+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts, been approved for a personal loan to consolidate for a truck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your thoughts, been approved for a personal loan to consolidate for a truck

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Yeah I don't want an ugly truck. For the record I am not a chevy / ford fan boy. I drive or own what I think looks the best and has all the comforting features needed. With that said what are the problems with the Ford or Dodge trucks?

4x4 is what I want. I won't be driving it all the time but I still would like to consider makes and models that get the job done using the least amount of fuel.

Should I consider a diesel or are they poor on fuel economy?
    I prefer Japanese vehicles normally too. I traded my 04 Titan for a '16 Titan with the Cummins. Have you considered a Titan? They have a 5.6L V8 and are actually pretty quick. The same body style had been out for years and mostly all the same parts so the common issues are pretty well known and easy to fix. The radiators tend to crack on the sides of the core after awhile, but it starts out as a very slight leak so you have time to address it before it would become catastrophic. Cost me $140 for a new one and about 2 hours of my time to install it myself. The other issue is a power steering line leak. Quite a few people, and what I was planning on doing before I traded it in, pull it out and take it to a place that makes hydraulic lines and have them make a replacement. Supposed to be a lot more durable than the OEM ones.

Also, they make them with a front bench seat or with a center console, and it's pretty easy to find either one depending on which you prefer. If they have extendable mirrors, then they have the tow package with different gearing.

I really liked mine, better than the 04 Lariat F150 I had before it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look at the gas vs diesel cost offset. 8vs 16mpg plus higher costs for oil changes and such, winter diesel additive etc, number of miles driven, cold start issues etc. The advantages of the diesel maybe a wash....

Composed with Swype on mobile. not responsible for typos.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider a Titan. I am under the impression Nissan parts are pricey.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Diesel engines last longer the rest of the truck does not need to keep that in mind. If you buy a truck with 250k or 300k miles the engine might be good for 500k but you bushings, bearings, steering , brakes, electrical, and interior is not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Vantage 300 kubota ,miller 304 xmt ,lincoln ln 25 pro , ranger 305 G, plenty of other tools of the trade to make the sparks fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Would electrical be an issue for any vehicle outside of snow zones? I'm in the California Central valley. The most my truck will see snow is about once or twice a year when I drive to the hills for some fun with the kids.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I would not be looking for a bigger truck if the family did not grow on me so fast lol. I actually am pretty attached to the Xtreme. I put the rear axle to drive line pinnion angle adjusting shims on it from Jags that run and changed the rear diff out with one from a 98 - 2000 Camaro iirc. So it has the Zexel Tortion rear differential now. Posi traction is fun in that little truck.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-02-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not asking what you think about my finances I have them under control very much higher interest rate loans from 20 something percent down to 6.9% fixed you do the math there is another reason as well but I won't get into it with you
    I was merely responding to the title of your thread.

Sounds like you're planning to spend too much on that model of truck, too. You might take a look at Kelley Blue Book and see what they're really worth.
    Last edited by steve45; 12-02-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Tiger you summed up the gas vs diesel well ty.

Just finished looking at the Titans. Most are very pricey like the Tundra. Less 4x4 Titans available as well. I still have to look up fuel consumption of all the vehicles. I could swear I remember several years ago people talking about the fuel economy being so well on the Chevy/GMC trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a brand new 2006 2500 HD Silverado the year I left GM. Even with my discount it was north of $40K. I got it loaded with leather. Everything but the Duramax. It was eight grand more lol.

Oil pump failed at 20K miles, smoked the cam bearings and they put a new engine in it. I was in Georgia driving back to Michigan from Florida with a load of machinery. The dealership kinda douched me around on some stuff.

Also went thru two CD players, had issues with the gas gauge and some other electrical stuff.

All and all not a warm and fuzzy experience. I sold it in 2012 before I got divorced. I dunno if I would buy another one.

Just my experience anyways.

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-02-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am aware stock cd players break. It is common for a lot of vehicles. I am aware of the guage cluster issues as well. My biggest fear is getting a truck with a tranny or engine resdy to throw in the towel. Transmissipns fail as well so I guess my biggest fear is getting a bad engine.

I will test for blown head gaskets prior to buying.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-02-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's the only experience I've had with that type of truck. Owned a couple S 10s and loved them both. The S 10 blazers are pretty good vehicles too. I had the 7.0 vortech in the big truck. They put a different engine in it when they repaired it. It was covered under warranty but I wasn't too happy with how it worked out.

Whatever you buy, check it out well and take someone with you who knows them if you have any doubts. Used vehicles can be a roll of the dice for sure. Especially if you finance it. I re consolidated some stuff when I went thru my divorce. I don't blame you if you can get a lower interest rate on some stuff and get a good reliable vehicle out of it. You know your finances better than anyone else.

Hell, I've robbed Peter blind to promise to pay Paul more times than I can count. I've also been self employed a long time too tho lol.

Just let any criticism roll off man. I don't judge, I've been there too.

Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it is going to be a nice little personal loan deposited directly into my bank account to do with as I please. Pay off about $4500 in credit card debt, buy a truck and do some other things here and there with the remaing balance from the loan.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. When I left GM I got about $42K out of a $70K lump sum buy out. I was living the big GM life and had over $20K in CC debt. I put the money in a checking acct, called both card companies and paid them off in full. Cut them up and never looked back. It's difficult not having a CC sometimes but I just don't trust myself with one now. It's too damn easy to use it. They can be an extremely useful tool tho. Again, I don't judge and don't tell anyone how to care for their finances. You're consolidating some stuff and getting a useful vehicle, not plugging it into a slot machine or drugs.

BTDT lol.

I mucked the loan around on my truck to get some equity out of it to buy some machinery to do a quick flip on once too. All part of the game man. I'm sure you'll do ok with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiger you summed up the gas vs diesel well ty.

Just finished looking at the Titans. Most are very pricey like the Tundra. Less 4x4 Titans available as well. I still have to look up fuel consumption of all the vehicles. I could swear I remember several years ago people talking about the fuel economy being so well on the Chevy/GMC trucks.
    Fuelly.com is the best place to get real world MPG's

AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

My current truck had a beat up body as it was from w landscaping co. Only had 141k on it and 11k on rebuilt trans the company had installed at a cost of $2k with receipt I Paid $2250 for truck, $700 for new set of tires, $100 for the liftgate as the truck had no tailgate, new battery, rear shoes and general service stuff it needed. So a little over $3k for a 95 F350 crewcab with floor shifted 4x4. Only get 7.5 to 10mpg, But I I'd pay about 2-3x that to buy a diesel version. Don't do enough miles now to justify the diesel.
    I also figured it's cheaper for me to rent an economy car for a week or fly when I go to L.A. To see my kids or take a weekend trip somewhere. Cost of rental is offset by fuel savings. Then I don't have to pay insurance auto loan, or maintain a second vehicle.

The CA equipment auctions suck as people way over bid in general if you are at the major city areas. I have some luck with the more rural CA area auctions. But SD, LA, SF and Sac are a joke. Got some good deals at local auction here in NV.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 that I bought new. Overall I like it. Unfortunately the transmission just went out at 136K and the estimates are from $1500 to $3400 to fix it. Ouch. The 4 wheel drive selector is in the dash and is a known weakness with this truck. I've only had to replace mine once so far. I don't think I'll ever buy a new truck again, but I've been pretty happy with this truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by davidlutz; 12-05-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Adding a photo

Post Thanks / Like

Nice truck David. I am looking at an 03 z71 extended cab not quad cab same color as yours with 211k for $6k.

so is the button selector what is known for going bad? How much for the replacement selector switch?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5906628509.html

Post Thanks / Like

I am aware of the Dexcool fiasco. My current truck " Blue '03 S-10 Xtream x-cab LS 4.3L Auto " still has a slow leak in the intake gasket. I got the gasket and never installed it. Instead I flushed the dexcool out and went with standard green coolant instead. Truck has less than 67k on it and cooling problems started right at the 30k mark when the warranty was expiring.
    Let me get this straight, you took a vehicle that runs an OAT based extended life coolant and switched it to a conventional type coolant which is not compatible and then complained about cooling system issues? Then, you blame it on Dex-cool which is the same extended life coolant that every other manufacturer runs today?

Post Thanks / Like

NO NO NO. The cooling system was all mucked up black looking and eating up the intake gasket. It was a factory Dexcool coolant problem which is the reason for the law suit. I flushed the system and replaced it with green. I know its not designed for the engine due to the steel/aluminum parts mix up. I did not cause the problem, I stopped it from getting worse. So many decent cars were scrapped due to the cooling issues caused by Dexcool.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-06-2016 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the green antifreeze made today, even in the past 5 years is designed to be mixed with any.
    Just look at the label, most made is compatible with all makes and colors.
    You can still find the old standard green stuff but it's not as common as it used to be. And the problem with mixing the dexcool and old green was it would turn the mixture into a mild acid and start the electrolysis thing where your aluminum would start to pit, heater cores blow, radiators blow and a thick sludge would stop up in the smaller passages.
    My 96 ford f150 rotted the head gaskets and has had a new radiator,water pump, timing cover gasket, head gaskets, heater core and metal coolant tube replaced due to crappy antifreeze. The truck only had 22k on it in 2012 when I inherited it. It now has 57k and I had to do all that work between 30 and 40 thousand miles. It had the factory coolant from 96 in it and all the factory hoses and even the original tires from 96 when I got it. The coolant only has a life of 5 years or so many miles before it turns to crap no matter what kind it is

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is to go buy antifreeze used in commercial trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Best bet is to go buy antifreeze used in commercial trucks.

Look for the words "low silicate formulation" when purchasing engine coolant/anti freeze products.
    Slob

Purveyor of intimate unparalleled knowledge of nothing about everything.

Oh yeah, also an unabashed internet "Troll" too.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks slob I will have to try to remember that.

ok so the funds cleared the bank last night while counting raindeer

Now the hard part begins. Finding a Z71 extended or quad cab GMC 1500 in the color we want with all the bells and whistles . I would like a blue truck with factory tinted windows light grey cloth interior able to seat 6. It might take a few months to find it but the hunt is half the fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks slob I will have to try to remember that.

ok so the funds cleared the bank last night while counting raindeer

Now the hard part begins. Finding a Z71 extended or quad cab GMC 1500 in the color we want with all the bells and whistles . I would like a blue truck with factory tinted windows light grey cloth interior able to seat 6. It might take a few months to find it but the hunt is half the fun.
    where abouts in CA are you, how far are you willing to travel...

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Stockton. If my lady drove we could drive several hundred miles for it. Anything more than that and I would have to fly. Only way I would do that is if the truck was from a trusted dealer and shipping costed more than a flight and Uber ride to pick it up. Distance is not too important. I prefer to buy from a warmer climate where the truck has not been subdued to snow and salty road conditions a lot. Like ca, az, nm, tx.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-06-2016 at 02:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist