed it up pretty badly

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried it for the first. I was using flux core .035" and I love this helmet! The lens is ultra clear and crisp. It's like going from black and white to a color TV. I can even see color when I'm welding. Blue for the arc white and red for the molten puddle and grey for the steel. My other lens is just different shades of green. And my eyes feel great.

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Optrel e684, I really like the grid button on the side.

Post Thanks / Like

You should check this one: Antra AH6-260-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with AntFi X60-2 Wide Shade Range 4/5-9/9-13
    Otherwise I can recommend you the top list of 2018: Visit Here

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  EBE54E01-9113-4147-8005-B4DDD09B365F.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  77.8 KB

This one works for me...a bit pricey though...

Post Thanks / Like

All I use anymore is the trusty fibremetal flip front shield. I currently have an Optrel auto dark lens in it. I use a shade 10 for everything except if I have to run .045 flux cor, then I go to a shade 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 69sa200 View Post
    This Novus 2 scratch remover is awesome for removing smoke residue from your lens.

Attachment 1559311
    Awesome... Thank you!
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get really fancy, compound bars a buffing wheels. I've been restoring a lot of plastic lenses recently and got pretty good at it...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

I have both
    1 is viking 3350
    1 FGS

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    If you get really fancy, compound bars a buffing wheels. I've been restoring a lot of plastic lenses recently and got pretty good at it...
    Careful.... they will melt in your hands, not in your mouth I guess I need to slow the wheel down or use less pressure. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Careful.... they will melt in your hands, not in your mouth I guess I need to slow the wheel down or use less pressure. LOL
    Yeah it took some practice and experimentation to figure out what works and what doesn't. Which compounds, which grits etc. Not that impressed with the Novus 2, 3. But I like the 1 for finish, cleaning.
    I use the M105 Meguiar's ultra cut compound for scratch removal depending on condition of the plastic.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 07-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

In looking at the Pipeliner hood on Amazon, the headgear seems "questionable".

I see you can order other headgear, ratchet, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to the most comfortable headgear to pair up with a Pipeliner hood and ArcOne auto lens?

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutly love the digital infinity so much i bought this clear light version to go along witb standerd infinity. Clarity and color is much improved on clear light version.

Some day i may try a 3350 for a lighter weight hood.

Name:  20180330_110245.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  55.7 KB

I run shade 10 most the time and helmet is so clear i can grab a chipping hammer skim some slag quick brush glance at welder temp and keep welding rarely lifting the hood. Ive had people drive buy me while im sprawled out i love that if i feel crowded by a machine i can quickly glance and see how close and what it is without lifting.
    Name:  20180701_183335.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  68.0 KB

Ohhh those save face hoods look interesting and ive seen them in stores but with a huge mark up and i think htp is sold at lowes

Post Thanks / Like

I use a light polish on mine then apply a liquid detail wax on afterwards and buff off with a microfiber towel. The wax seems to keep the shield cleaner longer.
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3
    PrimeWeld Tig 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread is old, but since it's up right now I have 2 penny's. Every manufacturer makes a great helmet. I just bought the Lincoln 3350 papr and I've been wanting it for about a year now. Lincoln's top dog. It's everything I thought it would be. Now, that's what I want...... what do you want? If you have a Miller rig you may want a Miller hood. the newest Clearview 4c Millers are beautiful. As always you have to deal with Millers neck breaking heavy weight. If you can, then buy a Miller if you want it. It's very close to the Lincoln 4c. 3M Speedglass, another very nice helmet.... does nothing for me. Bland as potato salad. Still a a great helmet, maybe that's what you want.... at least 3 others I can think of are top quality as well. Between them you can't really go "wrong", but each helmet is designed differently and things like controls and features are different. Miller is one of the kings of features. Their arc clock for on time arc is excellent and I miss that from when I had my Digital Infinity. Lincoln has very easy to use dials you can rotate instead of clicking buttons when you're trying to weld. Things like this are really what separate the hoods, not so much their quality. If it's the latest 4c variety of what they put out, it's all clear. I do however think Miller and Lincoln have it sewn up for arc tone and color. Both the Clearview Miller and 4c Lincoln are incredible color tone.

Don't worry about the clarity with all the newest helmets, just put each one in your hand and try the features. Imagine what it will be like to use while working, some things will be more annoying than others. Like I say I like Lincolns dials because it's hard to hit buttons wearing gloves, and no digital screen to read, just dial position.
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Lincoln 180 Mig
    Lincoln 3350 2.0
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Post Thanks / Like

One1
    Sweet response

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    One1
    Sweet response
    That pretty much says it all! Try them out and find out what works for you. One thing I don't understand-why doesn't anyone ever mention the Esab and Optrel hoods? I have both, (2 Esab, 1 Optrel) and they are about as good as you can get! I also have Miller and Jackson, but they are all heavy in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned to "Santa" about an Optrel E684 ... we will see
    Kell in Florida

Everlast Powertig 200
    Everlast Supercut 51P Plasma
    Everlast PowerARC 161 STH

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC - 1984

"I don’t care that they stole my idea … I care that they don’t have any of their own."

Post Thanks / Like

Pledge furniture polish works exceptionally well for removing bull**** on outside of lens. Just spray a good amount on lens cover, rub pretty hard with small circles until the wetness is gone. Then take a clean microfiber and polish away the haze. Quick and dirty!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguires polish for plastic, great for cleaning the windshield on my golf cart to.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Esab A50. I think i've had it atleast two years now. Great hood.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist