Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Do any of ya'll use the stepped hole cutting drills and if so what brands do you use?

Name:  step bits.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  66.7 KB
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Do any of ya'll use the stepped hole cutting drills and if so what brands do you use?

I usually dont use them, much rather use a real drill or annular cutter but the cost difference of the harbor freight units vs name brands is insane. I can't justify buying anything else being they can't be sharpened and I can throw out 5 harbor freight ones for 1 name brand.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them a fair amount. 1/8" and less. The Irwin used to be pretty good, Lennox seem ok, klein are really good. Going to try a viking brand, should be here tommorow, if so I will post how it performs. They also work well for debburring holes and round tube.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah I had not even thought about using them to debur tube and pipe.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a few sets of step drills at HF (drillmaster) a few years ago. They out perform the greenlees I use at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arcflash View Post
    I bought a few sets of step drills at HF (drillmaster) a few years ago. They out perform the greenlees I use at work.
    Seriously I figured they would be junk.

I am still waiting to hear how the vikings worked for M J D

Post Thanks / Like

The stepped drills from Ruko are very good, but they are not cheap, best prices I have seen are on amazon.de. Irwins are also good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX TIGRunner
    Fronius Transsteel 2200

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously I figured they would be junk.

I am still waiting to hear how the vikings worked for M J D
    I received the 1/2" step bit today. I tried it out on some 14 gauge with some cutting oil and it drilled really well. Not quite as fast as a good 1/8" bit for the pierce on the first step, but overall pretty good. After piercing it drilled smooth and fast thru all the steps. Overall, better than any others I have used. I would recommend them over other brands.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advan View Post
    I'm not here to recommend any particular set of bits, but to advise you to stay away from the hype of all the crazy alloy and coating marketing BS.... I usually recommend nothing more than good bright HSS bits, but do agree a cobalt alloy bit is nice, if from a quality manufacturer. Forget coatings, they're worth nothing unless you're in the business of repetitive high-speed drilling like in some sort of production environment.
    Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about, those coating are anti wear coatings and aid in keeping the bit running cooler among other things.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

For the record: DRILL HOG, despite their two American flags on their logo, are made in China. Deceptive advertising at best IMHO!
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Miller Coolmate 1.3 Coolant System
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Post Thanks / Like

The 12 step is what I use most at work. Shop buys them, I've tried Lennox, Milwaukee, Irwin and harbor freight.
    Doesn't matter which brand, the 11/16 step rounds over and is a bear to get past
    Don't know why, it's done it on every one I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a few of the TEMO brand carbide steps and so far they are pretty dern good haven't broke one yet but i tend to be a little careful with drills in general... although anything below a 1/16th in a hand drill is just asking for it

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  s-l1600a.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  24.2 KB
    Name:  s-l1600b.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  17.8 KB

https://www.ebay.com/sch/golden_coulee/m.html?_nkw=step

Post Thanks / Like

Back to twist drills. You might want to look at Cle-Line drill bits. They are usually 135 degree split points and work extremely well on metal. Bonus: They are made in Seneca, SC. Bonus 2: They are not especially expensive.
    Available at the usual places including Home Depot.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy Champion products when accuracy and durability matter. I should mention I don't own any of their step drills http://www.championcuttingtool.com/a...ep-drills.html

And use a cutting paste when your drilling horizontal and overhead holes, it really does make a difference.
    Last edited by tackit; 12-03-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Fnord5 for that tidbit of info. Taking notes.

ronsii I'll have a look at those as well.

Henry TY for bringing the two flags not made in good ol USA Hog wash Crap-O-La to our attention ...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the drill hog m 7 off of ebay they are way to brittle I chipped the 3/8s in the mill. And snapped off several of them hand drilling, absolute garbage was going to warrentee them but all i will get is more crap that chip when they break through or snap off deep. Ihad a set of irwin max i really liked got dozens of holes out of each one. Replaeced them with another set just like them. they had changed the heat treatment and would snap off if you breathed to hard on them. All my hand drilling is done with a milwaukee hole shooter without the second handle. I have twisted the shanks on the harbor freight silver demming sets. nothing quite like untwisting your drill bit.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've broken a single bit in the drill press since I slowed it down to 80 rpm. I do leave a little slack in the belts so they slip when it jambs. Hand helds of course are a different story...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

On the steel corrigated decks I've drilled thousands of holes with these for bang it's inserts all different brands usually Lenox but that's just what the supply house sent, they make sense in alot situations, most pressure and heat is on a initial hole after that it works like a annular cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Being an electrician I use them a lot. Used Greenlee for a while, right now we are using the Dottie ones with the replaceable tips (the tip is what dulls first) and they are holding up pretty well, just have to watch that tip when drilling a live enclosure as the tip like to drop off when it comes through. Seldom need to go bigger than 1/2" as at that point we insert the punch to finish the hole for whatever size pipe we are fitting. When the tips go dull you can just start with a regular twist bit but sometimes for drilling into live enclosures that is kind of dangerous.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... I didn't know they made them with a replaceable tip. I am currently looking at one that goes out to 1 3/8 and would like one that goes to 1.5" if they make them...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Replacable tips is kind of cool. Ever break a tip off leaving the threads below the surface in the hole?

Post Thanks / Like

X2 for CLE-LINE, available at home depot and lowes, made in USA, good metal, sharp, competitive pricing to norseman. I've had good luck with Milwaukee shockwave drill bits as well, but for pete's sake don't use an impact for metal drilling! I'm also a fan of the harbor freight step bits, they last decently and one cannot go wrong for price per cut. Use cutting fluid and go slow! Learn how to sharpen twist drill bits by hand (not that hard, 30 mins to competence, draw reference angle line on tool rest with sharpie), and learn to read the chip for pressure. Remember a hot chip (within reason) is taking the heat from the cut, when i use the step bit in thicker material the chips burn my arms if not protected. P.S. I bought drill hog m42 bits and they aren't the worst, though far from the best - sharpen extremely well but tend to chip on the corners, they're better than most in the drill press and about average in a hand drill due to chipping.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 12-09-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of Viking mechanical drill bits made by Norseman and the have performed beyond expectation, I highly recommend them:
    https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Norsem...et+%2829+Piece
    Last edited by distrbd; 12-10-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr..._shopping=true

Forgot who makes them, but very good bits. Actually ground properly. Handy to have all the sizes, especially if you do a lot of tapping.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a funny HF story: when south, visiting grandpa in Santa Rosa, I stopped by the local HF store and needing some extra weight in my baggage to replace that of the canned salmon just dispensed, I could not help but buy an on sale 29 pc. super-duper drill set (tiN coated, of course) for $19! They MIGHT be useful as a nail, in something like balsa or perhaps used to remove hardened ear wax. Of course I knew better! Of course I couldn't help myself! I'm pretty good at sharpening drill bits but alas, they are still nails with a twist. Sure looked good, though...

I've had a 29 pc. set of Hanson's HSS (now Irwin) for longer than I can remember. Most of the wear is dingle-berries on the shank. Though it is true that most of my work is with AL, still, they will pass on ready-teddy after I croak.

SO...here's my offer to the OP's query, and cobalt to boot:

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-3...+drill+bit+set
    Last edited by Yofish; 12-12-2018 at 11:08 PM.