Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im looking for a portable stick welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Im looking for a portable stick welder

Quote Originally Posted by DefectedSoul View Post
    i recently found out about ESAB and was wondering if they were good or not lol
    Well DefectedSoul, did you decide on a machine you like yet? What have you narrowed it down to?

If you truly want to be portable, consider an engine drive. No power source needed when you get where you're going to work, and you can run your other tools off of it.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 02-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That Fronius mini stick unit that ChuckE2009 just did a review on seems really stout.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VeeTtA_7EeEbmA

Of course portability can mean two things, slinging the product over your shoulder like a backpack to transport it to next available power source... Or trailering a multi hundred lb generator out to the middle of nowhere to weld. Both are "portable" but...

For many the former is more practical than the latter.
    Last edited by SlickmisterN; 02-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
    Miller S74-D
    Hobart Airforce 500i

Post Thanks / Like

That Fronius is awesome but not cheap. I have an Esab 161 but do wish it was foot pedal capable for lift tig. I am waiting to see what the price is on the new unit coming from HTP.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, but I use a Longevity stick weld 140. 60% duty cycle, dual voltage, carrying handle built in, digital readout, quiet fan. Can be purchased through brick and mortar stores so mail order problems are avoided. Excellent leads and nice little chipping hammer included. Caught it on sale and it's been a great little machine. I can burn 3/32 7014 and 7018 all day long on 120 volts, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I never understood why the OP needed something more portable. He already has a portable stick welder...It's not like a 210MP is exactly a dinosaur refrigerator sized transformer. Am I the only one who seems to have had enough of the trolling about miracle Chicom units that cost $99. It you want a tiny quality stick machine, it's going to cost, like those Miller Maxstar or new Fronius units (which I still can't seem to find anyone who actually stocks them) that actually come with a warranty...
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask