Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Walter makes a decent job site 29 bit set. A bit hard though so dont drop em or they chip

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought some Drill Hog Premium Pig Steel, so let's see if they're all they're cracked up to be when they get here....
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Just bought some Drill Hog Premium Pig Steel, so let's see if they're all they're cracked up to be when they get here....
    I tried just about all their offerings... so so... like most any other 'hyped' offerings out there... I will say they're a little better than run of the mill HF drills

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    For the record: DRILL HOG, despite their two American flags on their logo, are made in China. Deceptive advertising at best IMHO!
    Well, that sucks. I just ordered from them again as I've been very happy with their drill bits. I'd swear their ads used to claim they were 'made in America', but now I can't find that specific claim anymore. They still have the "USA" there in the description, implying that's where the product is from.... but you see a lot of people trying to play that game on ebay nowadays.

I was really happy with the quality of their smaller bits as I usually run through 3/16" and 7/32" pretty quick and liked being able to source American products. I guess my search for an American-Made drill bit will have to continue!

6. Likes N2 Welding, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick search on ebay turned up Cle-Line drill bits, as well as others, available through Bower's Tool. Haven't bought from them but they seem to have decent prices and a lot of their products are clearly labeled as 'Made in America' or 'Made in Germany', both of which I prefer over a Chicom Crapshoot.

https://www.ebay.com/str/bowerstool

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drill hog is pretty good (deceptive IMO LYING advertising aside), they have different metals which are better suited for different applications (hand vs drill press). Any m7 or m42 steel mix will be brittle at the edges, unfortantely, and won't last long hand drilling.

Cle-line is good stuff! Made in the USA and high quality, I'd recommend them over drill hog all day. They're available locally through lowes here, at very decent prices - sometimes they go on sale as well.

Aside from that norseman is pretty much the well known standard for quality, get regular HSS for hand drilling IMO.

Learning to sharpen a drill bit is not as difficult as it seems, and will save you so much frustration in the long run (I even do it with a hand held belt sander on the go).
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-13-2020 at 06:22 PM.

10. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked guhring back when I machined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    Drill hog is pretty good (deceptive IMO LYING advertising aside), they have different metals which are better suited for different applications (hand vs drill press). Any m7 or m42 steel mix will be brittle at the edges, unfortantely, and won't last long hand drilling.

Cle-line is good stuff! Made in the USA and high quality, I'd recommend them over drill hog all day. They're available locally through lowes here, at very decent prices - sometimes they go on sale as well.

Aside from that norseman is pretty much the well known standard for quality, get regular HSS for hand drilling IMO.

Learning to sharpen a drill bit is not as difficult as it seems, and will save you so much frustration in the long run (I even do it with a hand held belt sander on the go).
    But will Lowe's warranty broken bits? Likely nope.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes will probably exchange or refund the bits if you have a fairly legitimate complaint, and likely even with a BS obvious user error complaint, to be honest. Lowes and H.D. are great about returns and exchanges - to their own detriment (why tweakers love to steal from them).

Cle-Line would also likely stand behind their product with a legitimate complaint of manufacturing defect - even though no warranty is given or even implied on Cle-Line bits.

Drill hog will likely not warranty a broken bit either, please let us know if you successfully get an exchange if one breaks. I drove by their exchange address in rancho cucamonga a few years ago when I bought their stuff, it was a mail boxes etc. type store front that rents P.O. boxes. I've never broken broken one of their bits - just chipped them all to hell (cut edge and chipping are not warrantied - only a catastrophic break/shattering would be). They sharpened up real well though and worked great in a drill press.

Do you know any company that really warranties bits? Snap on and Mac have tried for a while. There was another company with prices to match, but i believe they basically have a limit on exchange as well.

Bits are consumables, plain and simple. They are expensive for home gamers but they are like blades - warranties are a losing game in consumables.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-15-2020 at 12:47 AM.

14. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have written confirmation from Drill Hog on Ebay explicitly stating that they will indeed warranty broken bits, even if they are using in hand-drill operations. I was sure to state that when I asked them. "probably" and "likely" are assumptions that you are making, and while I'm not saying they are wrong, but they are assumptions none the less for Lowes/HD/Cle-line, the same as my assumption that they will probably not warranty them. Perhaps they would, but I don't want to find out otherwise when the time comes. I much prefer written confirmation. Drill Hog did provide this.
    Last edited by Oscar; 08-15-2020 at 04:02 PM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Ever see the Tommy Boy scene about warranties?

If you do break one and warranty it let us know if they stand true to their word and how the whole process goes. I've never broken their bits and am pretty satisfied with them except for the made in usa lie (not sure if they still push this) and very a common complaint about not being able to get them warrantied at the time (3 or so years since I bought them). It would be great if they did warranty the stuff with little hassle, would sway me to buy another set.

Are those pig iron bits any good? They definitely looked interesting and when they came out I almost bought a set myself, but I'd figure I'd wait a while to see the reviews. I'd be interested in a quick review of them if you get the time after you get a chance to test them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I remember Tommy Boy, lol.

I don't know how good they are, but surely they are better than the $20 set of Skil HSS bits that I have here. I'll definitely post up my impressions after I get to use them for a few things here and there.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy drill bits. Probably won't buy another one in my lifetime, unless there's a catastrophic failure. Or, I need a large S&D size that I don't have.

I also have pretty much quit using coolant when drilling, unless I'm in a situation where I can't remove a bit because my setup hasn't enough clearance to crank my knee down enough to remove the bit.

Strange ya ask?

Not strange...................... I LEARNED TO USE A BENCH GRINDER Something I should have done 20yrs ago. Stupid is as stupid does.

All this stuff about exotic tool steel It's like "cobalt" in the marketing world. "Cobalt" bits are just harder/tougher HSS bits.

My only criteria is runout. if the bit is made from a good blank, and made properly, it has minimal runout.......if any (well, mostly none)

If it's hand drilling in a crappy environment, I use my import cheapo bits. I could care less if they dull fast (see: bench grinder). And I don't particularly care if I break one because I did a lousy job drilling. Coupla bucks (shrug).

No runout, well made, and reasonably priced for the size of the set.................AMERICAN MADE ONLY. The import sets are overpriced when you consider the quality.

A nice set I own. https://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...ion+Jobber+Set

Grab a set of these, or something similar + a cheap 6" bench grinder.....................and you're set for life.

Warranties.................I expect a warranty on a new truck..........not on a drill bit

I suppose I need to add a bit of info.............hardest thing I drill is Rockwell 30ish, so no need for something made to drill diamonds

19. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That cheep bench grinder ya'll pick up from HF ain't gonna work too good with >.01 axial runout and >.006 radial runout

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what a Black and Decker runs these days. Mine was probably about 30 some bucks back in the day. Seems to run fine if you keep the wheels dressed. Not sure what an equivalent grinder costs these days. Something like this is adequate for sharpening https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-...-205216320-_-N

Probably work fine. No need for fancy tool rests, you can do a better job freehanding the bit when sharpening. The rests on these things just add a measure of safety should the bit get away from ya.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 08-16-2020 at 02:32 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Post Thanks / Like

The 6 inch DeWong AKA black and decker's run about 100 bux... they got decent tool rests or at least better than the stamped little things some of the chin's come with

Still pretty hard to do 1/16 inch and smaller sizes especially if you want to do multi angle split points

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I used to buy drill bits. Probably won't buy another one in my lifetime, unless there's a catastrophic failure. Or, I need a large S&D size that I don't have.

I also have pretty much quit using coolant when drilling, unless I'm in a situation where I can't remove a bit because my setup hasn't enough clearance to crank my knee down enough to remove the bit.

Strange ya ask?

Not strange...................... I LEARNED TO USE A BENCH GRINDER Something I should have done 20yrs ago. Stupid is as stupid does.

All this stuff about exotic tool steel It's like "cobalt" in the marketing world. "Cobalt" bits are just harder/tougher HSS bits.

My only criteria is runout. if the bit is made from a good blank, and made properly, it has minimal runout.......if any (well, mostly none)

If it's hand drilling in a crappy environment, I use my import cheapo bits. I could care less if they dull fast (see: bench grinder). And I don't particularly care if I break one because I did a lousy job drilling. Coupla bucks (shrug).

No runout, well made, and reasonably priced for the size of the set.................AMERICAN MADE ONLY. The import sets are overpriced when you consider the quality.

A nice set I own. https://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...ion+Jobber+Set

Grab a set of these, or something similar + a cheap 6" bench grinder.....................and you're set for life.

Warranties.................I expect a warranty on a new truck..........not on a drill bit

I suppose I need to add a bit of info.............hardest thing I drill is Rockwell 30ish, so no need for something made to drill diamonds
    I'm decent at using a bench grinder to sharpen up bits, I totally agree there. I can even get a semi-decent split point using a 3" air cut off tool with a 1/16" cut off wheel. But If I can either avoid breakage [on the smaller bits] or have them replaced, it's a definite plus for me.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Also got some masonry bits

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Well the work, but time will tell how they hold up. Let's see how they are 6mo from now. I can't say I'd be drilling anything other than mild steel and aluminum, so perhaps I won't really be ever to test their claims.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

26. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

... time will tell how they hold up. Let's see how they are 6mo from now.
    My experience with them has been decent. I drill a ton of 3/16" and 7/32" holes, and usually have to drill the 7/32" holes to clean up the deformed portion once I forge in the countersink on the hooks I make.

Aside from a couple that have been seriously magnetic, the bits I've bought from Drill Hog have survived well. They perform better and last longer if I'm generous with the cutting fluid. The only problem I've had is chipping on the cutting edge where I have to drill into the countersink. Because the full edge isn't supported like when you cut through new steel, the outer portion chips.

On angle iron and 1075 or 1095 tool steel.... expect the cutting edge to be ruined pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    My experience with them has been decent. I drill a ton of 3/16" and 7/32" holes, and usually have to drill the 7/32" holes to clean up the deformed portion once I forge in the countersink on the hooks I make.

Aside from a couple that have been seriously magnetic, the bits I've bought from Drill Hog have survived well. They perform better and last longer if I'm generous with the cutting fluid. The only problem I've had is chipping on the cutting edge where I have to drill into the countersink. Because the full edge isn't supported like when you cut through new steel, the outer portion chips.

On angle iron and 1075 or 1095 tool steel.... expect the cutting edge to be ruined pretty quick.
    The ones you've used were the premium pig steel or some other flavor?

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

The ones you've used were the premium pig steel or some other flavor?
    This was my last purchase of their 3/16" bits and I'm still working my way through them. I don't bother sharpening them if they get worn, chipped or whatever, since they're cheap enough to just buy a dozen at a time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Hog-U...72.m2749.l2649

Aside from the one magnetized 7/32" bit of the same type, I've never had a problem with them. Of course, that's when I thought I was buying American-made products. Now that I know they aren't made CONUS, I'll opt for Cle-Line and similar.

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    This was my last purchase of their 3/16" bits and I'm still working my way through them. I don't bother sharpening them if they get worn, chipped or whatever, since they're cheap enough to just buy a dozen at a time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Hog-U...72.m2749.l2649

Aside from the one magnetized 7/32" bit of the same type, I've never had a problem with them. Of course, that's when I thought I was buying American-made products. Now that I know they aren't made CONUS, I'll opt for Cle-Line and similar.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for your input/feedback.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

32. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at the receipt and I've had this 12-pack for a year and still haven't run through them. I drill through a ton of railroad spikes, rusty and full of inclusions, yet I'm apparently going through less than one bit a month. That's a pretty good track record, imo. Kept lubricated, they seem to hold up for a good long while even if you're drilling through thin material.

34. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not an expert, but in my trade we drill a $hit ton of holes, mostly in steel but also concrete and anything else you can imagine. The company supplies all drills, so what they give us is what we use. When a drill starts taking too long I toss it and grab another. I can get them to last a month or a couple holes, it depends on the situation. Usually they give us American, union made, black & gold drills, but lately they get the china crap from Grainger.

Please chime in if any of this is wrong, but some of the things I was taught about drilling are;

1. Use one smaller pilot bit for a starter hole. I usually use a 1/8" or a #7. Then go to your desired hole size, like 1/2". Do not step it like 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" then 1/2".

2. Use water or a coolant spray, not cutting oil. A drills enemy is heat, oil will not let it cut as efficiently.

3. Proper speed and pressure is when you get long curly's, not small chips.

4. The smaller the bit, use high speed. The larger, use slower speed.

I was told there are good deals and these are good drills at https://drillsandcutters.com/black-a...rills-premium/ The killer Force Drill bits are supposed to be high quality. I hope someone here can confirm that.

As far as step drills, this guy is pretty interesting. I would listen to him until I find he is wrong. We do use a lot of Dewalt step drills and they do last. Although I have not done any comparison testing myself.

Last edited by Stick-man; 08-23-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"