Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend me a good drill bit set for metal

Thanks stickman. I already have my drill bits, so hopefully that will help others looking into bits. As for cooling the bits, I'm not saying your teacher was wrong, but I just use oil as it seems to work good for me. I'm not drilling holes all day long.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I am not an expert, but in my trade we drill a $hit ton of holes, mostly in steel but also concrete and anything else you can imagine. The company supplies all drills, so what they give us is what we use. When a drill starts taking too long I toss it and grab another. I can get them to last a month or a couple holes, it depends on the situation. Usually they give us American, union made, black & gold drills, but lately they get the china crap from Grainger.

Please chime in if any of this is wrong, but some of the things I was taught about drilling are;

1. Use one smaller pilot bit for a starter hole. I usually use a 1/8" or a #7. Then go to your desired hole size, like 1/2". Do not step it like 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" then 1/2".

2. Use water or a coolant spray, not cutting oil. A drills enemy is heat, oil will not let it cut as efficiently.

3. Proper speed and pressure is when you get long curly's, not small chips.

4. The smaller the bit, use high speed. The larger, use slower speed.

I was told there are good deals and these are good drills at https://drillsandcutters.com/black-a...rills-premium/ The killer Force Drill bits are supposed to be high quality. I hope someone here can confirm that.

As far as step drills, this guy is pretty interesting. I would listen to him until I find he is wrong. We do use a lot of Dewalt step drills and they do last. Although I have not done any comparison testing myself.

If you want a super drill that will let you skip the steps to go right to the size you want try the Viking UB series drill bits. For what it is worth I have drilled 3/4" holes in one inch Hardox 400 with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not an expert, but in my trade we drill a $hit ton of holes, mostly in steel but also concrete and anything else you can imagine. The company supplies all drills, so what they give us is what we use. When a drill starts taking too long I toss it and grab another. I can get them to last a month or a couple holes, it depends on the situation. Usually they give us American, union made, black & gold drills, but lately they get the china crap from Grainger.

Please chime in if any of this is wrong, but some of the things I was taught about drilling are;

1. Use one smaller pilot bit for a starter hole. I usually use a 1/8" or a #7. Then go to your desired hole size, like 1/2". Do not step it like 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" then 1/2".

2. Use water or a coolant spray, not cutting oil. A drills enemy is heat, oil will not let it cut as efficiently.

4. The smaller the bit, use high speed. The larger, use slower speed.

I was told there are good deals and these are good drills at https://drillsandcutters.com/black-a...rills-premium/ The killer Force Drill bits are supposed to be high quality. I hope someone here can confirm that.

As far as step drills, this guy is pretty interesting. I would listen to him until I find he is wrong. We do use a lot of Dewalt step drills and they do last. Although I have not done any comparison testing myself.

I would agree with what you posted. Although I really don't see anything detrimental from using cutting oil as opposed to coolant. As for pilot hole, pretty much spot on unless your drilling a hole over 3/4", then I would go with 1)4" hole, over an inch , probably 3/8" pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much on the nose.

1. A pilot hole is your friend.... when you're drilling a big hole. The rule of thumb I was taught is that your pilot hole needs to match or be slightly smaller than the web thickness of the drill bit you're gonna need for the final hole. If I was drilling a 1/2" hole, for example, I might opt for a 3/16" pilot hole because it'll run fairly straight and true through the material and create a large enough hole that the web of the 1/2" drill bit isn't going to be spinning and "smearing" in the bottom of the hole. On smaller holes, it's usually a tossup as to wether a pilot hole is necessary.

2. Coolant is your friend, but I haven't found that water or coolant spray makes a measurable difference in a lot of situations. Cutting oil is designed to remove heat and lubricate the cutting edges, so it's doing exactly what a drill bit needs it to do. Something like water is great because it gets the job done and is cheaper... but then you have issues with rusting equipment because you've soaked it down with a bunch of water. Of course, everything depends on where you're working and what you're doing.

3. Yep. Though, it's important to remember that those little chips can also be a sign that your bit is getting worn.

5. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

• Best Overall: DEWALT DW1361 Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set.
    • Drill Hog 2.29 Pc Cobalt Drill Bit Set M42 HSS 29pc USA Drills.
    • Best Value: Tooluxe 10171L 13-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set.
    • DEWALT DW1354 Brad-Point Drill Bits.
    • Irwin Tools 3018002 Cobalt Metal Drill Bit Set.