Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Under $100....and go!
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Under $100....and go!
    What metal? Brass, alu, steel, stainless?
    What sizes?
    What length (jobber, machine)?

Post Thanks / Like

There should be plenty of average quality bits for under $100,I have heard the cobalt bit set from HF is not bad at all.
    If you want your bits to last a long time,I suggest you use them in a drill press(if possible) with stock well clamped, and definitely use a good quality lubricant like Walter coolcut. I hate to use my good quality cobalt bits in a cordless drill,they are so brittle they break in no time, then I end up with an incomplete set.
    Name:  imagemagic.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  26.8 KB
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

If your using them in a keyless Chuck , I would use mechanics length with the 3 flats . I like the Viking brand. My lws ( Mississippi Welders supply) has them for 80$ right now. Maybe check Weldfabulous, since they are the online sales of mws.

Post Thanks / Like

Drillco brand drill bits are by far the best bits I've had. I have drill thousands of holes insteel ranging from an eighth of an inch to half an inch. What steel thicknesses ranging from an eighth of an inch to 3 inches thick. As long as you keep them oiled and don't go too fast they last twice as long as the Fastenal brand. I've also had pretty decent luck with the Milwaukee drill bits

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Drill-...QQ51XCJYABFDZV

1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths
    even made in the US
    How do you know the blacksmith's dog? When you hollar at him he makes a bolt for the door!

Post Thanks / Like

Norseman. I have used these for 15 years, on my 2nd set and I'm not gentle on drill bits.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent years as a toolmaker then some more years as a CNC programmer and for home use and I believe professional use you can't beat the 115 piece Cobalt set from Harbor freight for price and durability, IMO. I've had mine for a year and used them many times and they've never disappointed me. 😃

They come on sale for $90 regularly.

http://m.harborfreight.com/115-pc-co...set-61886.html

Good luck!
    Mike

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever drill stainless, look for cobalt or zirconium nitride coated. Drive across the border to a Canadian Tire when they have them on sale and you'll make out like a bandit with the 78 cent dollar.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the HF cobalt 115 piece set about 3 years ago. Outstanding quality for the price. I've drilled hundreds of holes with them and still going strong. Used for 304,1018,4130,cast,brass,bronze and 6061.
    Norseman quality bits:
    http://www.harryepstein.com/index.ph...ct_detail=2604

Advan Guest

I'm not here to recommend any particular set of bits, but to advise you to stay away from the hype of all the crazy alloy and coating marketing BS.... I usually recommend nothing more than good bright HSS bits, but do agree a cobalt alloy bit is nice, if from a quality manufacturer. Forget coatings, they're worth nothing unless you're in the business of repetitive high-speed drilling like in some sort of production environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Norseman/Viking bits cobalt bits?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Are the Norseman/Viking bits cobalt bits?
    Yes, Viking seems to be better priced than Norseman, as far as I know, same manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

norseman/ viking is viking/ norseman. same stuff from my reads

and both are great and what i demand. there is a long running joke about how i "took gold in the 1990 something (insert year of your choice) hand drilling championship." and i do feel that i am great at drilling holes with a handheld. feed, speed, lube (mike o cut) and telling myself "i am the drill press" with norseman or viking bits renders great holes.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Yes, Viking seems to be better priced than Norseman, as far as I know, same manufacturer.
    Ok thank you. These bits are now on my growing list of tools to purchase.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-01-2016 at 01:05 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered these Norseman Drill Bits 44170 Ultra Dex Type 240-UB 135 Degree Split Point Magnum Super Premium Jobber Drill Set (29 Piece) on Amazon for $71.92
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-03-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Champion Brute bits. Just over 100 for the 29 piece set on Amazon. Worth every penny. Usually get over 100 holes between sharpening with the 29/64 bit on 316ss. Gotta keep them cool though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents...sorry for bumping...

I drill thousands of holes annually in most metals and some plastics. Yes, I do "keep score" regarding how many hundreds of inches of material a certain drill bit can penetrate. My shop machines everything from plastics to steel that is nearly 60 Rockwell C.

Sharpen drill bits? I only sharpen drill bits that are larger than diameter 0-1/2". Used correctly many bits have "collapsed" flute edges by the time their point is worn to the need for sharpening and will have a problematic performance after sharpening. In essence; they are not worth grindng.

In an emergency I will use a drill point gauge and grind one by hand. That is a skill that is all but lost I guess and even I am not a fan of it. As soon as a replacement is available that bit will hit the scrap can.

None of the "home shop" drill bit grinders I have seen will make a correct point on a drill bit. Drill bit grinding is every bit as serious as the grinding of other cutters and requires specialized machinery that one does not purchase for a few hundred dollars.

So, even though there are at least three (03) established and common point angles and web and helix types and materials from that drill bits are made; what would I recommend to someone who wants to drill everything from soft materials all the way through steel hardened into the high 40's Rockwell C?

Very simply this: Select drill bits made from M42 Cobalt like this types https://mechanicguides.com/best-cobalt-drill-bit-sets/ alloy high-speed steel with a heavy web and a 135-degree split point or "crankshaft grind" as the old fellows call it. Purchase such tools only from American or a select few European makers.

TiN (Titanium nitride) coating? Only if you do as I do and expect a drill bit to produce a few hundred to a few thousand holes. Otherwise you might as well pour your money down the sink. Carbide? Only for very special applications with super accurate machine spindles.

The common twist drill bit is still the most efficient metal removal tool ever designed regarding cubic inches/horsepower/minute. It is also the most abused metal removal tool ever designed.

McMaster-Carr pricing is fine. Another source is Suncoast Precision Tools https://www.suncoasttools.com/

The worst gimmick? Anything that is TiN coated and made in China or India. Buy cheap, expect garbage. A plain Jane American simple high-speed steel uncoated drill bit will outperform these gimmicks any day.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a $100 precision twist set in HSS, as well as a $80 Harbor Freight cobalt set.

They're both equally good at drilling holes... The downside is sharpening the harbor freights is tough because I use a drill doctor and it pretty much doesnt work for those bits unless you have 4 hours to kill.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 11-13-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

drill bits 1/2" and up were from new york twist drill and cincinnati tool. anything smaller was disposable. we had a machinist who sharpend the bits on an antique milwaukee pedestal grinder.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Another recommendation for Norseman. I’ve been using their Magnum drills for over 30 years. Before that I used Butterfield and Cincinnati Twist when I had my machine shop.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toster View Post
    Just my two cents...sorry for bumping...

I drill thousands of holes annually in most metals and some plastics. Yes, I do "keep score" regarding how many hundreds of inches of material a certain drill bit can penetrate. My shop machines everything from plastics to steel that is nearly 60 Rockwell C.

Sharpen drill bits? I only sharpen drill bits that are larger than diameter 0-1/2". Used correctly many bits have "collapsed" flute edges by the time their point is worn to the need for sharpening and will have a problematic performance after sharpening. In essence; they are not worth grindng.

In an emergency I will use a drill point gauge and grind one by hand. That is a skill that is all but lost I guess and even I am not a fan of it. As soon as a replacement is available that bit will hit the scrap can.

None of the "home shop" drill bit grinders I have seen will make a correct point on a drill bit. Drill bit grinding is every bit as serious as the grinding of other cutters and requires specialized machinery that one does not purchase for a few hundred dollars.

So, even though there are at least three (03) established and common point angles and web and helix types and materials from that drill bits are made; what would I recommend to someone who wants to drill everything from soft materials all the way through steel hardened into the high 40's Rockwell C?

Very simply this: Select drill bits made from M42 Cobalt like this types https://mechanicguides.com/best-cobalt-drill-bit-sets/ alloy high-speed steel with a heavy web and a 135-degree split point or "crankshaft grind" as the old fellows call it. Purchase such tools only from American or a select few European makers.

TiN (Titanium nitride) coating? Only if you do as I do and expect a drill bit to produce a few hundred to a few thousand holes. Otherwise you might as well pour your money down the sink. Carbide? Only for very special applications with super accurate machine spindles.

The common twist drill bit is still the most efficient metal removal tool ever designed regarding cubic inches/horsepower/minute. It is also the most abused metal removal tool ever designed.

McMaster-Carr pricing is fine. Another source is Suncoast Precision Tools https://www.suncoasttools.com/

The worst gimmick? Anything that is TiN coated and made in China or India. Buy cheap, expect garbage. A plain Jane American simple high-speed steel uncoated drill bit will outperform these gimmicks any day.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.

Wow ... I'm just the opposite. I save every drill bit. I even pick up
    anything I find at the junkyard, yard sale or flea market. I have
    six different bit sharpeners but I don't like to take the time to sit
    them up so I hand sharpen everything on a grinder. I hope you
    take your old bits to a yard sale for people like me to buy. My most
    expensive sharpener Is a Darex but the one I like the best is an old
    industrial Black & Decker unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was an apprentice tool maker we made custom drills with HSS for the manufacturing shop to use in production, lead man used to tell me we had to make them faster and cheaper or they would buy them , Years later i was working in a sign shop and I sharpened some drills on the grinder , owner said not to do it as the last guy couldn't sharpen them to save his life ,they all wobbled he was amazed when they drilled true holes. only HF drill bits I used were crap,Boss though he got a good deal on on a set of that rainbow colored junk, they would round over on the first or second hole.

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can find a Cleveland Twist drill index in cobalt for under $100..
    Cleveland makes about the best drills I've ever seen, besides the inserted or solid carbide drills..

Precision Twist Drill is another great brand, might be cheaper than the Clevelands.

Also do yourself a favor a purchase a carbide spot drill while your at it .
    Last edited by brucer; 11-14-2018 at 11:37 PM.